• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So Ends Civilization(Recruiting) [Storyteller]

B_P

First Post
Meet Julian Penrose, a 39 year old high school woodworking teacher who can build and repair almost anything.

[sblock]Julian grew up in California, and was frequently pushed around in high school for being overweight. His studies suffered greatly as a result of this bullying. He took up jogging and lifting weights to deter the bullies, but was still on the verge of falling into a life of drugs and depression. His father, trying to keep Julian from turning to drugs and alcohol to deal with his problems, let Julian stay one summer with an uncle who loved woodworking. That summer, Julian finally had found something he loved in woodworking and tinkering.

He later became a high school teacher, where he was able to work with his two great loves in life: woodworking and troubled children. On weekends he volunteers as a counselor for troubled teens, teens who have similar problems that he once had, where he introduces them to various hands on skills such as construction.
[/sblock]

Attributes:
Julian to this day tries to mantain his weight through jogging and light weight-lifting, reflected in high strength and stamina.
He is fairly intelligent, but has great resolve which shows in his patience fixing things and perfecting his various crafts.
Socially, Julian isn't very outgoing, a result of his troubled boyhood. However, he is able to keep his composure in stressful situations, which was helpful in deterring bullies and is now useful in dealing with troubled teens.
[sblock]Intelligence (2)
Wits (2)
Resolve (3)

Strength (3)
Dexterity (2)
Stamina (3)

Presence (2)
Manipulation (1)
Composure (3)
[/sblock]

Skills:
Notably -
Crafts (4). Exceptional at crafts, he can build or fix almost anything given even meager supplies.
Athletics (4). As an avid runner, he is in excellent shape.
Stealth (3). Julian can blend in well, a technique he learned in his boyhood to avoid trouble.
[sblock]Academics (1)
Crafts (4)
Science (2)

Athletics (4)
Brawl (2)
Larceny (2)
Stealth (3)

Empathy (2)
Persuasion (1)
Streetwise (1)
[/sblock]

Skill Specialties:
[sblock]Crafts - Repair Item. Again, Julian has an uncanny ability to repair items after a few minutes of studying.
Athletics - Foot Chase. He loves running, and can keep up with almost anybody on foot.
Empathy - Identify Motives. A skill he honed while working with distressed teens.
[/sblock]

Derived Statistics:
[sblock]Health = 8
Will Power = 6
Size = 5
Defense = 2
Initiative Mod = 5
Speed = 12 (Includes +2 from 'Fleet of Foot' skill, below)
[/sblock]

Merits:
[sblock]Danger Sense (2). Frequently ambushed during high school during breaks, Julian began to recognize signs of danger.
Brawling Dodge (1). Something learned in his childhood.
Fleet of Foot (2). His speed is a consequence of his running for the past 20 years.
Iron Stamina (1). Stamina gained with long distance running.
Natural Immunity (1).
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Agamon

Adventurer
My entry: Darren Harver, 36-year-old retired St. Louis Cardinals 2nd baseman.
[sblock]Darren Harver grew up in northern California, the son of a mechanic (father Kenneth) and dentist (mother Gail). He led a mostly uninteresting childhood. Well, aside from his uncanny ability to hit a ball with a stick. Drafted by the Mets, he was traded early in his MLB career to the Cards, where he starred at second base for 15 years.

Darren retired last season due to waning production. He could certainly still play, but not to the level he was used to, and decided to end his career while still near top form. He now lives very comfortably, spending time with his family: wife Jody, and his kids, 11-year old daughter Cindy and 7-year-old son Hunter.[/sblock]

Darren is still very physically fit. He was an all-around good player: big enough to hit the ball far, agile enough to hit it well, and fast enough run the bases and play well defensively.
Darren played a fairly big role in leading the team in the clubhouse, as well, eventually developing into a good leader.
His talent at baseball left academics to the back seat. Darren was never very good in school, and he went straight from high school to professional baseball.
[sblock]Intelligence 2
Wits 2
Resolve 2

Strength 3
Dexterity 3
Stamina 2

Presence 2
Manipulation 2
Composure 3[/sblock]

Skills:
Darren is an athlete, first and foremost. His second love has always been the great outdoors, though. As a child, his family took many vacations to parks across the western U.S. and as an adult he has continued to spend off-seasons 'roughing it'.
[sblock]Crafts 2
Investigation 1
Medicine 1

Athletics 5
Survival 3
Weaponry 2

Expression 3
Intimidation 1
Persuasion 1
Socialize 2[/sblock]

Skill Specialties:
[sblock]Athletics (throw and catch) Throw the ball, catch the ball. He did it a lot and was pretty good at it.
Weaponry (bat/club) He's never swung a bat at anything but inanimate objects, but if push came to shove, he'd do fairly well defending himself with one.[/sblock]

Derived Stats:
[sblock]Health = 7
Will Power = 5
Size = 5
Defense = 2
Initiative Mod = 8
Speed = 14[/sblock]

Merits:
[sblock] Fame 1
Fast Reflexes 2
Fleet of Foot 3
Iron Stamina 1[/sblock]

You didn't ask for Virtue/Vice, but Darren's would be Fortitude/Pride.

