• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Sneak Attack: optional or mandatory?

I prefer Sneak Attack to be...

• a mandatory/common feature of all Rogues

Votes: 44 37.9%
  • a feature of some Rogue subclasses only

Votes: 39 33.6%
  • optional for each Rogue individually (~Wizardry)

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • something else (or whatever)

Votes: 5 4.3%

N'raac

First Post
You replied to me, and it's what I was talking about. I am not in charge of the thread, but I damn well am in charge of the things I say. So if you wanted to talk about something else, why did you say it to me, quoting me?

Sounds like a difference in posting style. I post to “the discussion group”, and I use quotes for context. If I want to direct a comment to a specific Board member, we have private messaging and [MENTION=6682655]Poster[/MENTION].

And I made that clear you're constructing a strawman. The Rogue still uses swords and bows, not a simple dagger. They still have their Dex bonus on that bow. They can still attack from surprise while hiding. The only thing they lost was sneak attack in this scenario. So please, stop claiming it's just a wizard's equivalent 1d4 attack.

In 3e, Rogues are proficient with all simple weapons, plus the hand crossbow, rapier, sap, shortbow, and short sword. I don’t play 4e, and I’m not conversant with any changes in 5e. A halfling rogue uses Small weapons, so his rapier, short sword or shortbow (in 3e, at least) does the same 1d4 as the wizard’s dagger. Are there larger weapons he can Finesse?

No we're not. At least, that's not what I am talking about, and I've repeatedly said this is not about reducing weapon proficiencies, main stat, or any of the other basic combat abilities. We're talking about a single situational special combat ability (sneak attack). It's something that's been successfully traded in prior editions of the game with no appreciable impact to people's overall games. For example, in 3e, an official variant rogue allowed you to gain feats and lose sneak attack.

First off, what worked in another edition may or may not work here. Losing a 2e Backstab would be a lot less of an issue, as it was much less frequently useful. 3e is, to me, where the “trade all abilities in one area to hyperspecialize in another” issues started to arise, so a 3e variant doesn’t really sway my view.

Second, I have said repeatedly that I am not opposed to other options instead of Sneak Attack, but that this combat ability should be tradable for a different combat ability. My first choice would be a variety of combat-related choices, not sneak attack as the default.

I'm looking at the rogue's abilities in Next, and really there's Sneak Attack or attacks that require Sneak Attack. Yes, there are a few more like Poison or Ace in the Hole, but the vast majority of a rogue's combat ability comes from Sneak Attack. I don't see how that can be disputed. Mearls has been very clear, increased damage is the main way to differentiate a high level character's offensive ability from a low level's due to the flat math they're going for.

This shows me two things. First, Sneak Attack is the biggest combat ability. Second, choices need to be in the base, core rules, otherwise other mechanics naturally start to assume that Sneak Attack will be there. Thanks for the heads up, ThirdWizard.

It's not the rogues main combat feature. Their main combat feature is hitting you from a hidden spot with an arrow or a finesse weapon. That's always be the rogues best combat tactics. Sneak attack is situational, gives no attack bonus, and only adds a relatively minor amount of damage at the lower levels that most people play with. It's not their main combat ability.

So the Rogue’s main ability, in your view is that he can find a spot to hide in and surprise you from there, which is somehow less situational than a sneak attack? At 1d6 to 7d6, I find sneak attack a pretty sweet damage adder. If I’m starting with an attach that does 1d6 (or 1d4) and adding 2d6, that triples my damage. An average of +7 damage on 2d6 is like having an extra 14 STR. That seems like more than “a relatively minor amount of damage” – what does an equivalent level Fighter deal out reliably (versus this at least somewhat situational bonus)?

I was staying on topic. The fighter, for example, got feats in 3e as their primary class feature. If they selected non-combat feats instead of combat feats, that was them trading away. That IS the topic.

The fighter’s bonus feats had to be combat-related. This would be similar to providing a choice of combat-related benefits, one of which is Sneak Attack, rather than defaulting to Sneak Attack, which is my preferred approach.

As for the rogue, it's not their entire combat. You're exaggerating for effect here. It's an entirely meaningless ability if they don't hit, and that hit itself will do more damage at most levels than the sneak attack adds to it.

WTF is the rogue attacking with that does more than 2d6? 3d6? Up to 7d6? Apparently, Next is making way more changes to weapon damage than I expected!

I'd like to point out that this really depends on the specific iteration of Sneak Attack. There has been some significant fluctuation throughout the D&D Next run, not to mention earlier editions of D&D. I'm currently playing a level 7 Rogue. Right now, that means +2d6. Back in March, it meant +4d6. The level depends, too, though I think it's unfair to dismiss higher level play because fewer people get there. Sometimes it's not too significant. Other times it's tantamount to a second, or at higher levels even a third or fourth, attack when it hits. So, how much of a role it plays can vary greatly depending on the specific rules for Sneak Attack.

To me, the Sneak Attack also has to be meaningful damage at all levels. If it is not, then the ability itself is poorly designed. How much is “meaningful”? At least enough that, when it applies, the Rogue can deal as much or a bit more damage than a Fighter reliably delivers with his hits.

Would you agree though that rogues are typically opportunists at heart? If so, bsckstabbing is simply one combat-related form of opportunism. I think thry are, but they dont neccesarily develop exactly the same way for all rogues. Make it available, but optional.

Yup – make it available among other combat-related abilities based on opportunism. You know what? Let’s also give them the ability to either add to an existing combat ability (eg. +1d6 Sneak Attack) or take one of the other ones every 3rd level (assumed based on 1d6 to 7d6 progression). Choice is great, but I want all characters to have choices of combat abilities and choices of noncombat abilities, not the choice to hyperfocus on one and take nothing in the other (at least in the default/core rules)

pemerton

Legend
Rogues have two paths in the play test: Assassination (combat focused) and Thievery (exploration focused). Take away Sneak Attack and the Assassination rogue loses access to several key abilities
Who is suggesting that the Assassin would lose sneak attack? We're talking about alternate sub-classes, not changing extent sub-classes so that their abilities are in contradiction to their labels.

For the record, I'd be fine with a rogue trading Sneak Attack for another combat ability.
My question (and it goes also to [MENTION=6681948]N'raac[/MENTION]) - which I've raised with my example upthread of the illusionist - is what do you count as a combat ability?

If Charm Person, Fog Cloud and Invisibility count as combat abilities in the hands of a wizard, then high CHA plus some class feature that exploits that, flash grenades and the ability to sneak and hide would all count as combat abilities for a rogue.

Upthread people have talke about a rogue who can trip rather than sneak attack. For me, that is not at all comparable to the illusionist spell-loadout I've mentioned. Tripping is basically useful only in a fracas - whereas Charm Person, or Fog Cloud, are primarily useful in social and/or exploration contexts, with their combat use an added extra. At least for my part, this is what I would be looking for from a rogue who traded out sneak attack for some other ability suite.

ThirdWizard

First Post
Who is suggesting that the Assassin would lose sneak attack? We're talking about alternate sub-classes, not changing extent sub-classes so that their abilities are in contradiction to their labels.

The thread has been really light on specifics like that. I don't think we're just talking about sub-classes, since some people have been (I think) talking about a more general approach where its part of character creation - choose Sneak Attack, or X, or Y, or Z kind of thing.

My question (and it goes also to @N'raac) - which I've raised with my example upthread of the illusionist - is what do you count as a combat ability?

If Charm Person, Fog Cloud and Invisibility count as combat abilities in the hands of a wizard, then high CHA plus some class feature that exploits that, flash grenades and the ability to sneak and hide would all count as combat abilities for a rogue.

Upthread people have talke about a rogue who can trip rather than sneak attack. For me, that is not at all comparable to the illusionist spell-loadout I've mentioned. Tripping is basically useful only in a fracas - whereas Charm Person, or Fog Cloud, are primarily useful in social and/or exploration contexts, with their combat use an added extra. At least for my part, this is what I would be looking for from a rogue who traded out sneak attack for some other ability suite.

A combat ability is something useful in combat that helps defeat the opponents. Charm Person is a great spell for this, you can basically completely take out one opponent for a while. Invisibility is more of a defensive spell, but still a good spell for a wizard to at least use in combat, mainly because they're so squishy. Fog Cloud is an amazing spell when to shut down enemy ranged attackers. So, I would definitely classify all those as combat abilities.

The problem comes down to the fact that rogues don't really have anything but Sneak Attack, and Sneak Attack is a pretty darn good ability. I guess the fact that its powerful is the main reason they don't have much else going on as far as offensive prowess is concerned. Without it, they're hitting just as well as a wizard without spells. Which is to say, not so hot. So a tradeoff from Sneak Attack would have to be really potent. This is in stark contrast to a wizard who can trade out a single spell for a non-combat or defensive spell and still be able to help in combat, and even if they pick a particularly bad spell list one day, they can rectify it again the next. A rogue who trades Sneak Attack for a non-combat ability at character creation has no such luxury.

So, no, you couldn't trade Sneak Attack for some extra hiding ability, since you couldn't do anything with that hiding since you gave up Sneak Attack. It would have to be big and flashy, because Sneak Attack is big and flashy.

sheadunne

Explorer
I don't think any of the classes should necessarily have to trade anything. Abilities should be created to be able to be used in multiple situations (or the 3 tiers WOTC likes to use). For instance (and this is just spit balling) sneak attack could be used in the three tiers equally, there wouldn't be a need to choose or not choose it.

Combat Tier: Sneak Attacking Attacking Enemies: Extra damage dice in certain circumstances
Social Tier: Sneak Attacking Verbally: Extra dice or abilities to surprise your opponent in a social context through the use of verbal wit or negotiation ability
Exploration Tier: Sneak Attacking Objects and Terrain: The ability to react to and disengage a trap just seconds before it goes off.

One thing I had wished 4e had done, was build the power system to be usefully in different situations as the norm. Each power having a combat and non-combat use built into it.

Until combat abilities get integrated with non-combat abilities, I think there won't ever be a good choice between abilities that do one or the other.

So no, I don't want to give up sneak attack, I want sneak attack to be more than a combat only ability. I want the skill associated with it (being able to surprise an opponent) to be useful for more than sticking the sharp pointy end into something.

N'raac

First Post
My question (and it goes also to @N'raac) - which I've raised with my example upthread of the illusionist - is what do you count as a combat ability?

I count Charm Person because it can remove an opponent from combat, so that class feature exploiting high CHA would have to have similar impact. For a "social rogue", I could see an ability that allows him to talk an opponent out of combat and into a social skills target (similar to the manner Hide in Plain Sight allows one to use Hide under direct observation). This would, for example, permit the Rogue to use Diplomacy, Bluff, etc. on a hostile target with the potential to end the combat (or at least that person's participation) and improve his attitude towards the Rogue. Practically, this would have to be at least as good as a Charm Person spell in that regard, and scale in some manner with level, to equate to Sneak Attack (but there could also be a series of such abilities, with new ones gained when Sneak Attack would have gained a bonus).

The replacement ability (or abilities) would have to be useful in combat to meet my "no trading combat for non-combat" requirement, and also be sufficiently valuable in combat to be a reasonable replacement for Sneak Attack. All of your suggestions could fit the former, making them "combat abilities". I would agree that "I'm sneaky", such as Hide in Plain Sight, would be a combat ability provided it could be used in combat. However, I also agree with ThirdWizard that, alone, it would not be sufficient to replace Sneak Attack.

Upthread people have talked about a rogue who can trip rather than sneak attack. For me, that is not at all comparable to the illusionist spell-loadout I've mentioned. Tripping is basically useful only in a fracas - whereas Charm Person, or Fog Cloud, are primarily useful in social and/or exploration contexts, with their combat use an added extra. At least for my part, this is what I would be looking for from a rogue who traded out sneak attack for some other ability suite.

