• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sneak Attack with Magic.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Opponent fell for feint.

I tried to figure out a way to get Expert Tactician to allow a spell, but it's not coming to me.

Feint is... debatable. It depends on how your DM interprets the wording of the description - similar, I must admit, to using QttE. Both say they deny Dex bonus against "an attack". If it said "your next attack roll" like True Strike, it would be clearer. Ray of Frost has an attack roll, but does it count as "an attack"? I can picture a DM ruling either way.

I think a Chill Touch already in effect would work, in any case.

Expert Tactitian, however, is a red herring. It doesn't deny your opponent his Dex bonus... it simply functions against an opponent who is already denied his Dex bonus. And in some cases, your attack from ET is against the full AC: for example, if you Feint, the opponent is denied his Dex against your next attack. Not every attack that round, just one. When you go to make that attack, because your opponent is denied his Dex bonus, ET kicks in, and you get an extra attack... but since it's not the one you feinted for, he gets his Dex bonus against it.

Again, I'd let someone use a precast Chill Touch on an ET attack.

-Hyp.

Super_Troll

First Post
Thanks to kreynolds for pointing me in the right direction. I had not noticed this:

T & B pg. 79 sneak attack: "any weaponlike spell can be used to make a sneak attack. ranged spells are effective only at ranges of 30' or less, like any other ranged attack." ..."for example a 10th level rogue who makes a successful sneak attack w/ enervation bestows 1d4 neg. levels & deals 5d6 neg. energy dam."

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
According to the invisibility spell, yes.

Well, yes, but Invisibility uses its own special little definition of "attack".

I'm not sure that I'd let someone feint to deny their opponent his Dex against a Spiritual Weapon spell, for example, but Invisibility would consider it an attack made by the caster.

[frown] At least... hmm. I'm pretty sure casting SW would end invisibility, and I'm pretty sure redirecting SW would end invisibility... but what if you cast it, set it attacking one opponent, and then went invisible? Would the continuing attacks from the spell end your invisibility?

-Hyp.

Darklone

Similar to Summon Monster, I'd say no. The weapon uses your BAB, but otherwise it keeps fighting when you go down, right?

Remove ads