• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So has the D20 STL been officially revoked?

Angellis_ater

First Post
The idea that was put forth was that they would update the D20STL to include a revokation clause and then, since the license is immediately applicable to all licensors, would then revoke it. That is also pretty much what Scott said would happen January 1st, 2009. However, here we are, one week later - no revokations. I wonder if it was just a PR thing to get people "off the market" or an honest mistake? Perhaps such a revokation lies further down the road, after the GSL revision gets finished. Who knows? (Well, Scott does...)

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
You'd think that cancelling a license would be much easier then revising an existing license. Put out a press release on their website and several news related sites (iCv2, ENWorld, RPG.net), saying that as of this date the license is revoked. Even if they never go through the motions of actually modifying the license and they just say they are adding a termination clause and then are terminating it 5 seconds later, it would clear up so much confusion. I understand everyone at Wizards is busy, but leaving an industry in the dark (on more then one major issue*) is not a way to be an industry leader or to show respect to licensees and the licensee's/their own customers.

*Issues I am referring to:
  • Cancelling of Dungeon/Dragon Magazines (it was Paizo that made the announcement when it really should have been Wizards since it is their property and they should have owned up to their actions)
  • Deceiving the industry about 4E coming (I'm not going to call it lying, but they weren't fully honest either)
  • Never delivering on promised draft versions of the PHB/MM/DMG/license to get 3PPs on board early on.
  • etc (we all know the history).

Ranger REG

Explorer
*Issues I am referring to:
  • Cancelling of Dungeon/Dragon Magazines (it was Paizo that made the announcement when it really should have been Wizards since it is their property and they should have owned up to their actions)
  • Deceiving the industry about 4E coming (I'm not going to call it lying, but they weren't fully honest either)
  • Never delivering on promised draft versions of the PHB/MM/DMG/license to get 3PPs on board early on.
  • etc (we all know the history).
What do you want them to do about that? You have to be brain-dead not to think that 4e is coming. You have to be brain-dead that 4e is not coming before 2010. Sure, you asked that direct question directly to WotC, while they were secretly developing 4e since 2005, and you expect them to spill their secret? They're Wizards of the Coast, not Paladins of the Coast.

It's common in industry to develop secret projects before they're ready to reveal it.

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
What do you want them to do about that?

The general public, I don't have a problem with. That's just the way business works. And yea, I knew. I paid attenction. Every last ounce of doubt from my mind was erased the moment I saw the Rules Compendium announced. But ENWorld polls done just before GenCon 07 showed that 75% of the people here didn't believe that 4E was coming. They weren't paying attenction. But that's not my problem.

How would I do it, if I were handling the transition:
  • Get the 5 major 3PPs to sign NDAs a full year before making the announcement. Tell them flat out that 4E is coming and it will be announced next year and released a year after.
  • Tell them that their input is valuable and highly desired. Show them what they have completed thus far and allow them to playtest inhouse only.
  • Tell them that this game isn't going to be OGL and ask them to help write the license (keep your friends close and your enemies closer), but that Wizards makes the final decision as to what is in it.
  • Allow them (and only them) to release products for 4E on day 1. Everyone else gets a delay.
  • Be willing to license (exclusive, not free) D&D setting to the 3PPs after Wizards did their 3 book run.
With the above, 4E would have been as much a secret as it was before, the license would have been as much under their control as it is now, their system has the confidence of the major publishers and it eliminates any serious chance of competing systems. Wizards sells more core settings books without having to invest time and money into endless splats that never produce as much money. It gives the major publishers a chance to plan/write products, properly advertise and get products into catelogs, know the terms of the license and feel they have a say in its formation, and gives them access to content they never had before. Everyone wins.

My problem isn't that they didn't tell the world that 4E is coming, but that they did not own up to their actions even when it was obvious to those that paid attenction. If they want to be a leader, they have to lead and they have to take actions that makes people want to come along. Making them feel like they matter is a way to help people come along. In short, to be a leader they must demonstrate one thing: upfront honesty.

To date, Wizards has done little to inspire a feeling of value among licensees. Yes, they allowed a free license, but it is completely 1 sided and it took everyone in the industry by surprise just how one sided it is. That does not inspire a feeling that others are valuable or their perspective matters. Infact Wizards steadfastly refused to change their license until Clark said that he wants to use it but cannot. That makes me feel that Clark is valuable to them, not anyone else.

To put it in D&D terms, to be a leader, you need levels in a leader role. What does the leader do, keeps others from falling down. It feels like Wizards has gone back to the TSR days where they said, "This is what we're going to publish and you will like it." I'm not interested in that, neither as a customer nor as a freelancer. Wizards as become as irrelavant to me as TSR was during the 2E days.

