• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sneaky Sorcerer?

How important is perception to sneak/thievery?

I ask because tt turns out that the party ranger... who we thought was doing the sneaky-thievry thannng wasnt. We learned this in the middle of a major trap encounter.

Thankfully, my Sorceress has a high dex (go team lucky rolls) and the DM is letting me tweak her when we level (2 weeks from now) more then just 1 retraining. Thievery is in my background so I'm being hand waved a retrain in it.

For level 4 she's taking the bard dilettante feat to train perception.

And Im planning on retraining my level 2 feat into stealth training.

Perception: 9
Stealth: 12
Thievery 13 (with tools)

MwaO

Adventurer
Don't take stealth training. Pick up an MC feat that gives it to you. Monastic Disciple is an awesome MC feat - gives you stealth, access to ki focuses(Rain of Hammers +1 Ki Focus is a great one that you simply plan to use for its property), and Desert Wind gives a free 2+Cha damage once per encounter to an adjacent target that you hit. Monastic Disciple gives you a Dex-based encounter option that comes with a movement technique and a free skill too if you really need Perception.

Also, you shouldn't necessarily need Perception to be able to find/disarm traps. Have someone else with a Wisdom score in the party pick it up - then you don't need Monastic Disciple. And if no one is willing to do it, talk with the DM about either A) getting it for free or B) having the DM talk to the group about what the DM's expectations are and how one player shouldn't be the only person expected to do everything.

I think Im pretty happy with the bard MC. Story wise it fits pretty well.
And I do have a 14 in wisdom (well 13 at 3. But no reason for me not to upgrade it. Dm is cool with retraining skill points so when I hit level im bumping it and cha, then retraining the old one to cha.)

My stats are (with bonuses)

17 (lvl 4+1)
8(+2)
13 (lvl 4+1)
18+2

Feats are:

War Wizard's Expertise
Skill Training (Stealth)
Bardic Dil.

If I was to drop the perception for an MC with stealth (or retrain and grab an MC with thievery.)

Herobizkit

Adventurer
For party stealth checks, so long as at least half of the party passes, everyone passes.

Leave Stealth to the people who are designed to do it.

Or, take @MwaO 's suggestion. It's a good one. By being proficient in Ki focuses, anything you wield effectively becomes a magic weapon/focus. It doesn't help the sorcerer much, but it's still nifty.

MwaO

Adventurer
There's a reason not to upgrade Wisdom to 14. That when you hit 8th, your Charisma will not be 22. Is a +1 to Perception really worth losing a +1 to hit, damage, all Cha-skills. You're a Dex/Cha Sorcerer - you should always raise those two stats, no questions asked.

I understand story is important, but remember, you're talking about spending 2 of 3 feats, one for story, the other one to cover a party weakness rather than focus on your role, which is Striker. If your DM is the kind of DM who compensates for party strengths and weaknesses, that's not really a problem. But you've told us that your DM is not that kind of DM, because Stealth/Thievery is actually a problem. And story can be mechanics refluffed to match - you're not a Monk or Bard just because you took a multi class feat. You're a Monk or Bard because the mechanics roughly match what you want them to do and reflect the story you're telling. And 4e encourages you to do that.

In any case, if you're that locked onto Bard, I'd take Bardic Dilettante and Bard of All Trades - BoAT gives you +3 to all untrained skill checks.

Remove ads