• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

small longspear

Christian

Explorer
Evidently. And a 3' halfling gets 10' reach with it, but a 6' human doesn't. Fun 3.5 weapon sizing rule facts to chew on while they fit you with the white 'I-love-me' jacket.

Sejs

First Post
AbeTheGnome said:
does a small longspear still have the same reach as a regular-sized longspear?
Small does, yes.

Tiny does not.

Look at it like this: a small reach weapon juuuust barely qualifies for that range, whereas a medium reach weapon is quite comfortably situated. Sort of like how dwarves are basically small but squeak into medium territory, only with weapons instead of people.

Sejs

First Post
Corsair said:
dual wielding small spiked chains? :)
Inferior damage, inappropriate-sized weapon penalties, AND penalties for TWF when the off-hand weapon isn't light? And I get to pay an extra feat? Sign me up!

:p

werk

First Post
AbeTheGnome said:
does a small longspear still have the same reach as a regular-sized longspear?

The thing to keep in mind is that reach is a multiplier rather than a measure of length.

"Most reach weapons double the wielder’s natural reach"

Felnar

First Post
who would play a halfling/gnome if they needed a reach weapon to threaten adjacent squares?
or if they got 1/2 hit dies like many creatures smaller than humans do?
some stuff is there for balance and you just gotta live with it, oh wells

Christian

Explorer
Felnar said:
who would play a halfling/gnome if they needed a reach weapon to threaten adjacent squares?

Virtually nobody, unless they balanced it some other way. But people still played gnomes and halflings in 3.0, when they had no standard means of getting 10' reach. Weapon sizing rules had some weirdness in 3.0, but I personally think they made it worse with the 3.5 changes ...

entr0py

First Post
Christian said:
Virtually nobody, unless they balanced it some other way. But people still played gnomes and halflings in 3.0, when they had no standard means of getting 10' reach. Weapon sizing rules had some weirdness in 3.0, but I personally think they made it worse with the 3.5 changes ...

Amen brother...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads