• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Smoke inhalation - when PCs do silly things in enclosed spaces

Al2O3

Explorer
I would assume the problem to be similar to standing in the smoke of a campfire, and the fire to last no more than 2 rounds anyway (see the PHB description of the flask of oil).

So poisoned for a couple of rounds, the light at the bottom is out and the oil is wasted.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using EN World mobile app

Satyrn

First Post
I think a Con Save or be Poisoned is good enough. If they fail, once they're completely out of it for a minute give them another Con save to shake it off or else it'll take a Short Rest. If they're in an especially thick, black, nasty smoke (i.e. more then a smoke cloud) and they're coughing and retching or something similar, then maybe start them Suffocating.

Go with this. If anybody knows the effects of inhalation it's [MENTION=6876146]SmokeyCriminal[/MENTION]

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I would assume the problem to be similar to standing in the smoke of a campfire, and the fire to last no more than 2 rounds anyway (see the PHB description of the flask of oil).

So poisoned for a couple of rounds, the light at the bottom is out and the oil is wasted.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using EN World mobile app

The shaft was roughly 2.5 feet by 4 feet, so a bit narrower than that.

Poisoned for a few rounds is not a consequence though, unless in the middle of a fight, why bother making people roll if they are going to recover immediately?

edit: I do agree that a short rest to recover sounds pretty reasonable.

DemonSlayer

Explorer
Unless it's important to the story that one of them fail, I would simply overlook it and say they they have a coughing fit, their eyes water, and that they regret their bad idea. I might have the smoke do some minor damage to them to reflect the ordeal.

The smoke will dissipate the further it goes, so unless it can build up somehow, it should only affect someone close to the source.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads