D&D 3E/3.5 Skills you can take 10 with (3.5 edition)

Vykarius

First Post
Looking for a consolidated list of skills you can and can't take 10 with in 3.5 edition D&D. Trying to decide which skills to select with rogue ability of skill mastery. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Dandu

First Post
The Rogue's master ability applies to pretty much everything iirc. Might not work with UMD/UPD, though, depending on how you interpret it.

Nebten

First Post
With Skill Mastery, you can take 10 on all of them. There are just a select few that require they be trained to get certian effects.

Vykarius

First Post
I was wondering which skills (a list) that usually can not take 10 on so I can maximize the skill mastery by taking skills that usurp the standard rule. Anyone know which skills can not normally take 10 on? Thanks for the replies btw.

irdeggman

First Post
With Skill Mastery, you can take 10 on all of them. There are just a select few that require they be trained to get certian effects.

Except for UMD.

That skill has a special note that states you can't take 10.

Skill Mastery allows you to take 10 "even if stress and distractions would normally prevent her from doing so"

It does not state that you can bypass a restriciton in the skill itself, only the conditional restriction.

Certain class abilities allow you to take 10 on UMD, the warlock and artificer get them.

I believe UMD is the only skill that specifically disallows taking 10, regardless of the conditions.

Vykarius

First Post
Except for UMD.

That skill has a special note that states you can't take 10.

Skill Mastery allows you to take 10 "even if stress and distractions would normally prevent her from doing so"

It does not state that you can bypass a restriciton in the skill itself, only the conditional restriction.

Certain class abilities allow you to take 10 on UMD, the warlock and artificer get them.

I believe UMD is the only skill that specifically disallows taking 10, regardless of the conditions.

It disallows taking 10 with UMD due to risk of hazzardous outcome right? It not allowing taking 10 shouldnt preclude it from the skill mastery ability which allows usurping of take 10 rules right?

aboyd

Explorer
Skill Mastery says you can take 10 when it would normally be prohibited due to stress. UMD isn't prohibited due to stress. It's prohibited period, as a general rule, regardless of stress. So Skill Mastery wouldn't help with that.

Or, as another person wrote on Giant's forums, "The bard's jack-of-all-trades specifically says it's allowed to work even with skills where taking 10 isn't allowed. The rogue's skill mastery has no such provision." Thus, no taking 10 on UMD via Skill Mastery.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
You're referencing PF bard rules, though. And besides, that's complete bs that a bard can take 10 with ALL skills in PF, but a Rogue still can't with Skill Mastery even if he picks it as one of his 3+int mod... but that's a Pathfinder mistake.

As regards 3E, yeah, by RAW you can't take UMD with Skill Mastery. That said, I have no problem allowing it for rolls where 1 would not be a failure. UMD is the only skill where rolling a 1 is special. And even so, it's only the case if you ALSO fail the check. Sure, failing by 5 or more can be bad. You could say the same thing of Climb, though. Since IMO the only reason UMD is excluded is due to that fail and roll a 1 rule, I think it's fair to let a Rogue get UMD with Skill Mastery, but only be allowed to use it if he would not fail on a 1.

Vykarius

First Post
Just downloaded the 3.5 edition FAQ & Errata from Wizards Official site, and it clearly states you can not include UMD with skills selected to have skill mastery with. Sorry to have belabored the point and wasted anyone's time. I am still open 2 suggestions for the skills I should take with skill mastery. I will have 5 to choose from. I am currently a Hexblade 3rd level/Rogue 2nd level. I will take 1 more Rogue level and either 1 Hexblade or a 2nd of Rogue. Once I am 7th level, I will enter Dungeon Delver prestige Class and will have skill mastery soon after. So far leaning towards Disable Device, search, open locks, hide and move silent. Thoughts? Thanks.

irdeggman

First Post
It disallows taking 10 with UMD due to risk of hazzardous outcome right? It not allowing taking 10 shouldnt preclude it from the skill mastery ability which allows usurping of take 10 rules right?

Just to make sure you haven't fallen into the same trap that a lot of people do.

Taking 10 doesn't have the "risk of hazardous outcome" restriction, taking 20 does.

Also taking 10 does not mean it takes 10 times as long, while taking 20 does.

Taking 10: When your character is not being threatened or distracted, you may choose to take 10. Instead of rolling 1d20 for the skill check, calculate your result as if you had rolled a 10. For many routine tasks, taking 10 makes them automatically successful. Distractions or threats (such as combat) make it impossible for a character to take 10. In most cases, taking 10 is purely a safety measure —you know (or expect) that an average roll will succeed but fear that a poor roll might fail, so you elect to settle for the average roll (a 10). Taking 10 is especially useful in situations where a particularly high roll wouldn’t help.

Taking 20:When you have plenty of time (generally 2 minutes for a skill that can normally be checked in 1 round, one full-round action, or one standard action), you are faced with no threats or distractions, and the skill being attempted carries no penalties for failure, you can take 20. In other words, eventually you will get a 20 on 1d20 if you roll enough times. Instead of rolling 1d20 for the skill check, just calculate your result as if you had rolled a 20.

Taking 20 means you are trying until you get it right, and it assumes that you fail many times before succeeding. Taking 20 takes twenty times as long as making a single check would take.

Since taking 20 assumes that the character will fail many times before succeeding, if you did attempt to take 20 on a skill that carries penalties for failure, your character would automatically incur those penalties before he or she could complete the task. Common “take 20” skills include Escape Artist, Open Lock, and Search.

Ability Checks and Caster Level Checks: The normal take 10 and take 20 rules apply for ability checks. Neither rule applies to caster level checks.

Remove ads