Last edited:

Einan

First Post
I'd like to get in on the ground floor of this.

My concept is Sam Hardwick, Anthropology professor and expert in millenial cults. Specifically Sam teaches at the University of Evansville, Indiana and is currently on sabatical writing a book on the Padanaram settlement near Bedford, IN. (Padanaram is a millenial settlement/commune in Indiana that believes the end of the world is nigh and the only way to survive is to wait out the troubles until the Lord comes for the chosen.)

Sam is a bit of a cynic, but living with various millenial cultists has given him a few useful skills.

Character sheet to follow..

Einan

Shalimar

First Post
I've been thinking it over, and discussing it on the White Wolf boards, and I am going to add three more merits that will be availible during character creation:

Additional Attribute (4pts) you gain 1 extra attribute dot to place where you wish
Additional Ability (2pts) you gain 1 extra dot to place in any ability.
Additional Specialty (1pt) you gain 1 additional specialty for each merit point spent.

Shalimar

First Post
I'd like to apologize for not posting in the past week, things have gotten pretty busy for me, but hopefully they'll settle down after fridaay and I'll be able to give the game the attention it deserves.

Agamon, my concern with your character is the intelligence of 1. That doesn't really depict someone who hasn't had much use for academics, since defaulting on academics means you roll your inteligence at a -3 penalty, it depicts someone who has a fairly low IQ, and most likely a low functional level. I'd suggest looking over the 1 attribute dot for 4 merit dots if you want someone who is street smart and not booksmart.

Sounds ok Einan, I'd like to see some stats for it.

I'd also like to see some stats on Toki's musician.

Dracomeander, I like your character concept. The vacation isn't a problem, shoot up some stats, or if you need help feel free to ask, and I'll be more then willing to walk you through.

B_P Julian is good.

Last edited:

Agamon

Adventurer
Like I said, I'm something of a newbie here, so I'll take any advice I can get. So are you basically saying putting one dot in any attribute makes for a useless PC? I just figured it fit the character type. Book smart, he ain't.

Shalimar

First Post
No, putting only one dot in a stat doesn't make for a useless character...depending on the stat. Generally speaking, a 1 in a stat can be considered a moderate to a major disability. when making an attempt at something that you don't have the relevent ability with your character suffers a penalty to his dice pool. For Physical and Social abilities its a -1 penalty to the dice pool, however, for mental abilites, the penalty is a -3. That on its own signifies someone who isn't book smart, basically, unless your intelligence is a 5, its pretty much blind luck as to whether your character knows something since you only roll 1 die.

If your looking to make a character that hasn't applied themselves academically, but isn't mentally disabled, an intelligence of 2, but with mental abilities as your lowest priority is for you. A character with an intelligence of 1 is mentally handicapped, to the point that they might have trouble dealing with the normal world.

Agamon

Adventurer
Ah, I see. Fair enough, and an easy change to make.

Hey, what if I made him like a Will Farrell character? Would a 1 Int work? :)p Just kidding)

Last edited:

Dracomeander

First Post
Here's the intial stab at my character concept. Might still want to flesh out a bit more of the background.

Ryan Chase, 34 year-old caucasian Insurance Agent and semi-professional Thespian.

Background:
[sblock]Ryan grew up in a family that liked outdoor sports and was introduced to hunting and fishing at a very young age. He did enjoy those activities with his family, but when he hit his teens and didn't develope the physique to be competative at the popular team sports, he started looking around for other activities in school. That is where he discovered his knack, and learned an enjoyment, for live theatre. His natural presence and general popularity lead him into student government where he developed contacts that insured his finding a good college to continue to develope his theatrical talents.

In college, he discovered his was not the only talent that could perform the parts he wanted and realized he needed to work to understand all aspects of the theatre. He applied himself not only to improving his presence on stage but to also learning the various skills needed backstage to create a production. During his brief vacations, he still enjoyed meeting his family for time in the wilderness fishing and hunting, but now his hunting was done with a camera since he couldn't get away from the stage during the actual hunting seasons.

Upon graduating college, Ryan applied himself trying to make it as a professional actor. Of course with acting not being the most reliable of professions, he supplemented his income with retail sales, restaurant wait staff positions, and unskilled construction jobs. Finally, he discovered insurance sales gave him a job where he could take advantage of his ability to deal with people and have enough time to spend in theatrical endeavors.

Realizing he was never going to break into the top tier of actors, he finally took a position in the insurance company in a metropolitan area with a respectable community theatre and has spent the past four years integrating himself into both the community and the theatre.
[/sblock]

Attributes:
[sblock]Intelligence 2
Wits 3
Resolve 2

Strength 2
Dexterity 2
Stamina 2

Presence 3
Manipulation 2
Composure 3
[/sblock]