• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sneak Attack vs. Uncanny Dodge

ARandomGod

First Post
FEADIN said:
Yes, no sneak attack if you have uncanny dodge because you keep your dexterity bonuses.

This is actually a large part of the point of this ability. Note that if the (sneak attack attempting) rogue is four levels higher than the target rogue of barbarian with uncanny dodge, then the sneak attack does go through. (I'm almost positive that there are words to that effect anyhow. Today brain no work super goodly)

werk

First Post
ARandomGod said:
This is actually a large part of the point of this ability. Note that if the (sneak attack attempting) rogue is four levels higher than the target rogue of barbarian with uncanny dodge, then the sneak attack does go through. (I'm almost positive that there are words to that effect anyhow. Today brain no work super goodly)

That is with improved uncanny dodge, which helps in a flank. The whole point of uncanny dodge is to not be flat footed and avoid sneaks or other nasty surprises.

I would rely on the line in uncanny dodge that states she 'retains her Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if she is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker.' That is what sneak attack is, right? If it protects from invisible attackers, then it protects from visible ones.

I agree, 'would' really adds a lot of haze...they're good at that.

Goolpsy

First Post
Jarrod said:
Relevant snippets from the SRD:

... The rogue’s attack deals extra damage any time her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the rogue flanks her target ...

Well dexterity bonus or not means, Even though a char with 11 or less in Dex, hence no bonus to dex. Those Chars doesn't really lose any dex but they are still flat-footed/Sneak-attackAble

BUT

The Barbarian didn't lose his Dex to Ac AT ANY TIME.

If i remember correctly, the example u came up with, is mentioned in either sneak attack or uncanny dodge, with a "NO Sneak Attack" as an answer

ARandomGod

First Post
Jarrod said:
For the record, I agree with the majority, that the "would" refers to whether or not the target has a dex bonus to begin with. However, the rogue thinks differently.

Well, the rogue is/was wrong. But you can see why he misunderstood.

werk said:
I agree, 'would' really adds a lot of haze...they're good at that.

werk said:
That is with improved uncanny dodge, which helps in a flank. The whole point of uncanny dodge is to not be flat footed and avoid sneaks or other nasty surprises.

Ah. I knew that line was in there somewhere. And it makes some sense that I 'forgot' exactly where, so far I've never had a character get up to Improved Uncanny. I get Uncanny all the time, but Improved has so far been too much of an investment for my purposes.

Synthetik Fish

First Post
irdeggman said:
If the rogue had had invisibility cast on him his opponent would have been denied his Dex bonus too , but he didn't. . .

So an invisible rogue can't sneak attack a flat-footed barbarian? Hmmm, I think that if he's got a double "denies dex bonus" going for him, that a rogue Should be able to. IMHO.

Synthetik Fish said:
So an invisible rogue can't sneak attack a flat-footed barbarian? Hmmm, I think that if he's got a double "denies dex bonus" going for him, that a rogue Should be able to. IMHO.

Possibly good opinion, but not RAW.

Would you allow an invisible fighter to attack a barbarian at his flat-footed, denied-dex AC?

Nail

First Post
Jarrod said:
Would the barbarian be denied his dex bonus? Yes, he would, but he has Uncanny Dodge.
You've answered your own question, here.

Would the Bbn be denied his Dex bonus in your exmple? At 1st level, yes. At 2nd level, no.

Try a different route: Is there any time that a Bbn 2 would not retain his Dex bonus when being caught flat-footed?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads