• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So... is anyone else coming around?

Darkwolf71

First Post
Still firmly non-commited either way. However as many have said, the more I hear, the more I seem to move towards not liking 4e.

The funny thing is. The D&DI stuff that I hated with the white-hot-fury-of-a-thousand-burning-suns... I am actually getting kind of exited about. (Not the magazines, that still pisses me off.) I can honestly see me going both directions. Staying with 3.5 in my tabletop gaming group (assuming that's the concensus.) but using the Online Tabletop system as well, which means 4e. Of course, that's dependent on the priceing model the end up with.

We'll see.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I never had much of a problem with those things. My biggest concerns (will monsters be too narrowly focused? how much info will the SRD include? is the implied setting of 4e going to take over? have they oversimplified anything that needs complexity?) aren't likely to be addressed until we have the books.

I AM kind of glad they went with Dragonborn instead of Drow for the other core race, though. :)

MonkeeGalore

First Post
When I first saw the Gencon presentation movie, I wasn’t particularly interested in 4ed, but I’m more or less firmly leaning towards going to 4ed now. The deal breaker for me is how the mechanics work in actual play, so I’m looking forward to playtests and feedback by non-WoTC staff. As it has been already stated, most information we’ve gotten is just small pieces to that puzzle.

Some of the things that make me optimistic are:
- Simplified combat / stat blocks for the DM
- The promise that large, epic fights with lots of opponents will run smoother
- Fewer prestige classes
- Less focus on magic items
- Fewer game-breaking spells

If they can pull these things of, while still keeping the same level of options in combat and in character creation as 3.5E, I’m pretty sure I’ll love this game.

So far as all the fluff changes go, I don’t really care either way. Since my native language isn’t English, my group and I will be changing all names anyway, and even if the fluff is hard-coded into core, I don’t think it requires much work to change anyway. It was never a problem in 3rd edition, even though those rules had plenty of fluff in core.

But again, I’m looking forward to seeing some feedback from people who have actually played the game and has no direct connection to WoTC.

Gloombunny

First Post
I was intensely happy about the 4e news early on, but the more recent stuff is kinda tempering my enthusiasm. I don't dislike Golden Wyvern Adept anywhere near as much as some people, but it still seems a bit odd to me. More importantly, I'm displeased to hear that they're making a bigger deal out of psionics, that there's still going to be a barbarian class, that druids will be even more shapeshifting-focused, that halflings are even a little bit more like kender, and perhaps most of all I'm very dismayed about the new tieflings, 'cuz I really liked the old-fashioned kind.

Maybe I should go read some of the old 4e news again to remind me why I'm happy about this. ^_^

RithTheAwakener

First Post
I am 99% happy with the "information" we have. The 1% I'm questionable about is the shift in spell casting from 1st-9th level spells to the "each level gets its own spell/power level". It could turn out very cool, or very boring, but we will have to wait and see.

OakwoodDM

First Post
You see, I was positive from the get go, even about D&DI stuff, and every piece of mechanical news I've heard has made me more happy about 4e. The fluff doesn't bother me. Some of it I like, some of it is very 'meh', but none of it raised the sort of ire it seems to raise in some people here.

The only thing I've been turned off from in recent weeks is the DI stuff. I'd love to be able to play on an online gametable with my friends, but unless registering the MM unlocks the miniatures for all the monsters within said tome, I'll put the effort into getting together with them and playing IRL.

Darkwolf71

First Post
OakwoodDM said:
I'd love to be able to play on an online gametable with my friends, but unless registering the MM unlocks the miniatures for all the monsters within said tome, I'll put the effort into getting together with them and playing IRL.
As I understand, from the GamerSteve interview, regestering the MM will unlock 'tokens' which can be used. The 3d minis will have to be purchased a la MTG:O. :\

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads