So even the brain dead can graduate grade school

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
There was a big fluff piece on the news last night. Last December a girl was hit by stray bullets from a driveby and was rendered brain dead. The parents struggled against the doctors to have her kept alive.

The schools made a big fuss about how the girl would have graduated. It seemed so ridiculously pathetic and meaningless. "We're honoring her." How can the girl graduate without finishing the work? And in 6 years, will she get to graduate high school without taking a single class?
It might make the parents feel better, but is this really meaningful?
Or am I just cold, heartless, and insensitive?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
How can the girl graduate without finishing the work?

You know that pretty much every University around gives out honorary doctorates, right?

It might make the parents feel better, but is this really meaningful?

Is it basically just a gesture? Perhaps. But to those in grief - the parents, the friends, the teachers - gestures matter. Showing you care matters. Humans are social creatures, and emotional support from others helps us get through tough times. It won't make it all better, but it'll help them cope just a little bit more.

So, is lifting a bit of the pain and suffering in the world meaningful? Answer that, and you'll know if you're cold and insensitive.

So, you don't think it invalidates or diminishes the accomplishments of those who did the work and put in the efforts?
based on this the answer to this

Or am I just cold, heartless, and insensitive?

is yes

Aside from that, it doesn't look like it's that much of a big deal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honorary_degree

The degree is often conferred as a way of honouring a distinguished visitor's contributions to a specific field or to society in general. It is often given to graduation speakers at a university or college, and the university may derive benefits by association with the person in question. The degree is not recognized by employers as having the same stature as a corresponding earned doctorate degree and should not be represented as such. It is sometimes recommended that such degrees be listed in one's CV as an award and not in their education section, and some institutions of higher education have policies on the use of the title "Dr" in formal correspondence.

All kinds of famous folk seem to get one http://erichmarre.net/famoushonorarydoctors.html

here's Harvard's list http://www.harvard.edu/honorary-degrees

So in this case as Umbran said, it was a feel good gesture.

was

Adventurer
It may be an empty gesture to make the parents feel better. It might also help bring closure to some of her friends and classmates. Either way, it doesn't really diminish anybody Since probably 99% of the public graduates from elementary school, it's not really a recognition that most people fondly cherish for the rest of their life. It will, however, be something that the parents will remember for the rest of theirs. Especially since the chances are good that their child will not live to see a high school graduation.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
So, you don't think it invalidates or diminishes the accomplishments of those who did the work and put in the efforts?

Possibly, but if it brings some comfort to grieving parents then that's a small price to pay.

You also have to remember the culture: there's a lot of fakery and theatricality about US culture - the synchronised applause/standing ovations at the State of the Union, the weird terminology for college students, the obsession with titles - so this is probably quite culturally-appropriate, as I am learning more and more as the years go by that I live in this former US colony with its own particular take on US-inspired fakery/theatricality.

So, yeah, I wouldn't do it and I would find no comfort in it in the same situation but I can understand how someone there (or here) might find it a meaningful experience.

dante_121

Explorer
I seriously doubt anyone would have their nose out of joint over this. I mean seriously, if it does anything to make the poor parents feel a little better that their daughter is being remembered I am all for it.

I think the real question is what sort of person is getting upset by this?

sabrinathecat

Explorer
someone who thinks (insert political activity) is more newsworthy and or important? And that maybe the news should have just let this be something private instead of filling up time with a tear-jerker fluff piece?

And those honorary degrees are for people who still accomplished something. Being on life support for a year doesn't sound like much of an accomplishment, especially when you were not given any choice or say in the matter.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

In a word, no.

Setting aside how, while you seem to be a bit weak on the subject, the world at large understands the concept of an honorary diploma. And if I get you right, we are talking about grade school. Hardly the greatest height the majority of her classmates will reach.

By your report, a young girl had her self ripped away untimely. By comparison to that, any loss others may suffer by including her is... diddly squat. It seems to me that accepting the lost soul alongside her classmates, without being so selfish as to worry about what it says about you, is itself an achievement.

So, if her fellow grade-schoolers don't mind, maybe you shouldn't worry too much about it, hm?

dante_121

Explorer
So now your issue is that was reported. To start with your issue was that she was awarded her certificate.

I think more than anything, I have not lost a child, and it's not our place to judge what parents want to do to remember their child.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads