D&D 5E Skyrim supplement for D&D 5e

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Bethesda has a rather odd relationship with their fanbase, where they actively steal ideas (sometimes copyrighted ideas) from their fans and ignore the little copyright infringements they suffer in return. This goes as far as letting a fan recreate Oblivion as a Skyrim mod. They reacted the same way to recreating the game Morrowind as a Skyrim mod.

For the most part, I think Bethesda would just write this infringement off as the cost of their business model. If they do decide to do anything about it, my money would be on them contracting to have an official product made that is much higher quality.

Would their relationship with their fanbase change the way copyright infringement applies?
Nope. Copyright does not require you to defend it. 1000 people can infringe and the can still pick you for the same thing and have the full curve of law begins them.

People confuse copyright with trademark, which does have to be vigorously defended. Copyright just is, and doesn't depend on past enforcement decisions by ther rights holder.

Bethesda's allowance ou'd mods for their ganes is actually somewhat coveted by their release of the design kits. Try making a nod for a different game that recreates a Bethesda one and see how far you get.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Bethesda has a rather odd relationship with their fanbase, where they actively steal ideas (sometimes copyrighted ideas) from their fans and ignore the little copyright infringements they suffer in return. This goes as far as letting a fan recreate Oblivion as a Skyrim mod. They reacted the same way to recreating the game Morrowind as a Skyrim mod.

For the most part, I think Bethesda would just write this infringement off as the cost of their business model. If they do decide to do anything about it, my money would be on them contracting to have an official product made that is much higher quality.

Would their relationship with their fanbase change the way copyright infringement applies?

You're wrong in your assumption and accusation. I suggest reading the ToS I linked to earlier.

ArchfiendBobbie

First Post
You're wrong in your assumption and accusation. I suggest reading the ToS I linked to earlier.

Skyrim in Unreal Engine 4

Skyrim in Minecraft

The primary mod site for Skyrim and Fallout

Legend of Zelda in Skyrim, using the old format

Oblivion settlement building mod Fallout 4, which features the same gameplay element, was released four years later.

Can we get back to ignoring the ToS that even Bethesda has loophole abused to the point it's laughable? I got my answer on copyright, and it was a very good point.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Skyrim in Unreal Engine 4

Skyrim in Minecraft

The primary mod site for Skyrim and Fallout

Legend of Zelda in Skyrim, using the old format

Oblivion settlement building mod Fallout 4, which features the same gameplay element, was released four years later.

Can we get back to ignoring the ToS that even Bethesda has loophole abused to the point it's laughable? I got my answer on copyright, and it was a very good point.

Thinking that TOS is laughable is a mistake -- it's not. Further, your examples are bad.

The first may get a pass under fair use because it's a limited release of non-core IP after a transformative process. Since the display focuses on the transformation rather than the IP, this may squeak in under fair use.

The second is a licensed product. That kinda completely disarmed discussion about IP violation when you're directly licensed to distribute the IP. Also, it's a cool pack.

The third -- Nexus exists because of the creation kit TOS. They exist because the TOS allows that service to exist. Since mods are allowed, a site hosting mods is allowed so long as they promptly respond to DMCA requests per the law. And they do -- they do mod take downs for violations fairly often. Most fix what's wrong and come back.

The fourth is Nintendo's problem, not Bethesda's. Until Nintendo issues a takedown request it's not the hosting company's responsibility to enforce Nintendo's copyrights.

The last is, again, covered by the TOS, because it uses allowed Bethesda content for a Bethesda game.

But, again, to circle back to the point: 1000 people can do it before you and you can still be stopped for speeding. Same with IP violations. Do not convince yourself otherwise.

ArchfiendBobbie

First Post
Thinking that TOS is laughable is a mistake -- it's not. Further, your examples are bad.

The first may get a pass under fair use because it's a limited release of non-core IP after a transformative process. Since the display focuses on the transformation rather than the IP, this may squeak in under fair use.

The second is a licensed product. That kinda completely disarmed discussion about IP violation when you're directly licensed to distribute the IP. Also, it's a cool pack.

The third -- Nexus exists because of the creation kit TOS. They exist because the TOS allows that service to exist. Since mods are allowed, a site hosting mods is allowed so long as they promptly respond to DMCA requests per the law. And they do -- they do mod take downs for violations fairly often. Most fix what's wrong and come back.

The fourth is Nintendo's problem, not Bethesda's. Until Nintendo issues a takedown request it's not the hosting company's responsibility to enforce Nintendo's copyrights.

