D&D 5E So How Long Will 5E Last For?

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I suspect a lot of new players would find all the 3.x library a bit...thick.

Anecdotal evidence, but I can definitely attest to that. I ran my players through their first campaign with only a few options outside of the PHB (I think the original four Complete series and the Eberron Campaign Setting was it). After we got the end of the campaign I thought everyone was ready to open the whole catalog up. It basically killed the campaign.

It took the release of 5e to revive it again.

Zardnaar

Legend
Anecdotal evidence, but I can definitely attest to that. I ran my players through their first campaign with only a few options outside of the PHB (I think the original four Complete series and the Eberron Campaign Setting was it). After we got the end of the campaign I thought everyone was ready to open the whole catalog up. It basically killed the campaign.

It took the release of 5e to revive it again.

Towards the end of 3.5 Ithink I allowed.

MM,PHB, DMG
1st for complete books
Magic Item Compendium
Spell Compendium
PHB2

It helped keep things manageable along with a banned list of spells, feats and PRCS,

Oofta

Legend
I stopped and went back to the safety of 2nd ed, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

C'mon. You only needed a few books. B-)
book-pile.jpg

Wulffolk

Explorer
Over the last nearly 40 years I have played every edition except for 4th, which was D&D in name only. I did buy the 4th ed PHB to give it a chance, but I hated it. I even tried Neverwinter Online briefly and still hated 4e.

Prior to 5th ed my favorite was 3rd. This was mostly because of NWN 1 & 2. 3e made for a much better game system in a CRPG, in my opinion. I played NWN for a very long time on a customized persistent world server with an awesome core group of other players, and the limited version of 3e without the bloat of all the extra books worked great.

5e has since become my favorite edition. It took much of what was good about 3e, ignored most of the mistakes made with 4e, and rekindled the interest of many people that have walked away from the hobby.

My biggest problem with 5e is the nearly non-existant release schedule. I hate adventure paths. I only run custom sandbox settings with story lines dictated by the characters. There has been very little else published beyond the core books. I would love to see big books of fluff with little bits of crunch that are specific to one topic, such as a book for each race or a group of races. Maybe one for the common races (elf, dwarf, human, halfling) and one for the secondary races (orcs, tieflings, aasimar, dragonkin), so long as there is absolutely no mention of Gnomes anywhere! SCAG and Volo's are the only two books since the initial release of 5e that i even considered buying. However, i am looking forward to the big book of crunch later this year.

Short of being given the authority to completely re-design D&D according to my personal preferences and vision, I can't think of any reason to move beyond 5e. I can see it having a very long run, at least until the company needs to generate more revenue.

Henry

Autoexreginated
3. Swordman: A light armor fighter class for Duelists, Kensei, Musketeers, Swashbucklers. The archetype is its own unique one that falls between the standard fighter and the rogue. Leave the rogue class for Assassin's, Burglars, Cutpurses, Spies and other others that rely on stealth.
Just as an aside, Battlemasters make phenomenal duelists, especially when you start adding in feats as well. I've made two and been very happy with the results, including ripostes, parries, disarms, lunges, even in one case driving off a kraken with a well-placed shot to the eye (menacing attack).

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
One of the problems with 4E is that you couldn't use any of your old 3E material with it (without extensive conversion). It wasn't backwards-compatible. That's a lousy upgrade plan. One of the benefits of Pathfinder is that you CAN use your old 3E material with it, with minimal conversion. This was a strength of 3.5 as well. Granted, 3E couldn't use any older material (without extensive conversion) but at that point, the older material was so mechanically bass-ackwards that it didn't matter, and the 3E release schedule ensured that new material was plentiful.

Prediction: The next edition will be extremely mechanically compatible with 5E, so much so that we might call it 5.5 instead of 6E. "Dungeons & Dragons, Revised Edition" also works. "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons" is something they could try; or conversely, "Basic Dungeons & Dragons." (That's a free PDF, but they could expand it into a boxed-set for the next edition, and that would be totally sweet.) I love the idea of a 50th Anniversary Edition in 2024.

Greg K

Legend
Just as an aside, Battlemasters make phenomenal duelists, especially when you start adding in feats as well. I've made two and been very happy with the results, including ripostes, parries, disarms, lunges, even in one case driving off a kraken with a well-placed shot to the eye (menacing attack).

I am thinking of the light armor fighter archetype of film and literature which does have overlap with the Battlemaster. However, they are not trained in heavy armor and they differ somewhat from the heavy armor fighter. Khaalis's Light Armor Fighter variant on these boards which has access to several battlemaster maneuvers and its own archetypes pretty much hits the mark perfectly for what I have in mind and have wanted to see officially, for many editions (for AD&D, you pretty much had to go to Dragon or a third party such as Bard Game's Complete Adventurer) and I personally disliked the official Swashbuckler class for 3e.

Greg K

Legend
Towards the end of 3.5 Ithink I allowed.

MM,PHB, DMG
1st for complete books
Magic Item Compendium
Spell Compendium
PHB2

It helped keep things manageable along with a banned list of spells, feats and PRCS,

I used the following:
  • 3.0 DMG, PHB, and MM
  • some variants from the DMG, 3.5 Unearthed Arcana
  • the OA Shaman from Oriental Adventures
  • Green Ronin's Psychic's Handbook
  • Green Ronin's Shaman's Handbook
  • Green Ronin's Witch's Handbook
  • Malhavoc's Book of Iron Might for certain elements
  • a handful of other thirty party supplements (mostly DM oriented, but a few player oriented house rules taken from them as well)

edit: and a list of acceptable races and classes plus a list of banned/altered feats, spells,

Last edited:

Remove ads