Sins of Our Fathers Story Hour - Fiends and Friends

Destan

Citizen of Val Hor
iwatt said:
And I like your Rogue gallery posts because you present a lot more than stats. Anybody, inluding myself, can make up stats.

I'll let you in on a secret - the reason I don't post too many stats is because I'm fearful of exposing my ignorance of the rules. I'm largely a 1E guy who skipped 2E and is now, still, learning 3E. I think I have a good handle on the rules, but all I need to do to temper my self-congratulatory smirk is to head into the Rules Forum and realize how little I know. Thus, if my answers are ambiguous and rambling, it's harder to pin me down. :)

And, on that note, I'd like to do two things:

1) Give a brief synopsis on the Sorrow Elf quest.

2) Explain my reasons for not including it in the story hour itself.

Adventure: Barrow Mounds of the Duskingdell

For this little adventure, I wanted to hearken back to the simple days of 1st Edition. Back then, everything in the dungeon didn't always make sense. The ecology might be unrealistic, there may be riddles that serve no "real world" purpose, there might be five barracks rooms and no privy chamber, etc. One only needs to peruse some old 1E modules or read Gary Gygax's column in Dragon to realize adventues are written much differently now-a-days than they once were.

Still, those old quests were fun. At least, I think so. So I wanted to steer away from the morbid, realistic campaign theme and throw a dash of simple fun to my players. I handed them the tattered scraps of an old journal that gave tantalizing hints toward riddles and puzzles, and then we set off.

The party kept going deeper and deeper into the earth beneath the barrow. I wanted the players to really feel like they were hundreds and hundreds of feet beneath the surface. Normally I shy away from including too many traps - I have found they slow down gameplay without enough of a return. But in the barrow mound I placed more than a couple - all of which the party easily disabled or circumvented.

Eventually they arrived at a large chamber. On one wall was a massive tapestry depicting an atlas of Ostia Prim as it was during former Ages. There were four "tests" associated with the map. If a PC touched various locales on the map in a certain order (again, coming from the journal I had supplied) they were whisked away (teleported) into an illusion.

These illusions depicted four scenes from the bloody past of Ostia Prim. One hinted at a horrible elven betrayal in the Arn Vale. Another had the party arrive on the parapets of Val Hor just when the Raki horsemen were swarming over the walls. The third had the party appear upon a Rorn mountain pass as now-extinct cave trolls rushed them. And the fourth placed them in Pell, when that city was but a fishing village, and again hinted toward a betrayal.

The players had to work together to ensure they remained cohesive as a group. Some of them would make their Will saves and not be subject to the illusions; others would not. It became a frantic, and fun, session as my players tried to help one another "out" of the illusionary scenes.

Finally, after they had "defeated" each illusion, and received a particular crystal shard after each, the party placed the shards within small depressions on a stone lectern fashioned for such a purpose. Thus was Belaraphon, the last Hero, summoned.

The Sorrow Elf spoke to the party. He explained a bit of his history and exhibited an emotion wholly foreign to the half-divine members of his ilk - regret. He gave the party a jeweled box, informed them Ral was contained within, and then disappeared - forever - from Ostia Prim.

The party buffed, prepared, and called forth Ral. The battle, like the earlier one with Ippizicus, was anticlimatic. One the party was able to close with the spiked chain-wielding demon, it was over rather quickly.

In short, the session was great for gameplay but I couldn't make it "work" in terms of updating the story hour.

I think it also mildly interesting to repeat the old DM adage that "one's players never do what is expected." When I originally wrote the Baphtemet and Ral adventures, I had planned on the party first getting the jeweled box. The plan was that they would know the history, by that time, of Ral's and Baphy's hatred of one another (stemming back to the accidental death of the Elfqueen Elendra). I expected the party to then carry the box to Borbidan's Crypt, loose Ral, watch the two demons fight it out, then wade in to slaughter the victor.

Readers of the story hour know this was not the case, of course. The party, despite Poridel's veiled recommendations, opted to first kill Baphtemet. The battle nearly resulted in a TPK.

I think of these adventures - the slaying of Ippi, Baph, and Ral - as the first portion of the campaign. By the time the party finished those quests, they were about 4th - 5th level. As I write this, that's where they stand in the story hour as well.

We'll now embark on the "second" portion of the campaign, but I won't say much about save to say that the stakes are significantly raised, and the threats correspondingly increased. Our fearless Brothers of Olgotha will directly and irrevocably feel the pain of loss.

Anyway, again, a rambling answer!

I'll say it again - three times, actually - thank you, thank you, and thank you for reading. I would post a simple thanks each day if it didn't look like such a blatant attempt to "bump" my own story hour. I haven't done so on the SH thread in a while, come to think of it, so I think I'll head over there and do it now.

Have a great weekend, everyone.

