• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Snow White and the Huntsman (spoilers)

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Plus, thinking of a Chekovs gun moment
why have the huntsman tell her specifically how to stab someone in the heart, with all the details, and then not use it?

I believe that's exactly the move she used on Ravenna at the end. It may not have been staged well to see clearly, but I am fairly sure that's how she killed her. And with the dagger the huntsman gave her, to boot.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I believe that's exactly the move she used on Ravenna at the end. It may not have been staged well to see clearly, but I am fairly sure that's how she killed her. And with the dagger the huntsman gave her, to boot.

I thought that was where she should have done it, but ffor some reason they chickened out of 'keep the dagger there until you see the soul leave their eyes'. A potentially powerful moment botched IMO.

Cheers

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
I thought that was where she should have done it, but ffor some reason they chickened out of 'keep the dagger there until you see the soul leave their eyes'. A potentially powerful moment botched IMO.

Cheers

It might be they felt it was a more powerful moment for Snow White to pull the dagger out, follow the Queen to where she collapsed under the mirror, and shed a tear of pity as the Queen expired knowing that she wasn't simply hated despite her many evil deeds. It showed compassion, something the kingdom would need going forward if it was to rebuild and be governed more in line with how Snow White's father once did.

Krug

Newshound
It was all right, but they should have gone all out derivative. And Snow White was the least interesting character in the movie. Even the dwarves had more depth than her.

Banshee16

First Post

Cheers

I thought they got this spot on. When the Huntsman showed her how to kill she flat out told him she couldn't do it.....couldn't stare them in te eyes until she saw their soul.

Earlier in the movie whe she was talking to William she said that even though the Queen wanted to kill her she just felt sorrow for her.

It was fairly clear that Snow White's beauty wasn't simply physical but also the innocence of her soul. Killing would take away from that.

Banshee

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
That might have worked as an idea if she hadn't actually, yknow, killed the queen anyway.

Naw, the Queen had to die and she knew it. However, that she took no satisfaction from it was the point to that death scene, I believe. And, perhaps, that despite her own reservations, she would do what needed to be done for the sake of the kingdom.

Stumblewyk

Adventurer
Finally got around to seeing it with my wife. I wanted to like it - it was a dark fairy tale/fantasy story, on screen, that wasn't LotR. It was another property that had the chance to expand the fantasy genre on the big screen with a large budget and...and... yeah, I'm a genre fan, and I thought this might just be another chance to expand the genre's acceptance.

It's a crying shame Kristen Stewart was involved. Like mentioned above, there's no way, in any sane world, that Stewart is more "fair" than Charlize Theron. Additionally, as the "star" of the film, Stewart is just a weak, weak actress. She'd have trouble holding her own in a community theater troupe. It's obvious to me that she's only a star because of Twilight (shudder), and that outside the scope of a massively popular licensed property, she's nothing. There were times that my wife (a somewhat-Twilight fan) and I looked at each other and just quietly laughed together as Stewart looked wistfully at the camera and "emoted" by letting her slack-jaw gape open.

The dark forest was good-to-great. Ravenna was convincing evil and villainous, the Huntsman was...well...axe-bearing? I guess? The dwarves were fun and cool. The fairies and White Stag were interesting but ultimately underused.

I got that Snow White was special - nature, and the earth itself favored her: the birds led her to nail, to the cistern, and to the horse, who then took her to the dark forest, where she could escape the Queen's forces. The White Stag bowed to her, signifying that she was the Chosen One to restore nature's bounty to the realm. I get it. But all of that was completely under-utilized. When Snow White and the Duke's forces rode on the castle, she should have had the forces of the fey assisting them - trolls, pixies, hell, even the trees themselves assaulting the castle walls.

I went in wanting to like it. I left ultimately displeased. 3/10. Maybe 5/10 if I can pretend that someone other than Kristen Stewart was playing Snow White.

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
That might have worked as an idea if she hadn't actually, yknow, killed the queen anyway.

I dont understand this statement. You're speaking as if she had a choice in the matter. The Queen was kicking the crap out of her and killing Snow White's men in the other room with her shard golems(?). The Queen was about to deliver the finishing blow to Snow White and she's supposed to what? Not kill her to save her own life?

I think the fact that Snow White didnt really want to kill her and took no enjoyment out of it is consistent with her comment to the Huntsman earlier in the film when he shows her how to use the dagger.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
I think it is an important message in the film that the Queen is physically more attwctive than Snow White but that Snow White was more beautiful overall because of her compassion. That they couldn't support that same message while casting someone who could act was a shame. One could quibble that the word "fair" is in use but then one would also have the multiple meanings of that word to debate.

Last edited:

Remove ads