• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"sleeper" spells you didn't realize were so good

Sorren

First Post
Storm Raven said:
You have materials knowledge that relates to how matter interacts with magical force effects such as the mage armor or shield spell? How exactly did you come by such knowledge?

Wow. This thread is almost five months old and you ressurrected it to ask that? I doubt you'll get an answer. The original poster is probably dead of old age. ;)

Back on topic then.

I've recently discovered Color Spray to be a very powerful spell, almost overpowered even. Not sure why I never noticed it before.

Last edited:

fafhrd

First Post
Sorren said:
I've recently discovered Color Spray to be a very powerful spell, almost overpowered even. Not sure why I never noticed it before.

If you substitute "Entangle" for "Color Spray", I'd utter the exact statement. DC 20 to break free. Egads. The druid in my party essentially wiped out the van of an army of orcs with liberal use of entangle. The sorceress was by her side chucking fireballs in a similar fashion, but the entangle seemed to cause more mayhem!

buzzard

First Post
Sorren said:
Wow. This thread is almost five months old and you ressurrected it to ask that? I doubt you'll get an answer. The original poster is probably dead of old age. ;)
Nope not dead yet.

However I do have the sense to ignore people trying to stir up trouble (not you of course).

Sorren said:
Back on topic then.

I've always been a fan of this spell. It loses a fair amount of its potency againts high HD targets, but I suppose stunned for a round is still pretty good.

buzzard

Sorren

First Post
buzzard said:
I've always been a fan of this spell. It loses a fair amount of its potency againts high HD targets, but I suppose stunned for a round is still pretty good.

buzzard

But at low levels, it can mean death to an entire party!

jerichothebard

First Post
I have to second the entangle vote. We have been using that to great effect a lot lately, and it has saved our bacon by breaking up enemy charges. Although it is getting less effective as enemy save bonuses go up.

*sigh* just have to come up with something better...

jtb

Ferret

Explorer
What about 'Moment of prescience' I heard it got a bad rap because it was a marginly better then True strick. However IIRC it let you anticipate actions that hadn't happened yet, which could be very good if you had an imaginitve DM.

Kalendraf

Explorer
As others have mentioned, I find Glitterdust to be highly underrated. It's great for revealling invisible foes as well as blinding within the area of effect.

For clerics & bards, Soundburst is very underrated, at least from what I've seen. While it only does 1d8 in a 10' radius, there is no save vs. that damage. There's also a chance that the foes will be stunned (which makes them drop items they were holding). It's a great spell to allow the rest of the party to swarm/flank anyone that gets stunned, and then quickly finish them off, usually getting AoO's when they try to reclaim their dropped weapon.

Pants

First Post
Kalendraf said:
For clerics & bards, Soundburst is very underrated, at least from what I've seen. While it only does 1d8 in a 10' radius, there is no save vs. that damage. There's also a chance that the foes will be stunned (which makes them drop items they were holding). It's a great spell to allow the rest of the party to swarm/flank anyone that gets stunned, and then quickly finish them off, usually getting AoO's when they try to reclaim their dropped weapon.
In an FR game I played in a long while ago, the Half-Orc Cleric PC managed to kill around 20 (!) Gibberlings with a well placed Sound Burst. From then on, that spell has seen continual use.

timerino

Explorer
Water Coverage

Isida Kep'Tukari said:
Create water actually ended up being an invisibility detector. for one of my characters Though I was a 12th level cleric, see invisibility was one of the spells that I didn't have prepared that day. By creating 24 gallons of water on the floor, centered on me, my allies and I were able to see the footprints of the invisible people around us.
That depends on how many 'squares' does your water cover? Does it start at a point-source and take another round to reach its edges?

It's a great idea! Kinda like the most more useful part of Glitterdust (the outlining of an opponent) without the SR or save.

timerino

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads