• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

sniper shot spell question

lgburton

First Post
quick question:

does the spell "sniper shot" from CAdv increase the range on an Order of the Bow Initiate's (CW) ranged prescision attack?

As written?

No. The spell only allows you to break the 30' limit on ranged sneak attacks. Ranged Precision isn't a sneak attack, and therefore isn't affected by the spell.

lgburton

First Post
sure... sorry bout the delay, was very busy.

Complete Warrior said:
Ranged Prescision: As a standard action, an initiate may make a single precisely aimed attack with a ranged weapon, dealing an extra 1d8 points of damage if the attack hits. when making a ranged precision attack, an initiate must be within 30 feet of his target. an initiate's ranged precision attack only works against living creatures with discernable anatomies. any creature that is immune to critical hits (including undead, constructs, oozes, plants, and incorporeal creatures) is not vulnerable to a ranged precision attack, and any item or ability that protects a creature from critical hits (such as armor with the fortification special ability) also protects a creature from the extra damage. unlike with a rogue's sneak attack, the initiate's target does not have to be flat-footed or denied its Desterity bonus, but if it is, the initate's extra precision damage stacks with sneak attack damage. treat the initates ranged precision attack as a sneak attack in all other ways.

for a good measure, i'll throw in the relavent text from sniper shot while i'm at it.

Complete Adventurer said:
Your next single ranged attack (if it is made before the start of your next turn) can be a sneak attack regardless of the distance between you and your target. This spell doesn't grant you the ability to make a sneak attack if you don't already have that ability.

LokiDR

First Post
As written, no. The Ranged Prescision attack is a special standard action, not a sneak attack. Sniper shot works only on sneak attacks. I realize they are very similar, but note that Ranged Prescision works reguardless of being flat footed and mentions its own 30' limit, not 'the same ranged restrictions as sneak attack'.

For balance, I don't think its much of a problem. How many high sneak attack order of bow initiates are going to have this spell cast on them?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
LokiDR said:
As written, no. The Ranged Prescision attack is a special standard action, not a sneak attack. Sniper shot works only on sneak attacks. I realize they are very similar, but note that Ranged Prescision works reguardless of being flat footed and mentions its own 30' limit, not 'the same ranged restrictions as sneak attack'.

"Unlike with a rogue's sneak attack, the initiate's target does not have to be flat-footed or denied its Dexterity bonus, but if it is, the initiate's extra precision damage stacks with sneak attack damage. Treat the initiate's ranged precision attack as a sneak attack in all other ways."

So, apart from the need to check if the target is denied Dex, it is treated like a sneak attack.

With Sniper Shot, your next ranged attack can be a sneak attack regardless of distance.

Your Ranged Precision is treated like a sneak attack; if you can sneak attack at 100 feet, and you're treating the RP attack as a sneak attack, can't you RP attack at 100 feet?

-Hyp.

ARandomGod

First Post
LokiDR said:

For balance, I don't think its much of a problem. How many high sneak attack order of bow initiates are going to have this spell cast on them?

Well, none... I think it's a "target-self" spell. I could be wrong there (Go look it up!)

Remove ads