Sniktch's Story Hour - City of the Spider Queen (Updated 04/25)

Sniktch

First Post
Welby hesitated, then dove to the side as Malobar lunged forward. The halfling rolled under the swipe, drawing his own blade and slicing the elf’s calf as he passed by. The wound was bloodless and began to heal immediately, but the barbarian did not have time to think about this as one of the dark elves moved in on his flank and he was forced to parry for his life.

Lassivarius recovered from the pain and shock of the sudden attack and kicked his leg out, catching Malobar in the back of the knees and sending him sprawling. Then Raak entered the room with a bellowed challenge and hurled himself towards the second dark elf. The drow answered his challenge with a wide grin, revealing his fangs, and lunged forward. The dwarf could not match the vampire’s speed with the blade and was pierced several times before he brought his warhammer up and caught the rapier on the massive flat head. There was a ringing smack and glittering shards of steel flew through the air – Raak followed through and caught the drow in the chest, crushing ribs and sending it staggering backwards. It glared up at him, still grinning, as the bones began to knit and its ribcage began to fill out again.

Meanwhile, Welby launched a furious offensive, driving his opponent back several paces. As the dark elf recovered his footing and raised his blade, the halfling stepped back – and vanished! Puzzled, the drow looked around, and spotted Lassivarius struggling with Malobar near the entrance. A snide sneer curled his lips as he moved in on the monk’s unprotected backside and raised his blade to strike… and stopped suddenly, staring down questioningly at a length of gray steel protruding from his gut. Welby twisted his sword and jerked it free, and an unholy scream escaped the vampire’s lips as it dissipated into smoke and flowed from the room.

At the same time, Raak crushed the skull of the other dark elf and forced it to discorporate. As the pair of vampires fled for their coffins, Malobar took a step back and held up his hands, “Enough! Stop fighting!”

Lassivarius paused, panting and bleeding from many shallow cuts, and snarled, “Prepare to join your friends, vampire.”

“But I’m free – they were controlling me, I had no choice but to fight. Now they are vanquished I am in control of myself again. We must hurry and destroy them in their coffins before they regain their strength, or else I will fall under their control once more.”

Lassivarius leaned back and let Malobar continue the narration:

“Of course, we reached the coffins and destroyed the pair, and I retained my free will. That was when we ran into Gnish and Bruskin, and the lunatic ghost chasing them. Raak did something to the Mask –“

“Just showed him the power of Arawn,” Raak interjected.

“Right, well – the ghost gave a mournful wail and disappeared, and I have not seen him again since. Gnish and Bruskin explained what had happened, and I went upstairs and retrieved the bodies of the fallen. The banshee, to her eternal frustration, was unable to harm me, and soon we were ready to carry the corpses out of that foul place.”

“But I was not ready to leave,” Bruskin said. “No, we had defeated Dorina T’sarran but she had escaped to her coffin, and I knew if we left then she would reform as if nothing had happened. We had to find her coffin and finish her off. A bit of exploration found it not far away…”

Gnish entered the chamber first and jumped, hurling his dagger at the seated figure of Dorina T’sarran in the middle of the room. The dagger passed right through her and clattered off the wall, and she did not react. “Illusion,” sniffed the svirfneblin as he went to retrieve his weapon.

The survivors fanned out around the room and searched the walls. Welby found a cluster of holes in one section, and soon a loose brick, which caused the section to slide inward when he pressed it. Inside was a beautiful, ornate sarcophagus with the likeness of the dark elf priestess carved into its surface, and opening the sarcophagus revealed the form of Dorina T’sarran. The vampiress had yet to recover from her earlier battle and was quickly dispatched. Searching the coffin revealed a pile of coins and jewelry, as well as two rolled up documents – a map to the dark elf city of Maerimydra and a letter.

Bruskin opened the letter and read aloud:

Daughter:

Our Dark Lady favors my efforts, and my research proceeds well. Within five tendays, perhaps six, all will be ready for the Day of Great Vengeance. The Spider Queen is dead; we have already brought low the Spider-kissers and seized our rightful place in the realms of the dark. Now the Day draws near when we shall avenge ourselves on the day-blasted lands, too, and achieve the ultimate triumph denied us long ago.

While I prepare my Great Revenance, it falls to you to make ready the way. Harry the surface-dwellers, hunt them in the woods and fields, and take the measure of their strength. Do not concern yourself with putting them on their guard; our Lady desires their blood, their fear, and their dreadful anticipation of our ultimate act of revenge. With each slaying we grow in her favor and sow the seeds of our coming victory.

If they come against you in Szith Morcane in irresistible strength, slay as many as you can. Withdraw from the fight if you must, and bring Zedarr with you, but as for the rest - they are to stand and die for the glory of the White Banshee. The battle for Szith Morcane will come to nothing when our Great Revenance comes to pass. If anything, our final vengeance will be made even sweeter by each fleeting, false hope our enemies entertain before it falls upon them.

Work great slaughter for our Lady's dark glory, my daughter. Soon I will come to you from Maerimydra with such dark and terrible might that all the world will tremble before us.

Mother

Welby exchanged uneasy glances with Bruskin and Malobar. They had thought their task would be completed with the fall of Szith Morcane, but it was clear that this was only the beginning.

Next: Second meeting with the Archmage of Szith Morcane

shilsen

Adventurer
Nice, but I've got to say you're way too nice on your PCs to house rule that vampire control aspect (Malobar becoming free-willed just because the controllers were forced into gaseous form) the way you did. No killer DM cookie :)

Last edited:

Sniktch

First Post
I know; sometimes my killer instinct lapses and I am way too nice to the PCs. I'm so ashamed :eek:

But after that awful banshee wail save, I admit I was eager to send a little bit of love the PCs way. I was also eager to move on with the adventure and didn't want to spend a whole session just getting the party back together. I promise to make up for it in the future and earn that cookie back (and honestly, the way Malobar has been acting lately, I'm not sure his return was really a blessing ;)).

shilsen

Adventurer
Sniktch said:
I know; sometimes my killer instinct lapses and I am way too nice to the PCs. I'm so ashamed :eek:

But after that awful banshee wail save, I admit I was eager to send a little bit of love the PCs way. I was also eager to move on with the adventure and didn't want to spend a whole session just getting the party back together. I promise to make up for it in the future and earn that cookie back (and honestly, the way Malobar has been acting lately, I'm not sure his return was really a blessing ;)).
Ah well, I'm sure you can make them suffer later :) Looking forward to the next update.

Maldur

First Post
Sniktch said:

Actually his return might be very........:D

Sniktch

First Post
They exited the tunnel to the giant web again and found themselves instantly surrounded by the remaining forces of the city, led by none other than Solom Ned'razak, the Archmage of Szith Morcane.

"Ah, the triumphant heroes return," he sneered. "And looking a bit worse for wear, I might add."

"Yeah, dark elf - we did your dirty work. The city is yours. Now fulfill your half of the bargain," Gnish growled.

"And leave such dangerous potential opponents alive? My dear gnome, why would I ever want to do that? Give me one good reason to let you continue drawing breath."

Bruskin spoke, hating each word as he said it. He yearned to slay drow - this drow, all drow - not bargain and deal with them. But they had little chance of surviving this fight, and he could do more good by staying alive. "My Lord, might I have a word?" He flapped closer, producing the scroll from the vampire's coffin. "I believe if you read this, it will give you a very good reason to allow us to continue on our way. Even, if I might dare suggest it, to continue to support us."

The wizard took the sheaf of vellum and studied it silently. His dark skin seemed to pale as perused it, and when he at last glanced up, he appeared shaken. "Ah, yes, a very good reason, a very good reason indeed. Very well; our alliance continues a trifle longer, until the threat of Maerimydra be laid rest.

"If the Great Revenance comes to pass, we are all lost. You must move with desparate haste."

The fey'ri nodded, calculating, "Then send us back to Brian's Stone, that we might recover our allies. And if possible, provide means for our return."

The archmage scowled at him. A tense pause followed, then Solom broke the silence, "I've had an idea. I will teleport you back to your surface city so you may recover your strength. I'm certain you can find your way back here again."

Bruskin leaned back and placed his hands behind his head, smiling smugly. "And here we are," he concluded.

They departed the following day, once the newly risen had a chance to recover their strength. They were quiet, grim, determined to succeed. They spoke little - Higreld returned them quickly to Szith Morcane, and after consulting the map they'd found, they set out, exiting the city through the marketplace. They stopped briefly to trade with some passing duergar merchants, but then they were moving into the tunnels beyond the boundaries of Szith Morcane, beyond the site of so much bloodshed and pain and into the wild underdark.

The first two days were largely uneventful. They beheld marvels as they travelled - glittering caverns of crystal, silent dripping caverns decorated with sculptures of mineral and rock crafted by the slow course of time, strange gardens of fungus - but most of the journey consisted of long hours spent trudging through endless and ever-winding passages. It was impossible to discern day from night, so when they were tired Artimas would erect a secure shelter and all save Malobar would rest within. The necromancer had developed an intense dislike of the rogue since his undeath and forbid anyone to invite him inside. Young vampires were too wild and chaotic, and anyway the mage was generally opposed to any free-willed undead who did not follow the doctrines of Arawn. When they camped the elf would take a chair out of his coffin and sit in front of the shelter, keeping a lonely vigil while his companions slept or studied inside.

This is how the stranger found him on their second 'night'. Malobar looked up in surprise as the dark figure separated from the shadows and approached. At first glance the traveller appeared to be a dark elf, but as the rogue stared closer obvious differences began to stand out. The man had hands and feet ending in sharp talons and was covered in a mesh of fine black scales. Two great draconian wings were folded behind his back. Malobar leapt from the chair and drew his blade, but the stranger only regarded him with cold reptilian eyes. Then he smiled a most disturbing crocodile smile and spoke.

