• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Skills

B.T.

First Post
That would explain it--I expected it to be under Nature. Now, to be fair, those things that you suggested can all fall into the realm of "DCs determined by plot (i.e. the DM)." I don't believe that really excuses their lack of rules, mind you, but if the rules for actual rules are "handwave it," then it's not too hard to guess what the rules for not-rules are.

When we wrote Saga Edition, we had discussions which went round-and-round on which skills to combine and which to keep separate. I think Chris, Rodney and I all had slightly different opinions on what the "right" set for Star Wars was, and the end list isn't exactly what any of us saw the perfect. (I actually consider that a good thing -- we each had good points on why some things should be combined and others not).

I suspect if we were to do it again, we might make Athletics more all-encompassing. In one version of the playtest that's what we did, but we ended uop stepping back from that. I'm not sure if that was the right call, but a number of players seemed to feel it was too much a catch-all, and we were already changing a LOT of the core rules.

We also definitely looked to get the right balance for Star Wars, and any other use of the rules was completely secondary. I myself have used Saga to run 1930s Pulp Heroes (complete with Ace Airman character types), Gamma World, and Road Wars (with intentional nods to Mad Max and Death Race). For each of those I tweaked the skill set slightly, but it was never much work to pull skills from other d20 games, or write up new ones.

The hope was to make skills fast and fun, and character generation and leveling easier. A lot of people get into RPGS through Star Wars first, and we didn't want to complicate that process any more than we had to.

Psion

Adventurer
In another thread--now locked due to flaming--Charwoman Gene made the remark that Saga Edition had "shredded the skills system, just like 4e [sic] and that was a horrible crime against gaming."

What are your personal opinions on the SE skill set? I think that the idea is sound, but I feel that they cut out/merged too many of the skills.

I liked how they used some skills (like initiative), but I do rather dislike the overall rigid skill bonus structure.

Dislike is too mild a word, really.

The hope was to make skills fast and fun, and character generation and leveling easier. A lot of people get into RPGS through Star Wars first, and we didn't want to complicate that process any more than we had to.
And from where I'm sitting, you guys succeeded admirably, and I think I can safely say that d20 Radio's Gamer Nation thanks you for it.

The fact that you got one of my players that was about to give up on Star Wars gaming entirely after "the schizophrenic kludge" (their words) that the prior edition had become to once again fall in love with the game says plenty (she was the one that said "I actually feel like I'm playing a Jedi!" in my prior post in this thread).

MarkB

Legend
The only place the Saga skills system falls down somewhat is where skill checks (mainly Use The Force) are made as attacks versus standard defenses. They're poorly scaled for this task, being too strong at low level and too weak at high level.

If the scaling of the skills had been a little better integrated with the scaling of attacks and defenses, the problem would be resolved.

It's not a major issue, but something to consider if adapting SWSE-style skills to other systems.

The only place the Saga skills system falls down somewhat is where skill checks (mainly Use The Force) are made as attacks versus standard defenses.

I agree that's the weakest part of the system. I haven't had it derail a campaign, but I do see why the numbers for 4e work they way they do.

In retrospect, I think we should have just had a Force Attack value (based on level), and had a UtF check modify your attack by a set amount based on your result, much as the effectiveness of many Force powers vary by your skill check.

I prefer the 4E take on the social skills. I like Bluff, Diplomacy and Intimidate to be distinguished and not just rolled up into one Persuasion skill. I think if you want to support non-combat scenarios, diverse social skills can help that a lot more than having a default skill. All 3 skills are relevant in a social situation, while most scenarios that would require Athletics just need one of either Climb, Jump or Swim and not all three. More importantly, if you need all three you _really_ need all three, as in every character needs it. In a social scenario, you have "good-cop/bad-cop" scenarios where you might need Intimidate and Diplomacy at th same time but by different people.

Regarding Use The Force - I would go a different route. Throw away BAB and instead make attacks act like skills. They already do, in a way, with being not proficient causing a -5 penalty to attacks. The only difference would be that Weapon Focus would now have to give a +3 bonus, but if the skill system is supposed to handle that, why not the combat system? Since you still have a class based system, you can keep enforcing everyone to be trained in some weapon skills.

Of course, I say that now with hindsight of 4E ;)

ValhallaGH

Explorer
I prefer the 4E take on the social skills. I like Bluff, Diplomacy and Intimidate to be distinguished and not just rolled up into one Persuasion skill.
Hey, Saga has a Deception skill. Just because some groups house rule it all into Persuasion doesn't mean that they all do.
More importantly, the two skills of Deception and Persuasion allow you to have wildly different forms of Intimidation covered. One tells an extremely menacing deception. One tells the truth, in an extremely menacing way. Both can contribute a lot to both the characters and the encounter. Sure, the rules only cover the menacing truth but that's easily house ruled.

If I do have a major complaint about Saga, it would have to be the continuation of base attack bonus. BAB is one of the many subtle ways to punish characters for choosing to multi-class. More so, it is a math-based punishment with diminished penalties for careful number manipulation. This seems wildly at odds with the style and tone of star wars (where all-trades characters are fairly common, and everyone seems pretty effective in a fight).

It's awesome. Some details are off, but the heart is in exactly the right place.

The only place the Saga skills system falls down somewhat is where skill checks (mainly Use The Force) are made as attacks versus standard defenses. They're poorly scaled for this task, being too strong at low level and too weak at high level.

If the scaling of the skills had been a little better integrated with the scaling of attacks and defenses, the problem would be resolved.

It's not a major issue, but something to consider if adapting SWSE-style skills to other systems.

Yeah, this is the major issue, and is what people who actually like the system complain about.

Essentially there are three large changes made that people who don't like the system complain about.

1)Merge a bunch of skills. This is a fairly obvious problem with 3.x and many d20 versions involve this fix. Some people argue that 4e took it to far, and I can see their point. I would argue that for 4e climb/swim/jump should just be a single skill, and that mechanics might cover a little too much, otherwise SAGA's really good here.

2)Everyone gets half level to all skills. This one's freakin' awesome and anyone who says otherwise just Doesn't Get It. Having checks in a level based system where one character can't fail and another can't succeed is just a Bad Idea, and in a Star Wars or Fantasy game being poor at something should be a specific choice, not the default. (Seriously, high level Paladins who can kill demons the size of elephants with a rusty spoon but can't climb a tree are completely stupid.)

3)Getting rid of points and making it untrained/trained/focused. Lots of people hate this but I can take or leave it. I find points unnecessary, I think people who want "granularity" have a different idea of what a character sheet means than I do, but I don't think the slight ease of use you get from this system is really enough to care about. I have seen some people vaguely annoyed they don't get to mess around with skill points every level, even if it is just adding +1 to int+2 skills they enjoy the illusion of choice.

As you might expect I get somewhat annoyed by people who don't like (3) and throw out (2) along with it without taking the time think why.

Remove ads