• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"sleeper" spells you didn't realize were so good

timerino

Explorer
fafhrd said:
If you substitute "Entangle" for "Color Spray", I'd utter the exact statement. DC 20 to break free. Egads. The druid in my party essentially wiped out the van of an army of orcs with liberal use of entangle. The sorceress was by her side chucking fireballs in a similar fashion, but the entangle seemed to cause more mayhem!
Entangle is only useful when you are outdoors (it needs plants to 'grow' from: not a lot of plants in dungeons and cities) and your party likes to use range attacks. I've had melee types scream against entangle because IF the opponent gets out, they can't get away.

IMHO it is a great spell. It's better than Brambles as it does not (curiously) provide cover for the entangled.

timerino

LostSoul

Adventurer
Not that it's really a sleeper spell, but you can use Lesser Planar Binding as an atheist's Commune. Call a Quasit, and have him perform a Commune for you.

It's also a fairly expensive way of getting a Commune if you're an Evil Cleric with cash to burn, who needs to know an answer right away, and you can't get off Commune yourself (and Divination just won't cut it).

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Pants said:
In an FR game I played in a long while ago, the Half-Orc Cleric PC managed to kill around 20 (!) Gibberlings with a well placed Sound Burst. From then on, that spell has seen continual use.

Heh.

Our cleric dropped through a hole into the next room... into the middle of a bunch of hobgoblins. After one round, he was down to seven hit points, and none of the rest of us could get past the BBEG to help him.

"Seven hit points!" we said. "Hobgoblins have six. Sound burst does 1d8, and you've got a good Fort save. You probably won't roll an 8... what have you got to lose?"

So he dropped a Sound Burst at his feet... and rolled a 6, staggering all the hobbos surrounding him, and all but one of them were stunned as well.

Since then, "Sound Burst on yourself!" has been one of our standard tactical calls...

-Hyp.

TheFan

First Post
Felon said:
He got hit by three arrows that took him down pretty much on the spot. Had he been struck with an assortment of dozens of arrows, javelins, and other assorted ranged piercing weapons, and just toted them around the battlefield, then naturally would have strained suspension of disbelief.

I suppose you might have a point there.
Reminds me of the Song of Roland...

Destil

Explorer
apsuman said:
And that is for a full moon. Imagine that you only had one third (or less) of a moon visible, creativley arranging those 12 cubes you could make the illusion of a moon that would be say 30 or more feet in diameter, you could be even further away to make that image.
Though in this case the dark part of the moon wouldn't cover up stars behind it, anyone with a reasonable int wouldn't even need a will save in my game to notice that illusion :p

Destil

Explorer
Storminator said:
I'll also throw in Command, with my favorite command word: swim. It isn't universally applicable, but when it is, it's devastating.

PS
I usualy do comnand: Catch with an ally using a ready action to throw something fairly leathal at the recipent or command: disrobe...

That's a very good idea, though! I've done jump near a cliff once or twice, but never thought of swim...

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Destil said:
I usualy do comnand: Catch with an ally using a ready action to throw something fairly leathal at the recipent or command: disrobe...

That's a very good idea, though! I've done jump near a cliff once or twice, but never thought of swim...

Of course, in 3.5, you can only pick from Approach, Drop, Fall, Flee, and Halt.

-Hyp.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
It was only at about 11th level that my sorcerer realised what a great spell False Life is - 1d10+10 temp hp that last for a nice long time, empowered as a 4th level spell gives a range of 16-30 temp hp. For a sorcerer it is a bit like "pre-healing" yourself. You've typically got spell levels to burn by this time, and each time the temp healing buffer gets too low (say 5 or less) you can just recast false life.

It has turned out to be a fantastic defensive spell

Cheers

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads