• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Small bow ranges

adwyn

Community Supporter
Are there any official WoTC rules for changing ranges for missle weapons when the size changes? For example is the range increment for a small short bow different than a medium?

DreamChaser

Explorer
adwyn said:
Are there any official WoTC rules for changing ranges for missle weapons when the size changes? For example is the range increment for a small short bow different than a medium?

neither have I but I think this would be a place where the carry capacity modifier (75% for small creatures, for example) could be used: note that it would make small characters even less combat ideal.

DC

Len

Prodigal Member
DreamChaser said:
note that it would make small characters even less combat ideal.
I wouldn't reduce the range increment, for just that reason. The weapon already has a smaller damage die. If you need a justification, say that the arrows are lighter therefore it takes less strength to fire them a long distance.

Sledge

First Post
If it is ever brought up I would definitely reduce it. However if a player doesn't say anything I'll just pretend I don't see it.
Also remember it isn't "strength" that determines range, it is pull. This is limited by strength, but the standard halfling just cannot pull his bow back far enough to even get close.

TheEvil

Explorer
Sledge said:
If it is ever brought up I would definitely reduce it. However if a player doesn't say anything I'll just pretend I don't see it.
Also remember it isn't "strength" that determines range, it is pull. This is limited by strength, but the standard halfling just cannot pull his bow back far enough to even get close.

So this is something you would be comfortable house ruling then?

Henrix

Explorer
There is no difference in range increments between differently sized weapons, nor do Ithink there should be.
Small characters have it tough enough as it is.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
If you're looking for WotC-published rules, check Savage Species p42 - for each increase or decrease in size category, the range increment alters by 25%.

This was published before the 3.5 PHB, so it's not a 3.5 rule... but if you're looking for a rule to use, it's easy enough to import.

Medium Longbow: 100ft.
Large Longbow: 125ft.
Small Longbow: 75ft.

-Hyp.

Aust Diamondew

First Post
I've often thought about this myself. And I think reducing by 25% for small and increasing by 25% for large creatures seems fair. If you think this hurts halflings and gnomes too much just give them a new minor ability to power them up, maybe increase all of the halflings skill bonuses from +2 to +3 for example.

adwyn

Community Supporter
Hypersmurf thank you. The 25% matches what I had already house ruled but I was curious to see if there was anything offiical.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads