• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Smallville or Dullsville

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Tarrasque Wrangler said:
Heh heh. Obviously, no one under the age of consent has ever had sex before :lol:.

Yeah, well, whether or not they actually engage in the activity in the real world, it would not be politic for a TV show largely targetted at minors to depict rampant sex amongst minors, or to depict minors so directly as sexual creatures.

Once these characters are of age, however, they become free game.

Maerdwyn

First Post
What Umbran said.

Also, not sure, as a father, I like the approving portrayal of an a relationship between a college grad and seventeen year old Lana either. Maybe I'm a prude. So be it. :)

Ranger REG

Explorer
Umbran said:
What, the gold and silver age Superboy comics don't count? The comic ran, I think, from 1949 through 1965! That's "a few"?
Only if you let me borrow your stash, old man. :p

Just kidding.

RangerWickett said:
Obviously Jor-El's an idjut, assuming he isn't some sort of Zod rip-off. I mean, dude is using a farmboy to take over the world?
That farmboy is his son. I mean you can portray Jor-El as the most sinister, but even villains have a special place in their dark hearts for family. The same could be said of Lionel and Lex, also of Darth and Luke.

Last edited:

Fast Learner

First Post
We've only had 3 episodes of Lost so far. I don't think it's even meaningful to compare the two shows: give Lost another 6 to 10 episodes and we'll know how good the show is, imo. Until then it's a known vs. a relative unknown, brand new vs. 3 full seasons, and it's just premature.

Stone Angel

First Post
I love smallville as I will love anything Superman related. Wed is the only night I ever watch TV due to Smallville and Scare tactics. But yes they can definitely do somethings better. Not sure how I feel about Lois but it is nice to see that a woman can take care of herself even if the daughter of a special forces officer is a little cheesy but...What can you do. Everything having to do with kryptonite is a little old. Even though I liked the black Kryptonite for a little change.

I am not really sure what I would like to see. Seeing Clark on the Fooosball team is neat good to see him doing normal teenage stuff.

There was a gap that I missed what happened with the whole Native american guy with the knife and how did Lana get that Tatoo on her back? Anyone care to fill me in.

The Seraph of Earth and Stone

Ranger REG

Explorer
Fast Learner said:
We've only had 3 episodes of Lost so far. I don't think it's even meaningful to compare the two shows: give Lost another 6 to 10 episodes and we'll know how good the show is, imo. Until then it's a known vs. a relative unknown, brand new vs. 3 full seasons, and it's just premature.
Funny how two months ago, many posters on this forum think Lost is gonna be a lost cause.

:p

Beale Knight

First Post
I’m quite a Smallville fan. It’s one of the very few shows I make a real effort to catch. It isn’t nearly perfect, I’ve caught myself making Scooby-Doo jokes during some episodes, but I was pleased to see them focus on the High School in episode 3 this year. Not only was it a little lighter than the first two, but this is, after all, a series about Clark Kent – In High School! I expect the characters to act like high school kids, hormones, frustration, fragile egos, and all. With developing super powers and kryptonite thrown in to make it interesting.

Kryptonite villain of the week? Well kryptonite has had a huge impact on the region, like it has no where else on the planet, so that’s a natural device for the villains. And it serves to present villains that demand Clark’s attention. There’s been no evidence (IIRC) of kryptonite nobodys of the week, kryptonite good guys but a little busy with other stuff of the week, kryptonite affected me but my family moved away when I was 6 people of the week, etc, because even if they’re around in Smallville they’re not involved in the plot. They aren’t causing problems that demand someone with super powers to help solve. I haven’t done a review to see how many times a non-kryptonite villain has been featured. This is something I’ll have to look into, my curiosity is now up.

I’ve been a huge Superman and comics fan for as long as I’ve been able to read. I don’t mind the liberties the show’s taken a bit. I never minded that Pete Ross was black, Lana wasn’t a redhead, and that the totally invented for Smallville character of Chole was a central character in the show. I’m still not sure how I feel about Lois showing up so early in Clark’s life, but I like the way she’s been written and acted so far. I’m, quite frankly, NOT real fond of the whole – Jor-El visited Smallville in the early sixties and there’s an ancient native prophecy regarding the coming of the super man – bit. That’s my biggest beef with the series, and it honestly hasn’t spoiled things for me.

The Superman story has been told and retold and changed everytime. Some changes have been bigger than others. Sometimes when adapted to another medium it made DRASTIC changes. Like Kryptonite. It was invented for the radio show long before it made an appearance in the comics (an unpublished story nonwithstanding).

So Smallville is making some changes in the general continuity. It’s also gotten a whole lot of folks interested or re-interested in Superman. And I think that’s a good thing.

Maxwell's Demon

First Post
Maerdwyn said:
What Umbran said.

Also, not sure, as a father, I like the approving portrayal of an a relationship between a college grad and seventeen year old Lana either. Maybe I'm a prude. So be it. :)

Personally I was far more disturbed by the idea of a senior dating a freshman at the beginning of the show. Especially since it had all the hallmarks of something that had been going on for a while. Back it up just one more year and you have a high school junior dating someone in junior high. And that's far too freaky for me. I can't imagine any responsible parent allowing that to happen.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads