• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Sleeping PCs and threat

S

Sunseeker

Typically my parties have been smart enough to take watch rotations. Thanks to the "light activity" portion of the 8-hour rest, my party typically only goes without a watcher for about 2 hours per rest. But otherwise yes I run it as an auto-surprise round.

Halivar

First Post
I would be an angel DM and tell your players that all veteran gaming groups post a watch every single night. Even at inns. Even in the king's castle. In fact, DM's in my group just assume we're keeping watch. If an ambush happens, they preface with "what was the watch order, again?"

S

Sunseeker

I would be an angel DM and tell your players that all veteran gaming groups post a watch every single night. Even at inns. Even in the king's castle. In fact, DM's in my group just assume we're keeping watch. If an ambush happens, they preface with "what was the watch order, again?"

Yeah, I tend to be a nice DM on the matter too. I really hate DMs who want you to state everything you do.
Player: Hey DM?
DM: Yes?
Player: I want you to be aware that my character breathes normally, all the time, except when swimming or in poisonous gas.
DM: Okay.
***later that night***
DM: Okay Player, you take 40 choking damage from inhaling the food.
Player: What?
DM: You never said you change the way you breathe while you eat.

Honestly though, someonHe being awake on watch while the party is resting is MUCH more fun. MAWHAHAAAAAA!!!!

Horwath

Legend
I would say that you get -10 to passive perception to hear someone sneaking towards you.
Elves would get -5 to passive perception due to trance.

that way you get almost always surprised and elves get most likely surprised.

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
My current Out of the Abyss group for like 5 sessions NEVER set Watches. Ever. They just completely ignored it. It wasnt till we got a new player join who was incredulous that it didnt happen, that it start to happen.

Amatiel

Explorer
Leomunds tiny hut - every party's most popular spell. Pretty much invulnerable while you sleep. For a night time camp, you can even make the force bubble black to make it hard to spot at night. Even if something does, unless its a beholder or spell-caster with disintegrate, they aren't getting inside any time fast :)

Don't forget that PCs awakened in the middle of the night are likely to be unarmored or at the very least not have a shield. I can imagine someone, under some circumstances, sleeping in armor, but under no circumstances can I imagine routinely sleeping with a shield strapped to your arm all night.

Even if you're not "surprised" you probably lose a round getting geared up and/or casting Mage Armor/etc., and in the case of light/medium/heavy armor you have to go into the fight unarmored.

Ergo, yay for Leomund's Tiny Hut/Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion.

Remove ads