• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Skill feats, anyone?

Have you played characters who've taken. . .

• A feat to give +2 to two skills?

Votes: 30 10.5%
  • Skill Focus [ _____ ]?

Votes: 29 10.1%
  • Both?

Votes: 145 50.7%
  • Neither?

Votes: 82 28.7%

Player's in my campaign take the +2 feats fairly frequently, but rarely take Skill Focus since it's a Dedicated Talent. Of course our current campaign is d20 Modern which is more skill oriented (IMO) than D&D. In our last D&D campaign the skill boosting feats saw limited use. The PC's usually picked them when they wanted to really good a skill they considered fundamental to thier character concept or was useful in combat (damnable tumbling rogues and monks!)

Masquerade

First Post
I took Persuasive in a d20 Modern campaign and Stealthy in a D&D one-shot, but can't recall ever taking Skill Focus.

However, if the character concept called for it, I would certainly take SF, especially if I had a feat-every-level DM, like my players have.

Goblyn

Explorer
Psychic Warrior said:
What book did Luck of Heroes appear in, btw? I remember it from the Neverwinter Nights CRPG but don't recall seeing it in any WotC book.

Luck of Heroes appears as a Midlander background feat in the Wheel of Time d20. I don't know where else, if anywhere, though.

WillieW

First Post
xmas-smiley-019.gif

*Sings*
"Yes, your feats too big
Don't want ya, cause ya feats too big
Can't use ya, cause ya feats too big
I really hate ya, cause ya feats too big"

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
(chuckles ruefully)

Here I am wondering if I finally understand the basics of grappling, and I know little of skills ... and you'all can create characters with Skill Rankings of 35 (or 50) at 3rd level.
And I thought a 3rd level character would be doing really good to have a 13 in a Skill at 3rd level, through hook or crook (18 stat + Skill Focus feat + 6 ranks.) I was wrong. LOL. :)

But you wait. When I have the books, and have this figured out, I'll figure out how to double your 35 score! You wait and see ... (friendly grin)

Siegfried Niemand

First Post
I'd say almost all of my characters have taken at least one "skill" feat, and that over half of them have had both a +2/+2 feat and Skill Focus (something).

I've even had an epic character with some 10 feats devoted solely to his Bluff skill. Convincing a charging warrior to give you his sword in mid-combat is a beautiful thing.

Wormwood

Adventurer
I am currently playing a wizard/bard (Dr. Ephraim Zemo, Professor Emeritus of Metephysical Engineering, Morgraive University)

I took the following feats: Education, Skill Focus (Arcana) and Skill Focus (the Planes). No worries.

Remove ads