• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So, my game is getting big...

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Well, it was a fun session! I had a little difficulty guaging encounter levels, and nearly killed the party. Unfortunately, the newest player (Eccles) lost his character during his first session, which I feel a little bad about. It was one of those 1-HP-either-way situations.

Still, all in all, the larger numbers didn't cause too much difficulty. As a group, we decided to drop all the cohorts to keep it down to a seven-member party. I enjoyed it!

Kealios

Explorer
D'karr said:
Morrus,

I've been running the same campaign for close to 4 years (monthly game) with a large group 7-12 players.

A friend of mine was running into the same problem when his group started to grow and asked me for some advice. I wrote a long "essay" about challenging large parties. It might also be helpful to you. Let me know if you're interested and where to send it.

I'd love a copy of this as well. You can reach me at kealios@sbcglobal.net. Advice from others is always appreciated, especially in essay form :)

Trainz

Explorer
I have to admit, very rarely have I DM'ed for groups over 4. Still, when it happened, I was asking my most experienced player (Jerome) to "assist" me i.e. since he knows my rules, the players would ask him for assistance during fights, level-ups, and other rules stuff.

I highly recommend you designate one of your players as an "assistant", playing the game, but answering player's questions when he knows the answer.

Trainz

Explorer
MoriaCatlinChattal said:
I don't know what your complaining about. I used to have a group of fifteen players.
Welcome aboard Moria !

Surely you don't expect us to think that a group of "15" is managable without great effort ?

Well.......... It was kind of a disaster. It was fine to start with, but I made the mistake of taking it into a world from a book, and then I tried to make my own races and classes to go with it. They were way to powerful! But I did managed to keep it going for over a year.

Trainz

Explorer
MoriaCatlinChattal said:
Well.......... It was kind of a disaster. It was fine to start with, but I made the mistake of taking it into a world from a book, and then I tried to make my own races and classes to go with it. They were way to powerful! But I did managed to keep it going for over a year.
A year. A feat indeed.

Personally I would have created two games, and split the players between them, or better yet, ask one of the players to DM (one of those fifteen MUST have been a DM) half the group with a different game (in which I would have PLAYED of course !).

diaglo

Adventurer
Trainz said:
I have to admit, very rarely have I DM'ed for groups over 4. Still, when it happened, I was asking my most experienced player (Jerome) to "assist" me i.e. since he knows my rules, the players would ask him for assistance during fights, level-ups, and other rules stuff.

I highly recommend you designate one of your players as an "assistant", playing the game, but answering player's questions when he knows the answer.

ha, Olde Skool rulz.... the "assistant" back in the daye was known as a "Caller"

Darklone

Couldn't you and Jeremy help each other out ;)?

D'Harr or so, would you mind if oghma would forward these files to me as well, Oghma, if you'd please... ;)?

Remove ads