D

Last edited:

Karrisbane

First Post
Amelyssan

Here's Amelyssan as he was just prior to the party's encounter with the waiting Cyrics outside the Barrow Mound. The only notable magical item he possesses is one of the Rings of Life Transference. This is a 3E Amelyssan. We've since switched to 3.5E.

AMELYSSAN
Elven Male Wizard (Necromancer) 4
HIT DICE: 4d4+12 (25hp) + 1d10+4 temp (4hrs) for False Life (when prepared)
INITIATIVE: +7 (Dex, Improved Init)
SPEED: 30'
ARMOR CLASS: 17 (Extended Mage Armor +4 (8hrs), +3 Dex)
BASE ATTACK/GRAPPLE: +2/+1
MELEE ATTACK: +1 (Longsword, d8-1 damage)
SPACE/REACH: 5'/5'
SPECIAL ATTACKS: none
RACIAL QUALITIES: Elven traits (Ex)
SAVES: FOR +4 REF +4 WIL +4
ABILITIES: STR 8 DEX 16 CON 16 INT 17 WIS 10 CHA 8
SKILLS: Alchemy +10, Concentration +10, Knowledge Arcana +10, Spellcraft +10, Tumble +6.5
FEATS: Combat Casting, Improved Init*, Scribe Scroll (B), Extend Spell

Amelyssan Speaks: Common, Elven, Gnome, Draconic, Goblin

Spellbook: All cantrips, Cause Fear, Identify, Mage Armor, Magic Missile, Ray of Enfeeblement, Shield, Sleep, True Strike, False Life, Flaming Sphere, Glitterdust, Rope Trick, Scare, Web.

Typical spell prep: Detect Magic, Daze, Ray of Frost, Light, Disrupt Undead (s), Magic Missile (X2), Sleep, Shield, Cause Fear (s), Extended Mage Armor, False Life, Glitterdust, Scare (s). Save DC 13+spell level.

Amelyssan has a toad familiar to grant +2 CON. Illusion is Amelyssan's prohibited school.

*Bonus feat. Destan lets us take an extra feat at 1st level.

Last edited:

Son_of_Thunder

Explorer
Question for you Destan (or anyone else)

Destan, (Or anyone else who has seen it mentioned)

Do you use the Book of Vile Darkness?

Thanks,

Son of Thunder

frostrune

First Post
Do you use the Book of Vile Darkness?

Yep.

Don't know how much he uses it but he definitely has it. Actually I know he has used one of the spells in gameplay but I can't reveal more than that as it is WAAAYYYY down the road.

Truth is he's plenty creative on his own, he doesn't need encouragement :D

frostrune (AKA Baden)

Destan

Citizen of Val Hor
frostrune said:
Actually I know he has used one of the spells in gameplay...

It was Wither Limb and it did a number on one of our heroes. But, as frostrune mentioned, that doesn't occur for quite some time. BoVD wasn't out yet when we played the sessions now being recounted in this story hour, so I had to rely on good old-fashioned DM death tricks to weed out some of the characters.

And those tricks, unlike the BoVD spells, will be shown soon. Very soon, actually.

<insert evil DM cackle>

D

Karrisbane

First Post
Destan said:
It was Wither Limb and it did a number on one of our heroes.

DM can't even remember his own screw-job. :D It was Grim Revenge. And it's about 7-8 PC levels away from where the SH currently stands.

Amelyssan

Talix

Explorer
It's great to read both about more background story, and behind the screen stuff with the whys and hows.

Thanks for putting this together! And I agree, the child souls were pretty cool, although I would never do it myself for fear of adding tons of new NPCs that I'd have to run. :rolleyes: :p

frostrune

First Post
Talix said:
And I agree, the child souls were pretty cool, although I would never do it myself for fear of adding tons of new NPCs that I'd have to run. :rolleyes: :p

Actually Destan is doing a great job with them in the story hour. In game play they were little more than a 'magic item'. They grant some limited powers without taking up a magic item slot. Clever reward really.

In play I used Ilvar to mostly impress elves by speaking fluent elven and to detect if demons were about.

I am immensly enjoying Destan's interpretation.

Baden Dost

Destan

Citizen of Val Hor
A request:

If any of you cats who wander over to this thread happen to have pre-built NPC's (CR8 - CR15), especially spellcasters, or even custom built monsters within that CR range, I'd love to see 'em. I could post them here or collect them all and post them elsewhere, if you'd like. I'd rather you emailed them to me, since I don't want my party to see them until it's too late. Muwahahaha!

I have a marathon weekend of gaming in a couple weeks, and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

D

Destan I'll mail you some homebrewed creatures from myself. I'd also like to let you know I submitted your Ippizicus Childeater in a thread on the Midnight forums which is meant for the "Unique demons" of Aryth.

I thought Ippizicus was MADE for that setting so I took the liberty of submitting him. If you have a problem with that I'll quickly delete that post.

Remove ads