• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Sleeping in armor

Tush Hog

First Post
Do you impose any restrictions on sleeping in armor?

I've considered using the exhaustion table (but maybe capping it at level 1) and a con check but wanted to know how others handle it.

Celebrim

Legend
Do you impose any restrictions on sleeping in armor?

I've considered using the exhaustion table (but maybe capping it at level 1) and a con check but wanted to know how others handle it.

In order to sleep in my game, you have to make an endurance check - generally DC 10. Failure leaves you fatigued until you can get a restful night sleep. Various circumstance bonuses or penalties apply depending on the conditions you are trying to sleep in - for example basic shelter gives you a +2 bonus (and may provide protection from inclement weather) and a proper bed roll gives a +2 bonus, or +4 for the combination. (You'd be surprised, or maybe not, how fast the party purchases bedding, tents, and such for travelling when they learn that.) A real bed, clean sheets, and proper shelter is a +8 bonus - which means there is a real point to paying for an inn or finding a 'homely house'. However, armor check penalties always apply if you try to sleep in armor. There is also a feat called 'Campaigner' that basically lets you ignore all penalties to your attempt to sleep including all armor check penalties provided you are proficient in the armor you are sleeping in. And of course, the Endurance feat definitely helps. If you are an Explorer, it's not hard to come by an effective bonus of +13 even at low level, so sleeping in light armor is very doable. Plate on the other hand...

manuzed78

First Post
In order to sleep in my game, you have to make an endurance check - generally DC 10.

I do the same but the DC is 10, 12 OR 14 ( light, medium or heavy armor) each fail gives an exhaustion level with a max of 4.
Each night sleeping without armor level down one level exhaustion.

Starfox

Hero
This is one rule my live-roleplaying friends really want to kill off - as they have slept in armor RL and are none the worse for wear.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
What type of armor? What conditions?

• Light - No, I don't see this too much different from clothing
  • Medium - Some, you just can't rest completely.
  • Heavy - Yes and this type can be dangerous to the characters. Too close to a fire and you cook inside it, too far away from a fire and it sucks the heat from your body.

Conditions, after travel of 10 hours, a fight, rain, in a dungeon, underground, winter, summer, spring or fall, how many days in a row?

Last edited:

Sadras

Legend
This is one rule my live-roleplaying friends really want to kill off - as they have slept in armor RL and are none the worse for wear.

This is quite interesting. Is it possible if you could please provide us some details on this? The armour type they wore, weather conditions if outside or on the floor or bed inside..etc

Evenglare

Adventurer
This is quite interesting. Is it possible if you could please provide us some details on this? The armour type they wore, weather conditions if outside or on the floor or bed inside..etc

I agree, claims require evidence, while extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Kaylos

First Post
I agree, claims require evidence, while extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

I have slept in short rests in armor as well. Not entirely comfortable, but I did get solid rest out of it. The armor was leather, steel knee and elbow cops, and Maille Shirt. It was the SCA at large events like Gulf Wars and Pennsic. On top ot that, I slept constantly in body armor in Iraq when we crossed the border in 2003. Again, not entirely comfortable, but doable. The worst part would be waking up feeling stiff and sore, but the effect was short term. Kind of like falling asleep while riding in a car. You wake up stiff, but feeling much more rested.

Remove ads