• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So...How are Sales of 4E Product?

Greg K

Legend
and that we just don't see any books on the secondary market because people simply BURNED them angrily after reading them the first time...

D&D 4 can only loose steem after people have actually read the books;)

While searching for 3pp 3e books, I did just see the 3 4e core books being sold together for $16 plus shipping and a 4e monster manual being sold seperately for under $9 + shipping. I wonder if they did not get the memo to burn their books.
;P

Greg K

Legend
Just wondering. When did the first 3e gift set get released? And, how does that and the staggered release schedule of the 3e core books factor into comparisons?

I am sure someone with a financial background would know where to look.
Someone with a financial background? Hold on, I'll ask me.

I talked to me, and me doesn't think such information would be available to anyone but WotC and Hasbro management.

WotC is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Hasbro. For accounting purposes, they are considered part of the same entity and as such separate information likely exists only internally.

Derren

Hero
Someone with a financial background? Hold on, I'll ask me.

I talked to me, and me doesn't think such information would be available to anyone but WotC and Hasbro management.

WotC is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Hasbro. For accounting purposes, they are considered part of the same entity and as such separate information likely exists only internally.

Too bad....
And nothing on Wikileaks either :.-(

malraux

First Post
The 10k or 10q reports would be the only place something like that would possibly be mentioned, unless the company in question decides to issue a press release on that sort of thing.

But shareholders in a public corporation are generally not privy to specific sales numbers of individual items, especially in a company like HAS which has a rather large product catalog. Releasing such information would give competitors an advantage.

Also, public corporations cannot give information like that to individual shareholders just because they call IR. That's insider trading and highly illegal. *

*:IANAL

Gallo22

First Post
Yeah, players handbook vs the gift set.. Not a big difference I guess.. only about 3 times as many books. But yeah, my bad, forgot 3e PHB was on it as well.

You should really have read the thread and links. The amazon bestseller list is based on most of 2008, from January till October, and based on number of customer orders. Hows that not a strong indication of awesome sales?

Or maybe you are one of those that claim that WotC bribed both Amazon.com and the New York Times to be creative with the numbers?

So, when your arguments suck and make no sense what so ever, throwing insults is your way out? :erm:

Just face it, 4e is a success. Have a cookie.

Why do you always have to be so nasty. Every thread I ever see you in your rude, inconsiderate and just a plain jerk.

Derren

Hero
The 10k or 10q reports would be the only place something like that would possibly be mentioned, unless the company in question decides to issue a press release on that sort of thing.

But shareholders in a public corporation are generally not privy to specific sales numbers of individual items, especially in a company like HAS which has a rather large product catalog. Releasing such information would give competitors an advantage.

Also, public corporations cannot give information like that to individual shareholders just because they call IR. That's insider trading and highly illegal. *

*:IANAL

Neither the 10Q and 10K that I found lists subsidiaries separately. What they do is that they sometimes mention WotC when it impacts the finances in a big way (for example WOtC was responsible for lowering the North American profits in 2006 because they invested in online tools).
But while that might give an indication of where WotC is heading in itself its not more useful than amazon sales ranks.
And to see the most actual 10K/Q reports you need to be a member of some finance site.

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
I'm not much interesed in how WotC products are selling but how 3PP products are selling. Is Goodman selling more or less DCCs then 2 years ago, and same with other companies?

malraux

First Post
And to see the most actual 10K/Q reports you need to be a member of some finance site.

No. Public corporations have to make sec filings available. The IR part of the Hasbro website has the most recent 10q available for download.

And you won't find the subsidiaries broken down separately anywhere. Well, maybe wikileaks or the like, but whoever inside the company leaked it would likely be looking at jail time.

I'm not much interesed in how WotC products are selling but how 3PP products are selling. Is Goodman selling more or less DCCs then 2 years ago, and same with other companies?

Goodman said in an interview on YouTube that they had sold more 4E DCCs so far than they had sold 3E DCCs over the past few years.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads