Sniktch's Story Hour - City of the Spider Queen (Updated 04/25)

Sniktch

First Post
And I have to admit that the prospect of writing up basically a TPK also fueld my mental block. But there it is, finally. Some day my players and I may come back to these characters and this adventure, but at the moment we're having too much fun exploring the waters around Freeport and exploring our new found powers with M&M. I'm not going to promise anything as I have no idea if I'll be sitting down with a chance to write again anytime soon, but if I do get inspired and find a free moment, I might just start a thread to tell about some of our more recent adventures.

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Sniktch, thanks for telling the story of what happened on that final session. I can imagine that you weren't exactly inspired to write that, it makes fairly demoralising reading. I bet yourself and the players weren't exactly thrilled at that turn of events!

What was the DC of the save, and how badly did the players roll?

htetickrt

First Post
Man, the City of the Spider Queen is brutal, isn't it? I have been slowly running a group through it for about a year now, and after reading yours and others' story hours, I'm beginning to think that not even my group of survivors will make it. Whoa.

Anyway, it's a little late now, what with it being over, but I wanted to thank you for the story. I'd been following it for some time and have really enjoyed reading it. So, thanks!

Sniktch

First Post
Thanks for the kind words, all of you. Again, I'm just sorry it took me so long to get to it, but I guess that happens sometimes.

Tallarn, the banshee wail was a DC 22 Fort save IIRC. Definitely above 20. It was compounded by the fear save first, something like a DC 17 Will save that if failed gave a -2 on all subsequent saves, etc. Without that fear save Zooky and Higreld, at least, would have remained standing - they both passed the save by 1 before taking fear into account.

Artimas rolled a 1 for his save, as his player nearly always does on a save or die roll. I think Tierak rolled a 1 as well - I know there were 2 of them.

I think the near TPK may have demoralized me worst of all. Play actually went a little further than this as Welby and his 2 new friends tried to rescue Bruskin and Gnish and recover the bodies of the fallen, and I may write about that sometime, but my heart wasn't into the game anymore. And of course, any time the DM loses enthusiasm the game is going to suffer. I started running another game to recapture my spirit and we've just never gone back.

Bring on Freeport and bring on the guns! ;)

Dungannon

First Post
Ahh, it's nice to have the conclusion to this adventure in writing finally. And I look forward to reading about your M&M campaign. As soon as you can get around to writing it up, that is. :)

Sniktch

First Post
Artemis strolled down the Hall of the Dead for the second time, his failures in life far from his mind. He had returned to the bosom of his Lord and might now know peace in the quiet Gardens of the Dead.

He reached the great gate and stopped, examining it in minute detail, revelling in the exquisite relief carved into its surface. The gate was constructed entirely of bone and pain stakingly carved with images portraying the glory of death and the worship of Arawn.

Artemis studied the gate for hours, the pressure of time non-existant. He had all of eternity, after all. Finally, satisfied that he had taken it all in at last, he raised a hand and knocked loudly on the door, thrice.

BOOM BOOM BOOM

The noise resounded through the hall in which he stood. After a moment, it swung open slightly and a cadaverous face peeked out from the inside.

"Ah, there you are. We've been waiting, you know," the figure rasped.

"I did not realize there was any need for haste," the necromancer replied calmly. "Now let me pass so I can take my place by my Lord's side."

"You shall not pass, Artemis Sendant. Our Lord is not ready for this; you have yet a role to play. Return to the waking world, return to breath, flee the end, flee death. The greatest reward awaits success, eternal oblivion the reward for death.

"Look back the way you came, Artimas Sendant, for you have those who await you there. Look back."

The figure lifted a skeletal arm and extended one bony finger to point over the wizard's shoulder. Artemis turned...

...and gasped for air, coming awake suddenly on a cold stone slab. The cloying scent of incense hung thick in the air and a low chant echoed through the chamber, deep in the bowels of the city. He sat up slowly, stiffly, looking from left to right, finding himself surrounded by the black robed clergy of Arawn, and also...

"Arty!" cried Welby and ran forward, wrapping him in a fierce embrace.

"Yes, little one, I have returned," replied the mage, stroking the small bald head fondly. "Now come, take me to the others. We have much to do."

Sniktch says:

And it appears this game is making a comeback :cool: I've talked to all the old players, including a couple that now live out of state, and we are going to attempt to revive it in PbP format. So it looks like I will have more adventures to report soon as the companions re-enter the darkness below and make one final attempt to end the threat of the cult of Kiaransalee.

I've got a little fodder to start with as first Welby explains to Artemis how his body was recovered and safely returned to the surface, further negotiations with the archmage of Szith Morcane, and then a knock down slugfest as the party takes on the illithid prison known as the Spiral of Manzessine. Hopefully by the time I catch up with this the PbP will be in full swing and I'll have more to report :)

Nightingale 7

First Post
Glad to see your campaign return Snitchk.I was a long time lurker,and your Story Hour was the first I read in the Boards.I'm pretty happy to see it returned.Now that Artemis is returning to life did you consider letting him trade some levels of True Necro for Mystic Theurge.It seems that True Necro was a failed PrC,while MT is it's bigger,better sister.Assuming you have switched to 3.5 of course.

How exactly does Artimas' deity work, anyway? I recall reading that Arawn disapproved of intelligent undead, but if that's true, why does Artimas summon so damned many of them? I wonder how the Mask is going to end up playing a role in the future, assuming he didn't go off and try to kill Jack, Ike, and anyone else he once journied with.

Remove ads