D&D 5E So How Long Will 5E Last For?

Greg K

Legend
What I would want if using 5e as the basis:
1. Every class receives their subclass at first level: Who trains the character should be important and it would make creating variants easier.

2. Clerics: remove armor and weapon proficiency and add an additional decision point at first level such as Cloistered (No armor Simple Weapons), Itinerant (Light Armor, Simple Weapons) , Templar (Medium Armor, Martial Weapons)

3. Swordman: A light armor fighter class for Duelists, Kensei, Musketeers, Swashbucklers. The archetype is its own unique one that falls between the standard fighter and the rogue. Leave the rogue class for Assassin's, Burglars, Cutpurses, Spies and other others that rely on stealth.

4. A separate class for non spellcasting rangers.

5. A shamans: Look at some of the classes from Nigel Findley's Witches (Mayfair Games) for 2e and Steve Kenson's Shaman's Handbook (Green Ronin) as well as read a book on Anthropology of religion.

6. A witch class: Look at Nigel Findley's Witches, Steve Kenson's Witch's Handbook (Green Ronin), and comments by Tom Moldvay (the designer of B/X) from Dragon Magazine regardding witches and what a witch class should be.

7. Split the Monk into two classes: The Martial Artist and the Monk. The former is the characters you typically see in 70's and 80's Shaw Brother's films, Jackie Chan films, and Once Upon A Time in China. They are not the type of characters that develop Tongue of the Sun and Moon or many of the higher level monk abilities. Then, have the monk be the mystical martial artist- types of monks can be divine monks, nature monks, psionic monks.

The divine monks and the nature monks are part spell caster and part martial artist similar. The 3e OA shaman would be example of the latter. Divine Monks would be religious priests that can Turn Undead and spells dealing with things like Blessing, Curing, Detect Good/Evil Exorcism, Restoration. Nature monks would be the guy that goes out into nature for a hermitage and studies nature to become one with the universe. The nature can communicate with and turn spirits and develops spells about communicating with and controlling animals, plants, elements, and weather. It might also have a spirit companion. Both would also have the standard monk abilities. An arcane variant could also be interesting

And for martial arts, research real world martial arts and the ki/chi abilities associated with them!

8. A Skill Point variant.

9. Edit: All spell casting classes have one level prior to gaining first level spells where they only have cantrips to cast. For first level characters that begin with a full caster class, they can gain some of their first level spells to cast as a bonus. These "bonus" first level spells would not be available for characters multi-classing into the first level of a full caster class. They would have to wait until 2nd level.

Last edited:

Sotik

Villager
I am new to the D&D scene so 5E is really my only taste of the brand but I am aware of the life spans of the older editions. However something I see WoTC doing with this edition that I think will change things is their embrace of technology. While some of the older editions have used technology it's not to the extreme as I have seen here. With unearthed arcana, and their beta of their new D&D app I think it will be a lot easier for them to update core rules, and add races, classes and so on then it had been in the past.

See my theory here is thay with older editions they relied more on book releases to make changes to their editions. Now with an app all it takes is an update, and with WoTC being a company that wants to make money I could see editions changes essentially turning into a type of paid DLC thay costs little to publish versus books.

So in short, while I think 6E will happen. I feel if they milk and make the best of the technology they are starting to embrace more, 5E may last longer then predicted.

Soul Stigma

First Post
5E hits on all cylinders for me. I think I'm done on the treadmill of converting my campaigns each edition.

A book of expanded rules, and psionics would be nice.

I'm set for a lifetime after that.

This is where I am. Coming from 1st ed AD&D as my starting point and having played all editions, 5E comes full circle for me, but having picked up all the common sense things that D&D needed when it started out. I'm good!

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Dausuul

Legend
5E is releasing content at a much slower pace than previous editions; it's clearly designed for sustainability over churn. With a very lean team, they can afford to take their time. So I don't think 3E and 4E are good guides here; those editions had something like five times as many salaries to pay.

Just at a guess, I'm going to say 9-10 years, more than 3E or 4E but less than 1E or 2E. There won't ever be a 5.5, exactly, but there will be the occasional Essentials-like release which (while compatible with the original) offers a different take on the core classes. There will be supplements which experiment with new mechanics.

When 6E does roll around, it will be similar to the 1E/2E transition. 6E will use the same core framework as 5E, and the rules will be similar enough that 5E books will be usable with only minor tweaks. The main purpose of 6E will be to consolidate the "evolutions" of 5E and to fix any persistent issues in the core rules.

(As far as evergreen goes: I don't think 5E is the edition that should attempt that. I think they should take their time, experiment via sourcebooks, absorb the results, and use them to craft a 6E which might be the basis for an evergreen game.)

Sacrosanct

Legend
Until 5e came out, our preferred edition was 1e. Have been playing that since 1981, so 31 years (2012 when the playtests came). I would be just fine playing 5e for as long as I played 1e. So I'm good. Besides, I think 5e is just fine by the fact that most of the "problems" people have listed about it are hardly universal, and always personal player preferences. In fact, one person's problems is another's preferred feature. So that says to me that the overall game is pretty spot on.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Just at a guess, I'm going to say 9-10 years, more than 3E or 4E but less than 1E or 2E.

If 5e lasts another 10 years, that will be 13 years. Longer than any other edition (well, maybe not basic if you consider BECMI and the Rules Cyclopedia the same thing). 1e PHB came out in 1978, and the 2e PHB came out in 1989, and 3e came out in 2000 IIRC. That means 10-11 years for each edition of AD&D.

*Edit* I just realized you meant 9-10 years total, not ANOTHER 9-10 years. My bad.

happyhermit

Adventurer
I am new to the D&D scene so 5E is really my only taste of the brand but I am aware of the life spans of the older editions. However something I see WoTC doing with this edition that I think will change things is their embrace of technology. While some of the older editions have used technology it's not to the extreme as I have seen here. With unearthed arcana, and their beta of their new D&D app I think it will be a lot easier for them to update core rules, and add races, classes and so on then it had been in the past.

See my theory here is thay with older editions they relied more on book releases to make changes to their editions. Now with an app all it takes is an update, and with WoTC being a company that wants to make money I could see editions changes essentially turning into a type of paid DLC thay costs little to publish versus books.

So in short, while I think 6E will happen. I feel if they milk and make the best of the technology they are starting to embrace more, 5E may last longer then predicted.

You probably weren't around for 4e. With that system they were very close to the approach you are referring to. The rules were very close to ever evolving because the approach to errata was to constantly tweak powers, DCs, rules, etc. They also had means of distributing these things digitally, which became very widespread, the system was also built in a way that made these tools much easier (keywords, etc). They offered a subscription based service to keep up with the releases and rules changes digitally. With 5e they STRONGLY moved away from that model, to go backwards when the current model is much more successful is unlikely. Wotc and Hasbro want D&D (the TTRPG) to be profitable, but the last thing in the world they want is to sacrifice the "brand" (which means popularity, number of people interacting with it, positive experiences with it, etc.) to achieve that profitability. The current strategy is building the brand and achieving profitability, whereas many of the potential shifts away from that (making an app central to the game) could cause people to disengage.

Oofta

Legend
If we are pessimists, then the next crunch book will replace all classes with the Paladin, and 5e will be rejected and replaced with 6e next year.

Gnomish, rapier wielding paladins. And all printed material or digital copies of 5E will self destruct in 5...4...3... ;)

Zardnaar

Legend
Gnome Paladins touching rapiers self immolate in my worlds. Drow have a similar opinion about scimitars, they are deathly afraid of them.

Remove ads