• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So is that it? (re: the setting announcements)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Okay, this is the problem with relying on spoken interviews for "news".

Maybe there's another setting coming in August that's like Eberron. Perhaps Dark Sun, as they seem to be doubling down on getting the psion out.
Or not. Maybe Stewart mispoke and meant two settings this year with one this summer being for the fans. Or maybe he meant hardcore "WotC" fans and was including people who like both D&D and MtG in the mix.

We don't know.

The actual interview said:
"Next month we're going to talk about a couple of different settings that people can start playing as early as this year," Stewart said.​
Okay, we have the two settings now. And we'll be playing them this year. Checkmark.

Also stated:
Dungeons & Dragons plans to start talking about the new product as early as next month. "We have two surprises that I think hardcore D&D fans are really going to love coming this summer," Stewart said. "And then I think we got one surprise that's going to release later this year that we've not told anyone about. We're going to announce it in July."​
Okay, so two surprises for summer and one for later this year.

So one surprise is Eberron, one is Ravanica. Which covers the two settings mentioned above. The third surprise... dunno. It could be Eberron's PDF and being added to the Guild is two separate surprises. Or the Eberron book and redone artificer. Or the announcement of the collector's edition/ giftset could also be one of the surprises as well.
Heck, they could even have been referring to the board games or colouring books.

Honestly, I'm assuming this is it for a while.
They don't want to overload the Guild with content and likely want people to focus on what's out and what's coming before adding too much new content and options. I wouldn't be surprised to see more products like this on the Guild though in a year or even six months.
There could be another surprise coming, but it's likely not a setting.

Reading the tealeaves, I'd wager on Dark Sun getting a similar treatment within the year (about when the Psion is UA ready, at least).

Li Shenron

Legend
You can get the UA Races of Eberron right now on the website for free.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/races-eberron

You might need to wait a bit to see if they decide to release Dragonmarks as a UA, but I would imagine those will probably appear soon too for free. And a new and updated UA Artificer will also probably be arriving shortly as well I'd imagine.

Dragonmarks appeared in the very FIRST UA ever, something like 3 years ago.

Li Shenron

Legend
I am not interested in Eberron but I think the idea of offering a 'living' PDF which is updated and refined until a final version is achieved is good. Apparently the alternatives would have been either an unfinished/unrefined product now, or a good product but only after waiting at least another year. The chosen idea gets the best of both worlds, and is similar to what was done for 5e core rules, except that you have to pay already. Consider it a sort of kickstarter and it would look better.

This however works only because it's a digital book. It wouldn't work for a printed book, in which case you'd probably had to pay for each update, and that's why I've always been strongly against living core rules.

Li Shenron

Legend
Oh and also it's great to hear about print on demand.

I don't know how common it has been in D&D, or if you were always on your own so far. But there are book publishers like Mcgraw-Hill who have been offering it for years and it costs almost the same as a mass-printed book, so I don't see why it would be difficult to offer it as a default on every PDF.

Remove ads