• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So Ends Civilization(Recruiting) [Storyteller]

Shalimar

First Post
People go about their lives taking for granted the marvels of modern science. Automobiles, trains, and plains move across the globe, transporting people and goods hundreds of miles effortlessly. Telephones, radios, and the internet allow people to communicate across the globe instantaneously. Firearms are the threat of force that keeps the criminal element, and the predatory wild animals at bay. Electricity allows people to store food until its needed, and light the darkness... what if the assumption that these modern masterpieces would always work is wrong? Could you survive?

The characters are normal people, the super-natural does not play a part in the world. The game will start in mid-March in 2006, with everything as of the real world, at least as a jumping off point into the game.

Naturally I want the players to have a shot of survival so the game will be starting away from major cities, possibly in the suburbs, or in some other less populated area. For right now I would like to see character concepts. Something to keep in mind, while some combat ability might be useful, I don't really want to see Rambo, and brain sweat and technical skill can be even more important then the ability to swing an axe or mow people down with a machine gun. I would like to see some variety in the character concepts because a good cross section of skills would be quite benificial.

My inspiration for this game is the two trilogies of novel by S.M. Stirling "Island in a Sea of Time," and "Dies the Fire". As an example of good characters, some of the main characters were a cowboy, an eagle scout, a Marine, an engineer, some SCA hobbyists, a bar owner, etc.

Last edited:

Shalimar

First Post
I am currently trying to decide on which system I will use to run this game, I know that more people are familiar with D20 Modern so I will most likely have a better response with that, however, I am not a great fan of a system theat uses levels.

The two options are D20 Modern, and the World of Darkness Storyteller system. Wont people post to show their interest, they can have some input into the system that I'll use.

If we go D20 Modern, it'll be Level 2 characters, otherwise it'll be standard World of Darkness character creation. So tell me what you guys would like.

RobotRobotI

First Post
Are you looking at the WoD1 or WoD2 system?

I'm sort of interested, although I don't have any character concepts handy that I think would be particularly appropriate. I've got a highschool girl-turned-hunter that I could easily convert back to a normal mortal and then into WoD2.0, but I don't think she'd be much use in a survivalist-centered game. :p

Shalimar

First Post
It would be the most recent WoD rules if we go that way. It seems like the system that will get in the way of the story the least. (I hate the floating difficulties from 1E).

Agamon

Adventurer
I'm still interested. And as I posted in that other thread over there, I'd prefer d20M. Of course, you could just use the equipment lists from the PHB, as the modern equipment won't work... :p

Shalimar

First Post
Agamon said:
I'm still interested. And as I posted in that other thread over there, I'd prefer d20M. Of course, you could just use the equipment lists from the PHB, as the modern equipment won't work... :p

One of the problems to get around if we do go modern (and yes, I would definitely pilliage DnD for equipment lists) is weapon proficiencies. In modern, all the weapons that would be relevant would be covered by one feat (Archaic Weapon's proficiency). And with the level system it'd be at least awhile before people were able to pick it up, and it would pretty much force everyone to take the same feat at 3rd level. I prefer the more generic Brawl/Weaponry/Firearms(including projectile weapons) skills from WOD, I could just assess a -1 or -2 for awhile till people are more familiar.

RobotRobotI

First Post
Personally, I prefer WoD for modern games, especially if they're not expected to be over-the-top.

The idea is that the group is going to work together as a party, yes? The character I'm thinking of would (probably) die on her own, but in a group could be useful.

Agamon

Adventurer
Huh, I'm certainly going to have to pick up these books. I have trouble picturing what would happen if this were to take place. I can understand what might happen if it were to occur over a long period of time (something I've given some thought to, as it is a possible future for us). I suppose there'd probably be a lot of looting (of food, TVs would be useless) and panic and violence.

I assume we would start the game in the normal world and the collapse would happen in game?

I think I like this concept for a character: recently retired major league baseball player. Late thirties, wife and a couple kids and millions of dollars to live happily ever after with. Unfortunately, all that money isn't going to mean squat, right? You'd probably have to do away with the family (maybe not all of them, though) to get him to join up with the other characters, but that would help give him more depth. And while he's no Rambo, he can swing a mean bat. ;)

Remove ads