Six From Gate Pass - Chapter 3: Shelter From The Storm

Bannock

First Post
Bannock lets out a cry of anguish when he realizes that their Dwarven companion is now their late Dwarven companion. He punches the surface of the water as hard as he can, having descended the stairs to join the others.

"Aaaaagggggh! No! I wish that bastard Sidoneth was still alive so I could kill him again slower!"

He helps Kirio move the remains out of the water, and speaks to the dead Dwarf.

"Don't worry mate, there will be a vengeance for this."

After getting the body to dry land (up the stairs if that's the only option), he turns to the survivors.

"We can't take 'im back and we can't leave 'im like this. We hafta bury him or something. In Gate Pass, there's not much room to put the dead in the ground, so we give sky burials, although some prefer burning. Maybe we could make a pyre."

fromage67

First Post
After diving deep below the waves and waiting there for a few minutes, Lars starts to head back to join his friends.

As he wearily fights the currents and waves, he slowly realizes what Kirio and Bannock are doing. "Oh. Hrimr." Lars wordlessly helps the others at the grim task.

Once it is done, he allows himself to sink to the ground, his back to the parapet. A deep fatigue grips him. "What now? Back to Seaquen, I guess. What's left of it anyways."

Gregor

First Post
Torrent lays her hand on Hrimr's forehead, her eyes misty from the emotional toil of the events of the day. "He was a worshipper of the earth," she says through words that choke in her throat, "we should bury him in the ground so that he can find his way to his God in the afterlife."

funkmamagoat

First Post
Kirio picks up Hrimr's hammer, if they can not make us of it they can at least get some coin for it. He also goes through his things to see if there is anything else they can salvage. He pauses a moment and inspects the Bracers he recovered from lee
OOC: Cast detect magic, spellcraft check to identify properties

we should bury him in the ground so that he can find his way to his God in the afterlife

"Alright, well, let's get this over with, then back to seaquen, see if there is anything left of it..." Kirio tries to locate a place where they can dig a bit, then begins gathering large stones to make a small burial cairn for the dwarf "He liked stones..."

Gregor

First Post
Kirio, the bracers are Bracers of Armor +2.

Torrent assists with the digging of the grave, using the edge of her shield to haul dirt and stones. She notices Kirio holding Hrimr's weapon. "Look Kirio, I know how much you value making gold, but I really think we should try to re-bond it to another of us. The spirit and life of an entire forest is tied to that weapon and to the wielder. We can't just toss an item of that significance onto some merchant's table." She wipes dirt from her brow. "Bannock is probably the best candidate. He has a brave and good heart ... he's probably the purest of all of us. Plus, we've all seen Hrimr change the shape of the weapon. It could be a stout pole arm for him."

funkmamagoat

First Post
Kirio hands the bracers of armor to Arnir "You are likely the best candidate for these as you do not wear armor..."

Look Kirio, I know how much you value making gold, but I really think we should try to re-bond it to another of us...

Kirio holds up a hand and places another on his chest "You wound me Torrent..." He smirks "By all means, if Bannock can bond to it he should, and I agree, he is the most deserving of us. I simply agree with you that it is a item of wonder and did not want to leave it to the waves..."

Once they have finished pilling dirt and stone on Hrimr's Shallow grave, Kirio stands nods his head towards their friend's grave "Rest well Hrimr, you were a stout companion and will be missed. I will write of your end and sing of it, that you be not forgotten... So long as I live you will also through my music. With that Kirio turns his back and begins the walk back to Seaquen, hopping there is at least one inn left standing...

Gregor

First Post
The Heroes of Seaquen Return

The long walk back to Seaquen is less dramatic than the journey to the coast to battle Lee. However, the going is tough as the heavy rains have made the trail thick with mud and deep pools of dirty water. Here and there lay the markings of the devastation wrought by the hurricane: uprooted and tossed century-old trees, scattered boulders, farm houses and barns smashed to pieces, the odd small boat or mast and sail flung inland from the harbour. However, the moon and stars are out over head and the night is clean and cool.

When you arrive in Seaquen, you can see that much of the city has been damaged during the storm. Roofs of buildings have been torn off, windows smashed in, people lay dead in the streets amongst smashed wagons and barrels. Here and there a ship has been thrown against a building, smashing both in the process and in the distance you can make out the chaos of a refugee camp in dissarray: torn tents everywhere, bodies on the ground, torn up earth and new lakes of filthy water made from the endless rain. The harbour is mostly in ruins with the docks lilting, fishing boats capsized or shattered upon the rocks and huge chunks of masonry and the roofs of buildings cluttering up the shallows. The Wayfarer's Galleon tilts slightly to one side in the water but it looks serviceable. On the horizon you can see the remains of the Elven fleet, perhaps only half of the ships that once appeared there. The others are sunken, capsized or slowly sinking into the water.

Even the Lyceum has not been spared. Though relatively intact, a small section of the stone exterior on the main tower has been torn away as if it was smashed by a catapult's stone. Loose papers tumble in the wind outside the gap and the bodies of a few robed students clutter the grounds.

People peer at you through smashed windows, or from underneath upturned carts, their heads still in their hands. They look terrified but relief slowly floods in when they recognize you as the agents of the Lyceum. With the storm over, the citizens and refugees begin to file out into the sodden streets to examine what is left of their lives and to celebrate their survival. Upturned hands face you in greeting, along with tear streaked faces and forced grins. The people, it seems, are no strangers to the major deed you have accomplished this night.

Back at the Lyceum you are greeted by a limping Simeon who is supported by Kiernan, the dwarven Abjurer. A grinning and sultry Katrina stands by their side and you're amazed that she looks as good as she does considering the events of the night. You are greeted as heroes of the city and the resistance and ushered in to the tower for a meal, wine and some hot baths and warm beds.

However, it is not all good news and slaps on backs. Nathan Lowduke, your friend of only a few days, perished in the storm. He was assisting some students in one of the chambers when the storm suddenly intensified within a matter of seconds. An errant boulder was thrown against the tower, tearing open a section, causing him and a number of students to be sucked out into the storm.

Simeon and Kiernan ask you as many questions as they can: What happened to Lee? How did you stop the storm? Did he have allies? You tell them all you wish to share: how Lee was assisting Ragesians hidden in the ancient Fire Tomb; the strange monolith they were using to trap anyone teleporting in and out of the city; the bizarre orb of storms and its control wand; and, Lee's cry to a strange 'master of winds.' The two mages allow you to rest, asking only to analyze the shattered remains of the orb and its control wand.

You spend the remainder of the evening drinking in a large chamber with a blazing hearth. Your wet clothes steam as they hang on hooks on the wall and you try to enjoy a meal and a copious amount of wine and ale. Words are few and the mood is bittersweet: you are heroes and yet a friend has fallen. The alcohol numbs the pain and Kirio's somber lament is the final farewell to Hrimr.

A victory has been won, for now. The city is devastated, but not irreparably so and the Elven fleet has been taken down a notch. However, it is clear that Ragesia is a threat and will stop at nothing to eliminate its enemies. Yet, was Lee their ally or the puppet of yet another unknown player in this war? These questions fill your mind and you know that the next few days and weeks will largely be dominated by the rebuilding effort. But what do the leaders of the resistance have in mind for its new heroes?

The adventure continues in Chapter 4.

Last edited:

Remove ads