• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Skill Based System for Fantasy

KenSeg

First Post
Our DM is looking to utilize or at least base our game on a skill based system for our weekly AD&D type game (mediveal fantasy, etc.).

Could I get some suggestions on systems suitable?

Aus_Snow

First Post
Well, several [thousand] people have done up their own d20 variants that are, to a lesser or greater extent - though rarely entirely - skill-based. Some of these variants are commercial products, too.

Otherwise, there are a couple of good suggestions already. Plus, there is always Rolemaster (new version recently. . .?) or HARP. They use a fair number of skills, IIRC.

Theron

Explorer
I'd go for either Savage Worlds, Fantasy Hero, or Unisystem, using the Dungeons & Zombies supplement for All Flesh Must Be Eaten.

DungeonMaester

First Post
TGryph said:
Seconded. Switched over to Gurps from 3.5 a couple of years ago and never looked back!

TGryph

Gurps is the way to go.

Keep a eye out for a GURPS supplement I will be putting out in the near future. It simplifies the Skills bloat, so character creation doesn't come to a screeching halt when you get that far.

I will throw a link up for it's development when it comes.

---Rusty

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
GURPS
JAGS
Runequest

All of those work well for me, though for JAGS you'll need to download the free genre netbooks for fantasy.

00Machado

First Post
For fast paced, action movie or comic book style pacing and tone, go with Savage Worlds or D6 Fantasy

For more granular character and NPC mechanics (which also play out slower at the table), go with GURPS or Fantasy Hero. GURPS if you want to play more 'realistic; historical fantasy. Fantasy HERO if you still want a bit more of the action movie feel, or if you want the system to lean toward recurring characters for long term play (lower character mortality rate than GURPS), combined with really crunchy (and flexible) character mechanics.

Mutants and Masterminds is a nice choice for middle of the road between the former and latter type of systems, leaning toward cinematic over 'realistic'

Remove ads