• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sky One to remake Blake's 7

horacethegrey

First Post
WHOA. So the Brits have finally decided to join in on the BSG craze. Not that of course, Blake's 7 is a carbon copy of BSG, as it was one of the originators of dark scifi tv and probably had a heavy influence on the new BSG.

For the record, I've never watched the original Blake's 7 but have occasionally viewed some clips on YouTube.
That said, I look forward to this and hope they come out with a cracking good show.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
The production values of the original ranged from average to terrible (although the set for the Liberator starship was pretty damn cool.) But the stories and characters were top-notch. With a decent budget, hopefully we will see something good.

Zog

First Post
Are they totally mental???

The end of that series carved a deep scar in my teenage psyche when I saw it. How the heck can they 'remake' it? It was an entertaining show, but the reason I remember it, and more than half the impact of the show came from the end.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
Zog said:
Are they totally mental???

The end of that series carved a deep scar in my teenage psyche when I saw it. How the heck can they 'remake' it? It was an entertaining show, but the reason I remember it, and more than half the impact of the show came from the end.
It's OK. The weapons were all set to stun.

;)

Felon

First Post
Oh yes, that final episode. I wound up being late to work because I was riveted to my computer and just couldn't believe what I was seeing. "This is it! It's going to end with a bold new beginning as the family's all back together again!"

Man, that was a slam dunk ending. That look on Avon's face right before the fade...

One of my favorite shows ever. Needless, to say it will either be incredible (q.v. Farscape) and flop, or it will be awful and endure forever (q.v...well, I don't wanna make folks mad today).

Last edited:

Dioltach

Legend
Felon said:
Oh yes, that final episode. I wound up being late to work because I was riveted to my computer and just couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Computer?! I saw it back in the day, on a tiny black and white telly, with lousy reception because we didn't have cable! But I agree it was a bit of a dud.

I think that the new BSG is very similar in terms of atmosphere, and could very well serve as an example of how it could be done. And of how characters in television series shouldn't be as flat nowadays as they were back in the day. In the original series, each character had a particular shtick, like the Spice Girls. There was Idealistic Spice, Cynical Spice, Cowardly Spice, Pilot Spice, Telepathic Spice, Strong Spice and Super-Computer Spice. Blake could stand to lose some of his idealism over the course of the series, and Avon and Vila in particular get a bit more of it.

This is a series I'd definitely like to see remade, because I think it could add a lot to the original.

horacethegrey

First Post
Dioltach said:
Computer?! I saw it back in the day, on a tiny black and white telly, with lousy reception because we didn't have cable! But I agree it was a bit of a dud.
I think what Felon means is that he probably watched it on video, years after the show was canceled. Sorry, just offering my two cents. :)

Diotach said:
I think that the new BSG is very similar in terms of atmosphere, and could very well serve as an example of how it could be done. And of how characters in television series shouldn't be as flat nowadays as they were back in the day. In the original series, each character had a particular shtick, like the Spice Girls. There was Idealistic Spice, Cynical Spice, Cowardly Spice, Pilot Spice, Telepathic Spice, Strong Spice and Super-Computer Spice. Blake could stand to lose some of his idealism over the course of the series, and Avon and Vila in particular get a bit more of it.
Question, were the characters really that two dimensional? As I said, I've never watched the series, so I can't really judge.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Ick. The worst thing they could do is turn it into a nihilistic soap opera like the new BSG.

They should really continue where the finale left off. It was left vague like that, so they could someday continue it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads