D&D 5E Snow-Sweeping/Clearing Cantrip

rgoodbb

Adventurer
A 1st level druid for RotFM starting in a snow-sweeping job, keeping the paths clear either between ten-towns or within one of them.

Which one of the elemental cantrips seems the most appropriate to accomplish this to you?

Mold Earth (would snow count)

Shape Water?

Control Flames (+ fire source)

Gust??

Try produce flame/create bonfire to melt the snow, then shape water to animate the liquid water to a spot off the path.

Bonus points for using the "simple shape" plus "freeze" option to make it something useful, like a hitching post. (The freeze will "melt" in an hour except its below freezing so it shouldn't.)

Keep in mind, snow is less dense than water. Clear a 100ft long, 10ft wide path with 1ft deep fluffy snow (1,000 cf) and you only have 100cf of water (which is smaller than a 125cf 5' cube) so you won't have as much ice as you do snow.

"Fluffy" snow is 1/10th as dense as water, "packed" snow is about 1/5 as dense, and wet/icy snow is 3/4 as dense. Ice is 9/10th as dense as water (which is why it floats).

Peter BOSCO'S

Adventurer
Snow is insulation and cover from predators for all the little animals who scurry around under it. If you move it away they will freeze more and get eaten more. I think a Druid is going to be the last caster who should meddle with nature like this. Getting rid of snow for human convenience is more like what a Wizard would do.

Last edited:

Vaalingrade

Legend
Snow is insulation and cover from predators for all the little animals who scurry around under it. If you move it away they will freeze more and get eaten more. I think a Druid is going to be the last caster who should mettle with nature like this. Getting rid of snow for human convenience is more like what a Wizard would do.
If you move it off paths, they will be stomped by people less!

Stormonu

Legend
Out of curiosity, using which benefit?:
  • You instantaneously clean or soil an object no larger than 1 cubic foot.
  • You chill, warm, or flavor up to 1 cubic foot of nonliving material for 1 hour.
I am guessing the warming benefit?
I was thinking clean for prestidigitation (essentially sweeping it away or removing it as you would a dirty spot), though I could see warming the snow to melt it away working if the air temperature isn't Rime of the Frostmaiden levels of cold.

aco175

Legend
Out of curiosity, using which benefit?:
  • You instantaneously clean or soil an object no larger than 1 cubic foot.
  • You chill, warm, or flavor up to 1 cubic foot of nonliving material for 1 hour.
I am guessing the warming benefit?
I was thinking that Druidcraft had something but that spell looks a bit lame in 5e. I was still picturing the bramble spirit with a broom or something like Mickey and the mops.

I can see prestidigitation doing a broom sweeping off the walkway for a couple inches of snow or warming the cobbles to melt it. might take a while to warm 1 square foot, then the next. Depends on how warm things get and depending on how long to cool off, you could melt the walkway in 10-15 minutes.

A shovel might be just as easy. I had a friend make a plow for his radio-controlled truck so he could plow his driveway from his living room. It was like a 2ft truck with a 6 inch plow that seemed to do a decent job.

Remove ads