• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E so... any word on PDFs yet?

darjr

I crit!
I believe designers and dragons has said very similar things when it came to the switch of ddi tools to online only.

Evenglare

Adventurer
I really hope that wizards isn't holding off because of piracy, if so I need to go find them and tell them to get out from under that rock they have been living in. That myth has been debunked a long time ago if they choose a reasonable price for them. My references? Steam, Good Old Games, iTunes, Pathfinder, Netflix etc etc. Yes PDFs will always be pirated, right now it's the only way you can acquire them, and those who want to will. Might as well at least give us an OPTION to pay. Right now it's an annoyance at best waiting a week for someone to scan the books. Not that I pirate or anything....

Icon_Charlie

First Post
I really hope that wizards isn't holding off because of piracy, if so I need to go find them and tell them to get out from under that rock they have been living in. That myth has been debunked a long time ago if they choose a reasonable price for them. My references? Steam, Good Old Games, iTunes, Pathfinder, Netflix etc etc. Yes PDFs will always be pirated, right now it's the only way you can acquire them, and those who want to will. Might as well at least give us an OPTION to pay. Right now it's an annoyance at best waiting a week for someone to scan the books. Not that I pirate or anything....

Unfortunately, this is about revenue streamlining. In simple terms it is to make as much money as possible within their "quarterly" quota's before said product goes into decline.

Personally all they have to is for them to Apple and distribute there products through the i (everything) media site that they have,

I know of a game company that only uses Apple for that explicit purpose.

So again this is all about squeezing every amount of revenue out of said product.

Not about piracy.

Evenglare

Adventurer
Unfortunately, this is about revenue streamlining. In simple terms it is to make as much money as possible within their "quarterly" quota's before said product goes into decline.

Personally all they have to is for them to Apple and distribute there products through the i (everything) media site that they have,

I know of a game company that only uses Apple for that explicit purpose.

So again this is all about squeezing every amount of revenue out of said product.

Not about piracy.

I'm not saying you are wrong and I admit I have very little knowledge of corporate business but perhaps you could explain a bit more indepth about this revenue streamlining? I can't possibly see any way that releasing a PDF would do anything but help their money intake.

Icon_Charlie

First Post
I'm not saying you are wrong and I admit I have very little knowledge of corporate business but perhaps you could explain a bit more indepth about this revenue streamlining? I can't possibly see any way that releasing a PDF would do anything but help their money intake.

Oh I agree with you. But that is not the way they think.

I believe in using any sort of media to promote your works. As you have noted with PathFinder. They don't seem to be hurting because of selling PDF's.

darjr

I crit!
I think it's because someone at WotC or someone who can apply pressure to WotC thinks that PDFs will hurt book sales. Regardless of how much money it would make them.

My guess is Morris has it correct, it's about book sales.

The stores are holding things up, sorta, kinda. Or WotC doesn't want to seem to be stepping on their toes. I think most things WotC sells in stores that could be a viable PDF isn't. The 3.5 core books, the AD&D modules collected in hardcover, etc...

Paraxis

Explorer
Is there a game store lobby? Maybe the game stores or the distributors like Diamond put pressure on other WoTC product purchases if digital copies of D&D core books are made available? Something like "PDF sales hurt our brick and mortar sales, if you do this we will not purchase as many M:TG cards from you.", I mean that makes no sense to me at all, because I imagine WoTC can sell their products through multiple avenues.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Is there a game store lobby? Maybe the game stores or the distributors like Diamond put pressure on other WoTC product purchases if digital copies of D&D core books are made available?

If there is such a thing, I would be surprised if they cared about D&D books over the Cash Cow that M:tG is.

Dragonsbane

Proud Grognard
Bizarre. I have all 3 core books, my pleasure to pay for them. There are torrents online already of all 3 books, in perfect color with the text copy/pasteable. Seems like a silly strategy, you can't really stop piracy anyhow. A shame they won't put out PDFs. Although I won't download the books, I am looking into OCR programs so I can scan/use parts for myself as a DM.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads