• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So, about those Man of Steel reviews...

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
That doesn't exactly answer the question! I'm afraid I'm not very familiar with movie schedules in Asia!

Ahhh, OK.

Firstly, we get the movie early to "stop" piracy (that's the theory). I watched it at our local cinema on Wednesday while most of the rest of the world waited until Friday or later.

Secondly, the pirate copies hit the street by the weekend. The clear pirate copies take one to two weeks after that. Whether you are in law-abiding Singapore or lawless Mindanao in the Philippines (I lived in Singapore for 11+ years and now Mindanao for 2 years) this is simply how it works.

I would prefer to watch it again in the cinema but there are problems with the sound and also power failures (and rats) so I'm going to grab the DVD from a street vendor instead.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Secondly, the pirate copies hit the street by the weekend. The clear pirate copies take one to two weeks after that. Whether you are in law-abiding Singapore or lawless Mindanao in the Philippines (I lived in Singapore for 11+ years and now Mindanao for 2 years) this is simply how it works.

Same as every other major city on the planet then! Plus, like, the whole, internet. I don't think being in Asia is a factor there. Piracy isn't exactly uncommon.

I thought you meant the real DVD got released early.

MarkB

Legend
Morrus -- tell me how to make the button that hides spoilers in a post and I'll post it.

Tip: To see how a piece of post formatting works, find a post that contains it and click Reply With Quote - that'll let you look at the formatting in its raw form in the quoted text.

[sblock]Try it on this one.[/sblock]

Everett

First Post
[sblock]Near the end of Kal's final battle with Zod, they crash into an office building's interior and Earth's atmospherics begin once more painfully affecting Zod. As he tries to clear his head, he gets angry, and in that moment he realizes that he can do what Kal-El can do -- pour the anger out through his eyes, which then leads directly to that oh-so-controversial finale, where Kal sees plainly that he has no choice but to kill Zod or let more humans die. As the first Kansas flashback implies, channeling anger is also how Kal/Clark learned to do it.

That finale has come in for criticism as well, but I haven't seen anyone explain what they would have rather seen Superman do *in that situation*, if not kill Zod. Superman doesn't know the Vulcan nerve pinch; he doesn't have arsenals of high-tech like Batman.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
[sblock]Near the end of Kal's final battle with Zod, they crash into an office building's interior and Earth's atmospherics begin once more painfully affecting Zod. As he tries to clear his head, he gets angry, and in that moment he realizes that he can do what Kal-El can do -- pour the anger out through his eyes, which then leads directly to that oh-so-controversial finale, where Kal sees plainly that he has no choice but to kill Zod or let more humans die. As the first Kansas flashback implies, channeling anger is also how Kal/Clark learned to do it.[/sblock]

Oh, that. Yes, I recall that. It doesn't explain why they have heat vision.

[sblock]That finale has come in for criticism as well, but I haven't seen anyone explain what they would have rather seen Superman do *in that situation*, if not kill Zod. Superman doesn't know the Vulcan nerve pinch; he doesn't have arsenals of high-tech like Batman.[/sblock]

Mainly by people who have clearly forgotten the end of Superman II where he casually executed a powerless Zod and showed no remorse whatsoever.

[video=youtube;jUORL-bvwA0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUORL-bvwA0[/video]

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Yes, an explanation would be something like...Kryptonians could naturally see into the infrared, and had evolved organs in the ocular system to store and project infrared radiation to see in otherwise absolute darkness. Their version of echolocation, as it were.

Then, upon hitting Earth, those organs are just as supercharged as their muscles, etc.

MarkB

Legend
Mainly by people who have clearly forgotten the end of Superman II where he casually executed a powerless Zod and showed no remorse whatsoever.

To be fair, those were classic Disney Villain Deaths, to the extent that, as a youngster, I did wonder whether the villains were, in fact killed, or if the Fortress was keeping them literally on ice somewhere in its depths.

Remove ads