EDIT: I prefer to focus on the future then the past. So how can Wizards fix this. Set a meeting date with current and major potential licensees and allow them to voice input and Wizards just takes notes. After they hear their everything the 3PPs have to say, then they begin negotiating. I know Scott Rouse said that he had worked on it and it is probably beyond this point, but truthfully, unless the changes are major (and more then just a way out of the license) the license will only solidify their position of irrelavance.

I've said it before and I will said it again. I am sure that Scott Rouse and many others at Wizards genuinely want many 3pps along for the ride, but actions of the corporation do not mesh up with that. I am not attacking any person there, nor am I calling Wizards evil. I am merely stating my opinion that not all of their actions have been as community inspiring as they could be. Yes, Wizards has the right to do as they see fit. But I also have the right to no longer see them or their actions as relavant and look to others for leadership.

Last edited:

MonkeyKing

First Post
NDA's have proven very ineffective at keeping things a secert, especially in todays digital age. How many bands have had their up coming albums released illgeally on the internet well before the ship date?

Its hard enough tryng to keep things from leaking in house these days, let alone trying to police the actions of outside parties.

There is however no exuse for the GSL not being better written and ready at launch. It should have been one of WotC's top priorities.

There is however no exuse for the GSL not being better written and ready at launch. It should have been one of WotC's top priorities.
Why?

If WotC have decided they neither need nor want 3rd party support, why should the GSL be a priority?

The lack of an acceptable GSL was the deciding factor for me when deciding whether to switch to 4th edition but :-

I imagine I'm in a very small minority of customers (as opposed to publishers) who sees the level of 3rd party support as a key factor in whether to switch to 4th edition; and

If there were fewer things I disliked about the introduction of 4th edition, even I would probably have bought it despite the lack of a decent GSL.

I'm in too small a demographic to matter to WotC.

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
NDA's have proven very ineffective at keeping things a secert, especially in todays digital age. How many bands have had their up coming albums released illgeally on the internet well before the ship date?

For the music industry, where there are whole televisions shows in prime time, magazines and tv channels devoted to following the every burp, fart, and mistake and there are tons of reporters and people wanting their 15 minutes of fame by going against the NDA, sure they do not work so well.

But in an industry so small everyone knows everyone and many are close friends, NDAs are quite effective (heck, plenty of people at Paizo and Green Ronin use to work at Wizards and still play in each other's home games). Besides, if they backstab Wizards, they know full well they're not going to get another license from them again. So it works to their advantage to follow the NDA.

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
Why?

If WotC have decided they neither need nor want 3rd party support, why should the GSL be a priority?

The lack of an acceptable GSL was the deciding factor for me when deciding whether to switch to 4th edition but :-

I imagine I'm in a very small minority of customers (as opposed to publishers) who sees the level of 3rd party support as a key factor in whether to switch to 4th edition; and

If there were fewer things I disliked about the introduction of 4th edition, even I would probably have bought it despite the lack of a decent GSL.

I'm in too small a demographic to matter to WotC.

I'm starting to wonder about that. A month or so ago, there were claims of less then lackluster sales of 4E books beyond the core, both in terms of 3rd party material and in Wizards sales. Yes all the info was anicdotal, but it is the best I've heard.

But my first thought is that those left behind would mostly be those with large libraries of books, those that were fans of a particular 3PP that did not switch over, or those that pre-ordered every book imaginable and had to have it on its first day of release. Those Alpha Gamers are the bread and butter of any company. This would lead to initial sales being high, but future sales being quite low. And while Wizards will undoubtedly build up a new pool of AGs, it does take time.

But this is just internet speculation.

Last edited:

Ranger REG

Explorer
WotC's top priority is getting 4e out so they can make money.

Sorry, but when a key player of the "open gaming movement" -- namely former VP Ryan Dancey -- is no longer there, GSL is becoming less and less important. Oh, they'll get around to it, assuming their Legal Team have no more objections about "opening" up certain material for third-party use.

As Scott Rouse said, their lawyers did red-inked some of their suggestions and comments about his work on the GSL and the SRD he completed before the holiday ... IOW, he'll have to re-edit to include them.

Last edited:

MonkeyKing

First Post
The reason Ranger that the GSL should have been ready at launch is because it would have helped "kill" 3x and made the transition between editons much much smoother.

Now because Wotc has been tardy with releasing a good GSL and cannot legally revoke the OGL it has put itself in the rather unusual postion having having to compete with itself in the form of Pathfinder.

If there had been a good GSL at launch perhaps Paizo might signed it and Pathfinder would be a 4e setting and not the "Real" successor to D&D as some 3x partisans have put it.......

They factured their own brand and that is never a sound buisness practice.

Remove ads