• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Skill Utilities and Their Impact on Play

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Level 12 is pretty badassed I think I figured that was around a decent level to make Gandalf the White.... and probably something along this lines might be a bare minimum for the lady Morrigu.

Cool Analysis

Level 12 is pretty badassed I think I figured that was around a decent level to make Gandalf the White.... and probably something along this lines might be a bare minimum for the lady Morrigu.

Cool Analysis

Thanks!

Side note; Amusingly, YOU SHALL NOT PASS is the 11th level Encounter Power for a PP that I can't recall off the top of my head!

Crucial Advice was an early favorite in the first 4e campaign I was in...

Ditto. The Ranger in my first game featured it.

I'll do that one next!

darkbard

Legend
Amusingly, YOU SHALL NOT PASS is the 11th level Encounter Power for a PP that I can't recall off the top of my head!

Gatekeeper, a pretty interesting PP, overall. Couple YSNP with Stay Back! (Dungeoneering Skill Power), and you've got something pretty thematic going for "Gandalf."

It seems a direct ummm "invocation" of the isolating Avenger fighting style. ;) I built him as a hybrid.

Gatekeeper, a pretty interesting PP, overall. Couple YSNP with Stay Back! (Dungeoneering Skill Power), and you've got something pretty thematic going for "Gandalf."

I still think Gandalf aught to be something like 26th level though. He CERTAINLY has a 'stand up again after you die' feature! lol. ;)

I think if I was going with Gandalf as a 4e Paragon build, I'd probably go something like:

1) Lore-based, mystic, or fortune theme/background.
2) Invoker/Lazylord hybrid with force and radiant powers (and a summoning that would be redlined).
3) Arcana, Diplomacy, Dungeoneering, History, Insight, Religion
3) Divination/Lore (skills and ally reroll enablement).
4) Wizard multiclass and Spiral Tower PP (sword as implement).
5) Dual Implement feat.

I think if I was going with Gandalf as a 4e Paragon build, I'd probably go something like:

1) Lore-based, mystic, or fortune theme/background.
2) Invoker/Lazylord hybrid with force and radiant powers (and a summoning that would be redlined).
3) Arcana, Diplomacy, Dungeoneering, History, Insight, Religion
3) Divination/Lore (skills and ally reroll enablement).
4) Wizard multiclass and Spiral Tower PP (sword as implement).
5) Dual Implement feat.

I think you don't need the MC/PP anymore to get sword. Just MC into a class that uses one as an implement, or pick up the feat that gives implement proficiency. As of RC there's no more rule about only casting spells of class X with an implement from that class. If you have proficiency with an implement, you can use it with any power with the implement keyword (admittedly there's a lot of older feats and whatnot around that have language that contradicts this, but IMHO because they are pre-RC material they are all subsumed into the new rule, which was presumably intended to end all the insanity of fishing for different implements and MC/Hybrid PCs needing 3 different ones so they could do their stuff).

Anyway, it doesn't seem like a bad Gandalf. I think its safe to say he became Epic when he was sent back to Middle Earth though. ;)

I think you don't need the MC/PP anymore to get sword. Just MC into a class that uses one as an implement, or pick up the feat that gives implement proficiency. As of RC there's no more rule about only casting spells of class X with an implement from that class. If you have proficiency with an implement, you can use it with any power with the implement keyword (admittedly there's a lot of older feats and whatnot around that have language that contradicts this, but IMHO because they are pre-RC material they are all subsumed into the new rule, which was presumably intended to end all the insanity of fishing for different implements and MC/Hybrid PCs needing 3 different ones so they could do their stuff).

Anyway, it doesn't seem like a bad Gandalf. I think its safe to say he became Epic when he was sent back to Middle Earth though. ;)

Avenger is an interesting pick for hybrid. I can see how you would have gone there.

Personally, I like Warlord for several LotR characters. Gandalf as Invoker/Lazylord, Aragorn as Ranger/Warlord (Paladin Multiclass), Frodo as Princess Warlord.

Alright, how about this for an Epic (level 26) tier go at Gandalf.

level 26
Race: Human
Background: Prophecy Sage (+2 to Arcana)
Theme: Scholar
Class: Invoker/Warlord (Multiclass Wizard * 3 including Augury)
Paragon Path: Speaker of the Word
Epic Destiny: Avatar of Hope

ABILITY SCORES
STR 13, CON 14, DEX 12, INT 20, WIS 27, CHA 18

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana, Diplomacy, Dungeoneering, History, Insight, Nature, Religion

POWERS
Warlord Attack 1: Direct the Strike
Invoker Attack 1: Astral Wind (YOU SHALL NOT PASS)
Warlord Utility 2: Encouraging Boost
Arcana Utility 2: Arcane Mutterings
Dungeoneering Utility 6: Dungeoneer's Guidance
Invoker Utility 10: Angelic Messenger (REFLUFFED AS GIANT EAGLE)
Speaker of the Word Attack 11: Syllable of Light
Speaker of the Word Utility 12: Guiding Syllable
Warlord Utility 16: Encouraging Remark
Speaker of the Word Attack 20: The Word Spoken
Warlord Utility 22: Heroic Surge
Avatar of Hope Utility 26: Elevate the Spirit

For the rest of it:

1) Fill out with relevant feats (12 left).
2) Fill out Attack Powers with Radiant/Force stuff/Angel companions refluffed as eagles and Lazylord stuff.
3) Divination Rituals to go with Augury.
3) Magic items for sword/staff and Divinations.

That should do it. Tons of inspiring buffs for allies, lore stuff, tons of knowledge and the ability to help allies because of it, divinations/prophecy, bring allies back from the brink/plot device stuff, giant eagles. All of the "Angel-themed" stuff in 4e comes with flight so you'd either have to (a) stay away from it (which I did) or (b) refluff it (wings are eagles or some kind of trick).

Beyond that, I'm out of town for a few days so I won't be updating this thread with a Crucial Advice until probably Sunday.

Remove ads