The last is, again, covered by the TOS, because it uses allowed Bethesda content for a Bethesda game.

But, again, to circle back to the point: 1000 people can do it before you and you can still be stopped for speeding. Same with IP violations. Do not convince yourself otherwise.

I'll come back to the ToS being laughable. First, I want to address the others.

The first you're right on. But it goes into the issue of if Bethesda even cares.

The second is not a licensed product. You're thinking of Minecraft: Skyrim Edition. The fact it's not a licensed product is addressed by the fact that adding shout sounds from Skyrim was outright stated to get the mod removed for copyright violation.

The third is important to the statement the ToS is laughable. The ToS on game mods speaks of mods that are distributed through a ZenaMax-owned site, and Nexusmods isn't owned by ZenaMax. Bethesda's ToS is completely irrelevant to anything posted on that site.

The fourth is to show another weakness of the ToS. It requires ZenaMax to take action against copyright violations of other companies. Yet because their ToS only covers their own distribution methods as far as actions they can take. But there is no ZenaMax mod distribution method for many Bethesda games, including the Elder Scrolls and Fallout franchises. Basically, absolutely nothing in the game mods section of their ToS actually applies to any game mod for most Elder Scrolls or Fallout games. They loophole abused themselves out of having to do anything about those mods, and the mods that are removed are removed under the ToS of Nexusmods.

The fourth is to show an example that Bethesda does take ideas from mods. Which, from what I understand, is something most mod creators are perfectly okay with.

The only aspects of their ToS that actually apply to anything the average person does is if someone hacks the Creation Club (which is a Fallout-only item), distributes the game illegally (covered under piracy laws), or Bethesda themselves does something that gets them sued and people lose access to a piece of content as a result. Because they specifically make it a point not to have the distribution methods that would allow people to distribute most mods through them, thus making it nearly impossible to violate or enforce. And if you read the ToS, you can see that the limit on it being a ZenaMax-owned distribution service even applies to things that are not game mods, outside of legal moves to protect their IP. That's why the ToS is laughable.

But as far as copyright violations? I have no argument.

Last edited:

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I'll come back to the ToS being laughable. First, I want to address the others.

The first you're right on. But it goes into the issue of if Bethesda even cares.

The second is not a licensed product. You're thinking of Minecraft: Skyrim Edition. The fact it's not a licensed product is addressed by the fact that adding shout sounds from Skyrim was outright stated to get the mod removed for copyright violation.

The third is important to the statement the ToS is laughable. The ToS on game mods speaks of mods that are distributed through a ZenaMax-owned site, and Nexusmods isn't owned by ZenaMax. Bethesda's ToS is completely irrelevant to anything posted on that site.

The fourth is to show another weakness of the ToS. It requires ZenaMax to take action against copyright violations of other companies. Yet because their ToS only covers their own distribution methods as far as actions they can take. But there is no ZenaMax mod distribution method for many Bethesda games, including the Elder Scrolls and Fallout franchises. Basically, absolutely nothing in the game mods section of their ToS actually applies to any game mod for most Elder Scrolls or Fallout games. They loophole abused themselves out of having to do anything about those mods, and the mods that are removed are removed under the ToS of Nexusmods.

The fourth is to show an example that Bethesda does take ideas from mods. Which, from what I understand, is something most mod creators are perfectly okay with.

The only aspects of their ToS that actually apply to anything the average person does is if someone hacks the Creation Club (which is a Fallout-only item), distributes the game illegally (covered under piracy laws), or Bethesda themselves does something that gets them sued and people lose access to a piece of content as a result. Because they specifically make it a point not to have the distribution methods that would allow people to distribute most mods through them, thus making it nearly impossible to violate or enforce. And if you read the ToS, you can see that the limit on it being a ZenaMax-owned distribution service even applies to things that are not game mods, outside of legal moves to protect their IP. That's why the ToS is laughable.

But as far as copyright violations? I have no argument.

Sure, well, and good. You speed if you want to. If you get pulled over and find out that the TOS actually does have teeth, don't complain; you were warned.

ArchfiendBobbie

First Post
Sure, well, and good. You speed if you want to. If you get pulled over and find out that the TOS actually does have teeth, don't complain; you were warned.

Eh. All of this argument goes back to me making the statement Bethesda doesn't care for the most part and likely won't do anything about this product. Except maybe decide they like the idea and get an official product of high quality made. All to ask a question about if copyright infringement still applies as normal given the different situation.

Far different from saying to do it or that I'll do it.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Eh. All of this argument goes back to me making the statement Bethesda doesn't care for the most part and likely won't do anything about this product. Except maybe decide they like the idea and get an official product of high quality made. All to ask a question about if copyright infringement still applies as normal given the different situation.

Far different from saying to do it or that I'll do it.

And millions of people speed every day and don't get caught. Violating agreed to contracts has a nasty habit of still being a problem for you if the company ever decides to do anything about it. See the Axanar saga for Star Trek. Assuming it's okay because you just saw a bunch of people speed past without getting tagged, or that the cops usually let this stuff go is a great way to find out how expensive litigation can be. You can run risks if you want to, but be honest about the actual risks, don't minimize them with arguments like this.

ArchfiendBobbie

First Post
And millions of people speed every day and don't get caught. Violating agreed to contracts has a nasty habit of still being a problem for you if the company ever decides to do anything about it. See the Axanar saga for Star Trek. Assuming it's okay because you just saw a bunch of people speed past without getting tagged, or that the cops usually let this stuff go is a great way to find out how expensive litigation can be. You can run risks if you want to, but be honest about the actual risks, don't minimize them with arguments like this.

Most ToS's are not legally enforceable within the United States. Same with most EULAs. That's why they include the part about refusal of service; they can just refuse service to you any further if you repeatedly cause a problem.

However, let's dig into this... grabbing relevant sections.

ToS said:
ZeniMax offers a range of services on PC, Mac, iOS devices, consoles, and mobile devices, including, but not limited to: (i) access to Content (defined in Section 2), (ii) games and other products or services that You install or play, including, but not limited to, ZeniMax’s computer and console entertainment software game(s) (collectively, “Game(s)”), (iii) software, including, but not limited to, third-party software (“Software”), and (iv) related services, such as membership programs that include special benefits for members, downloading and uploading media, forums, and additional features (together with Content, Games and Software collectively referred to as “Services”). For purposes of these Terms of Service, references to a “Game” include, unless the context requires otherwise, Content that is used or available in the Game or that is applicable to the Game and the Software that facilitates the playing of the Game.

This just provides a definition of Services for later on. It's relevant so some of the parts coming up make some sense.

You may not copy or download any Content from a Service unless You are expressly authorized to do so by ZeniMax in writing. You acknowledge and agree that You shall not reproduce, prepare derivative works based upon, distribute, publicly perform, or transmit any Content for commercial uses unless You obtained the express written consent of an authorized representative of ZeniMax. For clarification purposes, “derivative works based upon” Services and/or Content are works that are substantially similar, both in ideas and expression, to Services and/or Content. Therefore, if You or someone else creates a work and it is likely to bring to mind either or both Services (such as a Game) and Content, then it is likely that such work is a derivative work and as such may not be used for commercial purposes.

The document on the first page does not violate that. Next section.

Content includes user-generated Content that You contribute, provide, post, upload or otherwise submit to ZeniMax via a Service ("UGC"), provided that the term UGC does not include Game Mods (as defined below).

UGC includes any photographs, images, video, music and sounds that You contribute, provide, post, upload or otherwise submit to ZeniMax via a Service (collectively, “Your UGC”).

UGC includes Content contributed, provided, posted, uploaded or otherwise submitted to ZeniMax by any other person using or via the Services.

UGC also includes Content that is not Your UGC, including but is not limited to, Account personas, user names, forum posts, chat posts, customer service chats, communications, or other suggestions, ideas, notes, feedback, concepts or other information concerning the Services, whether generated at ZeniMax’s specific request or despite ZeniMax’s request that You not do so (such as Unsolicited Materials as described in Section 16) (collectively, “ZeniMax Owned UGC”). ZeniMax Owned UGC also includes all Content (other than Game Mods (as defined below)) that You create or develop using Content provided or made available by ZeniMax, including but not limited to Content that You create or develop that is a derivative work of the Content provided or made available by ZeniMax. For clarity, Content and materials that are created, developed or accessible within a Game or Service using Content or tools provided by ZeniMax (e.g., Content and material created via an in-Game editor and accessible only within the Game) are ZeniMax Owned UGC and not Game Mods (as defined below).

For clarity, ZeniMax Owned UGC does not include (i) any Content that You create or develop if such Content or if the creation or development of such Content would constitute a breach of this Agreement or any Supplementary Terms or would violate any law, (ii) any Content that You create or develop without the use of Content provided or made available by ZeniMax or (iii) any Game Mods (as defined below).

