• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So how many of you made the switch?

Did you make the switch to 3.5?

• Yes ! Out with the old, in with the new

Votes: 374 75.7%
  • No. 3.0 works just fine as it is for me/my group

Votes: 28 5.7%
  • I use a smattering of both, or the choices above are not quite right for me.

Votes: 92 18.6%

JeffB

Legend
The switch over to 3.5 I mean. I've been pretty absent from these forums for the last coupla years and maybe this has been discussed to death so I apologize if it has.

I'm just curious. I came into a situation where I sold off nearly all my gaming collection (few hundred books, including all my old pre AD&D and AD&D items), and when it came down to whether to keep my 3.5 core books (which I bought, but never used),or my core 3.0 books, I ended up for a few reasons keeping my 3.0 core books and a handful of the early 3.0 releases (modules mostly).

The main reasons I kept my 3.0 books is that I had more 3.0 supplemental material to choose from, there is a ton of it still on the new/used market should I want to purchase some in the future, and I'll be running a very "basic" game so compatibility with new products won't be a huge issue as the 3.0/3.5 market has long since veered off from my tastes/needs (old school/style gamer here: For the most part the core books have all the crunch/options I'll need/want).

I know 3.5 "fixed" some things, but from my reading 3.5 seemed to be mainly just a better/clearer presentation than 3.0.

So did you switch over?
If so, why?
If not, why?
or do you use a combination of the two?

Thanks in advance! :)

P.S. was there ever a second printing of the 3.0 DMG, and MM? I do have the 2nd print 3.0 PHB.

Crothian

First Post
Ya, we switched when 3.5 came out. The classes are abit better, the DMG is a lot better and I'm happy with the improvements on the game.

sjmiller

Explorer
Crothian said:
Ya, we switched when 3.5 came out. The classes are abit better, the DMG is a lot better and I'm happy with the improvements on the game.
First, I will say that my group did not switch. We started shortly before 3.5 came out and we decided that nobody wanted to spend the money buying a second set of books. Besides, the changes were not all that dramatic.

Now, getting to the quote. I know they "fixed" the Ranger and made some changes to the Druid, but what other changes were made to classes?

Crothian

First Post
sjmiller said:
Now, getting to the quote. I know they "fixed" the Ranger and made some changes to the Druid, but what other changes were made to classes?

The Bard and Paladin got some changes as well. I don't recall it all perfectly, I no long have 3.0 books having found good homes for them all.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
We switched reluctantly. They screwed some stuff up in my opinion, but there were more improvements than steps back. We use a mostly-3.5 hybrid.

dragonlady

First Post
Should have been an option for.."No, I'm still using 1st and or 2nd ed.
I got some of the 3.0 books and 3.5 but haven't taken to either version.

Remove ads