In my games, Charm Person is of limited use in a social context. If the target makes the save, they are aware a spell was cast against them (source: http://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/21310/the-effects-of-saving-throws-on-mind-reading, referencing Rules Compendium). As well, if you make a save, you get a DC 25+Spell Level Spellcraft check to determine the spell which was cast (utility obviously dependent on the target's skills, 15+spell level allows any observer to identify the spell being cast, Detect Magic shows the target is under a spell (and Spellcraft can tell you the school), and a 20 + level check can identify a spell if you can see its effects ("my the King is suddenly very friendly to this stranger" seems like you can see its effects). Sense Motive can also discern a target is enchanted.

Most people will not be pleased to be targeted by such a spell, so Charm Person in a social setting is, at best, a serious risk.

A combat ability is something useful in combat that helps defeat the opponents. Charm Person is a great spell for this, you can basically completely take out one opponent for a while. Invisibility is more of a defensive spell, but still a good spell for a wizard to at least use in combat, mainly because they're so squishy. Fog Cloud is an amazing spell when to shut down enemy ranged attackers. So, I would definitely classify all those as combat abilities.

Agreed.

The problem comes down to the fact that rogues don't really have anything but Sneak Attack, and Sneak Attack is a pretty darn good ability. I guess the fact that its powerful is the main reason they don't have much else going on as far as offensive prowess is concerned. Without it, they're hitting just as well as a wizard without spells. Which is to say, not so hot. So a tradeoff from Sneak Attack would have to be really potent. This is in stark contrast to a wizard who can trade out a single spell for a non-combat or defensive spell and still be able to help in combat, and even if they pick a particularly bad spell list one day, they can rectify it again the next. A rogue who trades Sneak Attack for a non-combat ability at character creation has no such luxury.

This, to me, is not "is the replacement a combat ability" but "is the replacement a sufficiently powerful combat ability". +1 to hit and damage, or Hide in Plain Sight, would both be combat abilities. Neither would be sufficient to be a balanced trade off for Sneak Attack. The ability also needs to scale with level, as Sneak Attack scales with level, whether because it gets better, or because further abilities are added at higher levels.

N'raac

First Post
If Sheadunne's approach of abilities having both combat and non-combat uses were adopted, this would be an easy fix - whatever ability the rogue takes would have both combat and non-combat applications, so there is no way to hyperspecialize in one over the other.

pemerton

Legend
A combat ability is something useful in combat that helps defeat the opponents. Charm Person is a great spell for this, you can basically completely take out one opponent for a while.
I count Charm Person because it can remove an opponent from combat
Consider Charm Person as it appears in the current playtest:

The spell charms it target until the caster or a companion of the caster does anything harmful to it.

And a charmed creature cannot attack it charmer (and the charmer has advantage on social interaction with the charmed creature).​

Put these together, and until the caster or a companion harms the target of Charm Person, it cannot attack the caster and the caster has advantage on social interaction with it.

This does not take a creature out of a fight unless it is the only creature, or unless the caster can - via social interaction - persuades it to abandon its friends/allies. A rogue could have the ability to do these things without magic, say by bluffing a creature into surrendering.

Starfox

Hero
I suggested a multiple-trip ability as an alternative to sneak attack above. That was not really a tough-through alternative, just something on the top of my head. It is really quite hard to come up with a good alternative.

Taking a bigger view of Sneak Attack, I feel the motivation for this ability lies in the hit point mechanic. Rogues are to be back-alley men and should be able to do things like knock others unconscious with a sap. The hit point mechanic makes this impossible to do. Enter sneak attack, which (partially) counters the hit point mechanic and lets a high-level rogue have a similar chance of knocking out a high-level opponent that a low-level rogue has of knocking out a low-level opponent. That's the theory. It never worked out quite this generously. But maybe we can analyze this to see possible alternate rogue talents, other tasks that normal humans can do to each other but which are prevented by the level mechanic in DnD?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads