Slate article on Gary's legacy (Merged with Gary Gygax Slandered)

Darklone

"RPG A is better than RPG B."

Even if the rest of the article would make sense, that part alone shows to me he's just a dumb show off who tries to get attention.

Kwalish Kid

Explorer
The first mistake the guy made in that article is that GURPS is not really different from D&D. The one big difference is that GURPS explicitly supports other genres. However, the prevalence of combat in GURPS rules also makes these other settings into D&D as he defines it.

The second mistake the guy made is that he doesn't take the time to define D&D. Some of his comments don't apply equally to all versions.

There are really a host of other errors. It is unfortunate, since the article could have been a fairly positive look at the unfortunate role of violence and the acquisition of material wealth that is central to much of role-playing. It doesn't do any good to uncritically laud D&D without recognizing that these elements can be troubling.

Last edited:

Aus_Snow

First Post
It is baffling in its daftness. Like a bot that couldn't be deprogrammed once it had spied flamewars long past, anchored there to this very day.

mearls

Hero
I think it's really, really sad that the editors at Slate have decided that getting hits for their web site and views for their ads are far, far more important things than simple consideration for Gary's friends and family.

Gary invented a game. He wasn't a powerful world leader, a multi-millionaire who wielded vast power and influence, or a massive celebrity living in posh comfort. He was pretty much a normal guy who built a hobby into a business, and then into a whole new way to play games.

It's sad that the editors of Slate felt that a few extra advertising dollars are worth borderline slandering the guy. I guess the insult to Gary's family is worth a few bucks for them, worth another little step up in notoriety for the writer.

But that's really what society is about today. We've exchanged human kindness and consideration in our daily interactions for anger, recrimination, and profit. We'd rather have leaders who rise to the top by squashing everyone below them than by uplifting our hopes, hearts, and minds.

I'm sure tomorrow it'll be someone else, a different crowd to rile up. If I could wave a magic wand, I'd make it so that noboby bothered to read the article, and we all forgot it and its author even existed. That'd be the sweetest revenge we could make on Gary's behalf.

catsclaw227

First Post
Yep -- it was a pretty classless move. And GURPS as the performance art RPG? I wonder if Slate actually did a lot of fact-checking on this one.... oh, wait, it's an opinion piece.

OK -- then we can ignore it for what it is. Ignorant drivel.

Lanefan said:
What baffles me is why these opinions, if so strongly held, weren't published and publicized while Mr. G was still alive and able to defend himself.
Because Slate would not have published it two weeks ago. That's why. And as for Slate, they did print op ed pieces more favorable to Gary so don't blame Slate.

Personally, I'd like to see a rebuttal from SJG. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't want to be associated with the article.

mearls said:
But that's really what society is about today. We've exchanged human kindness and consideration in our daily interactions for anger, recrimination, and profit. We'd rather have leaders who rise to the top by squashing everyone below them than by uplifting our hopes, hearts, and minds.
I am not sure that society has changed in this regards at all. Maybe there were times where it was different, but never consistently.

Kindness is usually only given to persons you personally meet. But I am afraid that we might go a little off-topic here...

Rykion

Explorer
Another article written as an attention grab. This time Gary doesn't matter because all he did was co-create the first RPG, and it was hack and slash which is "sociopathic" bad wrong fun by the author's well vetted credentials. Tha article didn't even get the year D&D was originally published right.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
"What's wrong with Dungeons & Dragons? It plays like a video game. "

This line gave me a chuckle. D&D came first, so wouldn't video games play like D&D?

Ah, people under 30 educated in the American public school system. :D

Remove ads