"Stay your hand, elf, I have no wish to fight you. If I had you would know it already. I am merely a wanderer seeking news of the road ahead. Perhaps if you have a tale that might interest me I could repay you in kind."

Malobar stopped, unnerved by the man's cool confidence. "Who are you and what do you want?" he called out.

"I am Sshumath Daerindra, a simple traveller. And I have already told you what I seek: information."

The stranger seemed sincere and the rogue allowed himself to relax a little, sitting back down. Sshumath strode over to join him, and Malobar regaled him with what he knew of their attack on Szith Morcane and the current status of the city. The half-dragon listened attentively and nodded thoughtfully as the vampire finished his tale.

"And now you head to Maerimydra to take the fight to the Cult of the Pale Lady's doorstep. I have recently passed by the city and can give you some idea of what to expect.

"Maerimydra is a city at war right now; at war with itself and at war with outside forces. The followers of Kiaransalee were in control, but their grasp on the city was tenuous at best. They are opposed by those of the populace with the bravery to fight, and they are also besieged by the followers of Kurgoth Hellspawn, a great fire giant conqueror. I find it quite likely that you will all die there, but perhaps if you are intelligent you will find a way to take advantage of the situation."

Sshumath thanked Malobar for his tale and departed into the dark, and in the morning the vampire told his companions of the strange traveller and imparted what he'd learned. As they broke camp they heard a rumbling in the distance, and the tunnel began to shake, dust and pebbles showering the gathered companions. As the trembling subsided Zooky knelt down as if listening to the stone.

"Earthquake," she said after several moments. "It is likely we will find the path ahead damaged or blocked."

The deep gnomes words proved prophetic several hours later, as Welby, scouting ahead, came upon a great cave-in that made the tunnel impassable. The tunnel was not empty, however, and the halfling hunkered down in the shadows, examing the scene. The denizens of the underdark had gathered in force and labored hard to clear the passage of rubble - drow, hobgoblins, and duergar all joined together at the task. Two figures monitored their progress - tall, thin figures with bulbous heads. All of the assembled creatures worked without speaking, creating an eerie silence broken only by the sounds of pick and shovel.

Welby crept back to the party and informed them what lay ahead, and Higreld visibly paled as the barbarian described the silent foremen. "Illithids," he gasped. "Preserve Old Ones us!" The goblin tremulously described the race of mind flayers and what he knew of their powers to his companions.

"Fah, Loathegrot, we need not fear them," Artimas reasoned. "It is they who will learn to fear the power of Arawn! Listen; here is what we should do..."

The necromancer's plan worked flawlessly. Malbar dispersed into gaseous form as Welby crept into position, and the pair of rogues took the mind flayers completely by surprise. The halfling fired a poisoned arrow at one one illithid as the vampire coalesced behind another and stabbed it through the back. Their tentacles waved in surprise and they both brought the force of their wills to bear upon the elf, blasting him with waves of psychic energy. However, their powers proved useless against the undead; the vampire continued to hack with his sword, dismembering one foe as the poison took hold in the other's system and it fell powerless to the rocky floor. A pair of black shapes emerged from the floor nearby and fell upon the helpless creature, draining it of life energy in seconds. As the rest of the companions came into view they beheld dozens of slaves slowly breaking out of mind control, shaking their heads and gazing about in confusion.

"Now," said Artimas, "If we are going to fight mind flayers we will need an army of our own. And what better way than to use their own slaves against them?" He reached into his robes and brought forth a handful of rotting burial shrouds, reciting a strange litany as he cast them forward. The aged rags disintegrated and several long, black shadows were called forth. Artimas held forth the symbol of Arawn imperiously and commanded the summoned undead to feed. As the assembled slaves broke free of their befuddlement they began to realize that they had not been rescued but damned. The caverns began to echo with screams of terror and panic as the encroaching darkness closed in and the mind flayers' former slaves began to feel the freezing claws of undeath..

Next: The Spiral of Manzessine

Sniktch

First Post
I posted an updated Rogues Gallery with the latest character sheets here on ENWorld now. I also added some things like characters from my M&M games. I'll also be starting a Villains thread soon to put in customized bad guys from CotSQ, M&M super-villains, and the like.

In other news, it looks like I'm taking a break from DMing for awhile - Lord knows its about time for one. CotSQ has moved to PbP, my M&M game is currently in a crossover with another PbP I run and is being taken care of online, and I'm just going to put my Freeport campaign on hold for a little while. Hopefully this will mean more time for writing SH updates as I won't be spending as much on developing and preparing the next session. Right now I believe CotSQ is 2 to 3 updates behind and I have a long way still to go on the Prelude SH and M&M SH...

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Sniktch - firstly, great updates! Very interesting to see how this rag-tag band of strange types have come together.

Secondly - if you do start any new M&M threads, would you post the links here so that those who read your SH's have an easy way to follow them?

Remove ads