• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Skill Bonus for Favored Classes

Aus_Snow

First Post
The most obvious reply, to me anyway, is "+1 skill point per level, regardless of class". Especially seeing as it's only *1* skill point per level. Not exactly 'game-breaking'. That would be my interpretation, given that house rule as a base to work from.

I use this rule and have races with "favored class: any" treat the class they took their first level in as their favored class for this purpose. A half-elf who begins as a ranger gets the extra skill point whenever he advances as a ranger.

Li Shenron

Legend
I used that HR in one 3.5 campaign.

Because by the PHB, "Favored Class: Any" always means "highest-level class", we ruled that you got the bonus skill points whenever you raised your currently highest level class. If you're single class, that's +1 every level.

Cabral

First Post
I'm thinking about making it +1 bonus skill point per level that can only be put into skills that would be class skills for your favored class. (This restricts an elf more than a gnome, and restricts a human not at all so I don't know if I will)

Nyaricus

First Post
Cabral said:
I'm thinking about making it +1 bonus skill point per level that can only be put into skills that would be class skills for your favored class. (This restricts an elf more than a gnome, and restricts a human not at all so I don't know if I will)
that makes complete sense, IMO. besides, if you don't do that, PrC's which have high, non-favoured class skill ranks to be met will be more easy to get into - which although not game breaking, does allow a flaw from you bonus skill points to slip through.

So, go with "+1 skill point for advancing your favoured class (in the case of favoured class: any, this is with the increase of your highlest level class, in the case of a tie, the class which you took your first level in). This must be chosen from your favoured classes' skill list."

sound alright?

Cabral

First Post
Nyaricus said:
that makes complete sense, IMO. besides, if you don't do that, PrC's which have high, non-favoured class skill ranks to be met will be more easy to get into - which although not game breaking, does allow a flaw from you bonus skill points to slip through.

So, go with "+1 skill point for advancing your favoured class (in the case of favoured class: any, this is with the increase of your highlest level class, in the case of a tie, the class which you took your first level in). This must be chosen from your favoured classes' skill list."

sound alright?

Enh, the bonus skill points can't increase your skill level cap so it shouldn't allow you get a skill level sooner. (btw, remember that taking even one level in a class with a class skill permanently raises that skill's cap to character level + 3.)

I may actually change it to either +2 skills per level (x4 at fourth) that can only be used in class skills for your favored class* or choose one class skill from your favored class* that skill is always considered a class skill, in addition you gain +1 skill point per level (x4) that can only be spent on class skills for your favored class.

A third option is that someone made up 0th levels for each of the classes. You could always tack on a 0th level of your favored class* as bonus. But the 0th levels should be constructed to give your character some of the flavor of the class, but not too strong of a bonus from it. (ie, maybe 2 daily cantrips for a favored class wizard/sorcerer or a bonus fighter feat for a fighter, etc.)

*for classes that have a choice of favored classes, choose one at level 1. This replaces the favored class entry for your character.

Last edited:

Remove ads