• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Skill Powers clarification

Dr_Sage

First Post
Good afternoon fellows.

I have heard about skill powers, but I dont have material about it yet (only Cha Builder), so please allow me a couple of noobish questions.

As far as I got it, you have to have some skill as prerequesite, but thats it? Lovely concept as far as I can tell.

Are they well balanced? Are they ok with existing material?

Specific question: I have an eye on Invigorating Presence (makes my second wind inspire my buddies and gives them temp HP), would add a lot of favor to my Dwarf Fighter, but usually Second Wind is a minor action for him. Would the use of this power still be standard action in his case?

Thanks in advance. :cool:

Flipguarder

First Post
They are well perfectly balanced, extremley wonderful and are the 4th sign of the second coming of our lord and savior Jesus Christ.

FurryFighter

First Post
because that answers his question ..

if it takes a power or skill to use, and using a second wind is as a consequence of using that power, then you use that power as whatever it is stated, such as standard, and you use your second wind at the same time.

Klaus

First Post
Good afternoon fellows.

I have heard about skill powers, but I dont have material about it yet (only Cha Builder), so please allow me a couple of noobish questions.

As far as I got it, you have to have some skill as prerequesite, but thats it? Lovely concept as far as I can tell.

Are they well balanced? Are they ok with existing material?

Specific question: I have an eye on Invigorating Presence (makes my second wind inspire my buddies and gives them temp HP), would add a lot of favor to my Dwarf Fighter, but usually Second Wind is a minor action for him. Would the use of this power still be standard action in his case?

Thanks in advance. :cool:
Let's see:

0 - They are available in the Character Builder since early this month.

1 - Yes, if you are trained in a certain skill, any skill powers related to that skill are open to you.

2 - Yes, they are balanced. For instance, the Athletics utility 2 Mighty Leap is exactly like the Barbarian utility 2 Tiger's Leap. They just offer different angles that don't have to worry about fitting a certain role.

3 - It's a standard action. You're not using your second wind, you're using the Invigorating Presence power, which also happens to trigger your second wind.

Destil

Explorer
2 - Yes, they are balanced. For instance, the Athletics utility 2 Mighty Leap is exactly like the Barbarian utility 2 Tiger's Leap. They just offer different angles that don't have to worry about fitting a certain role.
The real strength of skill powers is class power lists for classes with athletics no longer need to include a half a dozen redundant jump powers. They can actually stick to what's unique to the class.

Regicide

Banned
Banned
http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/264546-ph3-preview-skill-powers.html

They're pretty bad. Reading the designer comments shows you yet again that these guys shouldn't be making rules and should stick to fluffy stuff.

The majority of them are very situational and shouldn't be taken by anybody. Fine if they cost nothing, but they in fact cost powers so weaken the character. Nice job putting pitfalls in the character creation guys. *golf clap*

Secondly, most of them are out-of-combat uses but take a power to buy which typically means you're paying combat effectiveness for out-of-combat effectiveness. Exactly the wrong way to do it and against their own design philosophy. *golf clap*

Third, there are a couple outliers in there which are either way too good, or give people abilities that are out of character. Yuck.

Really, they should have taken two minutes and looked at DnD Online and seen how they converted skills to have in-combat uses. There are some very good ideas for skill powers sitting right there. *facepalm*

Klaus

First Post
What are you talking about?

They are all Utility powers, which by definition tend to have out-of-combat uses.

After the release of the Skill Powers, I find it hard to take class-specific utility powers.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads