D&D 3E/3.5 Skills you can take 10 with (3.5 edition)

Found that term, take 10 (right) and didn't know what it meant. Now, I have a clue, thanks...
ApplicationFrameHost_2uNNhmLMLT.png

Found that term, take 10 (right) and didn't know what it meant. Now, I have a clue, thanks...View attachment 293341
Take 10 means you don’t roll a Skill check, but assume you rolled a 10. Basically, it’s for nondangerous things were you could take your time to do it right.

Take 20 is similar, but takes 20x as long as a regular check. Instead of rolling until you get it, assume you eventually roll a 20.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Except for UMD.

That skill has a special note that states you can't take 10.

Skill Mastery allows you to take 10 "even if stress and distractions would normally prevent her from doing so"

It does not state that you can bypass a restriciton in the skill itself, only the conditional restriction.

Certain class abilities allow you to take 10 on UMD, the warlock and artificer get them.

I believe UMD is the only skill that specifically disallows taking 10, regardless of the conditions.
There are at least 2 exceptions that I know of, both the Warlock and the Artificer have features that allow them to take 10 on UMD checks:

2023-09-21_021645.jpg

Celebrim

Legend
Take 10 means you don’t roll a Skill check, but assume you rolled a 10. Basically, it’s for nondangerous things were you could take your time to do it right.

It can include even dangerous things provided you aren't distracted. For example, you can with Balance take 10 to walk a tightrope over a canyon, even though failure represents a hazard. However, you couldn't take 10 (without skill mastery of some sort) to walk the same tightrope and do anything else at all - engage in combat, perform some other skill such as juggling balls, or deal with the effects of a gusting wind or other hazard.

Remove ads