ZeniMax does not pre-screen UGC and does not endorse or approve any UGC that You and other users may contribute, provide, post, upload or otherwise submit via the Services. You are solely responsible for Your UGC and may be held liable for UGC that You contribute, provide, post, upload or otherwise submit.

You may not contribute, provide, post, upload or otherwise submit any UGC that is copyrighted, protected by trade secret law or otherwise subject to third party intellectual property rights, including, but not limited to, privacy and publicity rights, unless You own those rights free and clear or have written permission from their rightful owner to contribute, provide, post, upload or otherwise submit such UGC and to grant or assign the described license and property rights to ZeniMax as described below.

As between You and ZeniMax, You will be the owner of all of Your UGC (as defined above). To the fullest extent permitted by law, You hereby expressly grant (or You warrant that the owner of Your UGC has expressly granted) to ZeniMax and its licensors, licensees and designees a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, paid-up, non-exclusive, royalty-free, transferable, sublicensable (through multiple tiers of sublicensees) right and license to exercise all rights of any kind or nature associated with Your UGC in all formats and media, whether existing now or in the future, and You agree not to assert or enforce any moral rights or similar rights You may have which may now or may hereafter be recognized, and all ancillary and subsidiary rights, in any languages and media now known or not currently known.

Unless otherwise prohibited by applicable law or regulation, by contributing, providing, posting, uploading or otherwise submitting ZeniMax Owned UGC or creating ZeniMax Owned UGC, You acknowledge and agree that all such ZeniMax Owned UGC is the sole property of ZeniMax and You hereby assign and agree to assign to ZeniMax all such ZeniMax Owned UGC contributed, provided, posted, uploaded or otherwise submitted by You and such assignment will be effective on the date the ZeniMax Owned UGC is created. To the extent that ZeniMax cannot claim exclusive ownership rights in such ZeniMax UGC by operation of law or pursuant to the assignment noted above, and to the fullest extent permitted by law, You hereby expressly grant (or You warrant that the owner of such ZeniMax UGC has expressly granted) to ZeniMax and its licensors, licensees and designees a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, paid-up, non-exclusive, royalty-free, transferable, sublicensable (through multiple tiers of sublicensees) right and license to exercise all rights of any kind or nature associated with such ZeniMax UGC in all formats and media, whether existing now or in the future, and You agree not to assert or enforce any moral rights or similar rights You may have which may now or may hereafter be recognized, and all ancillary and subsidiary rights, in any languages and media now known or not currently known.

You further grant each user of the Services a non-exclusive license to access UGC and to use, reproduce, distribute, display and perform such UGC as permitted through the Services, including, but not limited to, Game functionality.

If so required under applicable law, You will enter into any agreement or undertake any action as deemed necessary by ZeniMax to effect the licenses described above in this Section.

IN ALL CASES of ugc under THIS section 2, EXCEPT AS PROHIBITED BY APPLICABLE LAW AND SUBJECT TO THE STATUTORY OBLIGATIONS (AS DEFINED IN SECTION 1), ZeniMax reserves the right (but has no obligation except as required by law) to REVIEW, remove, block, edit, move or disable UGC for any reason, with or without notice, and HAS no liability of any kind WITH RESPECT TO UGC, including WITHOUT LIMITATION when ZeniMax determines that UGC violates THESE TERMS OF SERVICE. The decision to remove UGC or other Content at any time is in ZeniMax's sole and final discretion. To the maximum extent permitted by law, ZeniMax does not assume any responsibility or liability for UGC or for ITS removal or FOR any failure to or delay in removing, UGC or other Content.

Well... Under this section, if you read it right, then ZeniMax possibly owns the Skyrim supplement. Interesting. And if you read it another way, ZeniMax cannot take action against this product since it was not actually submitted to them or through one of their distribution methods. And a third way is that both are true, making this potentially ZeniMax property that ZeniMax can't touch. But they certainly are not liable for anything that happens with it.

Basically, the item on the first page needs to change their last page to have a proper copyright notice for Skyrim.

But at no point does the ToS actually come into play if this is not a copyright violation, just due to the fact it hamstrings itself on what it can enforce by limiting itself entirely to content submitted to ZeniMax or distributed through them or something they own. No mod is distributed in that manner, the Minecraft mods are not distributed in that manner, the very document in the first post is not distributed in that manner... In no case can there be a violation of the ToS cited simply because the ToS does not apply to this situation.

Now, whether or not it violates Skyrim's copyright is another matter. There's a good argument there. And a very good reason not to take risks like the OP does in the first place. Because he's risking massive monetary damages and jail time, not having his document taken down from some distribution service ZeniMax runs.

Remove ads