So tell me about Dragon Warriors

Belgos

Explorer
Just got my DW corebook in the mail today, have to say after the snooze fest that 4e was to read, it's great to actually open up an rpg that actually makes me what to devote the time to reading it that is necessary to play the game. So far I'm liking what I've read and if anything would compare it's tone and flavor as very Warhammer-esque. In fact I would say this book could easily be to Warhammer FRPG what D&D was to AD&D....I'll post more after I digest it.

Dragon Warriors and Warhammer are quite incestuous. Oliver Johnson and Dave Morris have worked for Ian Livingstone and Steve Jackson on a number of occasions, (White Dwarf, Warlock Magazine, Fighting Fantasy Gamebooks et.al). I remember reading somewhere that some of their ideas segued into Warhammer; I recall reading somewhere that they were working on 'Tetsubo' the 'Oriental Adventures' of Warhammer Fantasy Battle at one stage. Of course, I cannot find my source now. Warhammer Fantasy Battle started around 1983, Dragon Warriors was first published by Corgi Books in 1985, I think. Morris has also worked with Jamie Thompson, who is another guy to work with Games Workshop. If you can, have a look at Fabled Lands, Way of the Tiger and Bloodsword Gamebooks. Quality stuff. Also Talisman of Death. My all-time favourite.

Ydars

Explorer
Not at all; Dragon Warriors predates that video-game by a long way I think. Dragon Warrior video-game came out in about 1989 whereas the RPG dates from the early 1980s.

Imaro

Legend
Dragon Warriors and Warhammer are quite incestuous. Oliver Johnson and Dave Morris have worked for Ian Livingstone and Steve Jackson on a number of occasions, (White Dwarf, Warlock Magazine, Fighting Fantasy Gamebooks et.al). I remember reading somewhere that some of their ideas segued into Warhammer; I recall reading somewhere that they were working on 'Tetsubo' the 'Oriental Adventures' of Warhammer Fantasy Battle at one stage. Of course, I cannot find my source now. Warhammer Fantasy Battle started around 1983, Dragon Warriors was first published by Corgi Books in 1985, I think. Morris has also worked with Jamie Thompson, who is another guy to work with Games Workshop. If you can, have a look at Fabled Lands, Way of the Tiger and Bloodsword Gamebooks. Quality stuff. Also Talisman of Death. My all-time favourite.

That's interesting stuff there, especially since this is my first exposure to Dragon Warriors. Never ran into it when I was younger, though I wish I had since I probably would have played this rather than D&D, I think it's tone and style would have fit me better.

Is the Dragon Warriors RPG based of the video game back from the old NES days?

No, I don't think they're related in any way.

Belgos

Explorer
That's interesting stuff there, especially since this is my first exposure to Dragon Warriors. Never ran into it when I was younger, though I wish I had since I probably would have played this rather than D&D, I think it's tone and style would have fit me better.

I noticed that the core book contains the revised rules from books 1-6. I also see that some of the adventures are getting their own releases as well, complete with revised entries and rules. I do hope they corrected the 'read aloud' texts within -- the flavour was great but it did assume a lot of actions from the PCs in that text.

No, no, no no. Do not railroad your PCs. I really hope they fixed it.

EDIT: Removed the link.

Last edited:

Aus_Snow

First Post
Belgos: Nothing personal, but AFAIK, the PDFs you've provided a link to are no longer legal (if they even indisputably were at any stage).

If that's the case, it's not only in (arguably) bad taste, but against the rules of these forums. Even though I'm not any of those who can intervene in such cases, just thought I'd let you know. You might want to fix your post, IOW.

If I'm wrong about any of that, my apologies. No offence intended.

Belgos

Explorer
Belgos: Nothing personal, but AFAIK, the PDFs you've provided a link to are no longer legal (if they even indisputably were at any stage).

If that's the case, it's not only in (arguably) bad taste, but against the rules of these forums. Even though I'm not any of those who can intervene in such cases, just thought I'd let you know. You might want to fix your post, IOW.

If I'm wrong about any of that, my apologies. No offence intended.

Done and done. Link removed.

EDIT: And thinking about your post; I do resent your calling my post 'arguably bad taste'. So apology accepted and in future I would rather you report my initial posts to a suitable moderator as opposed to proffering insults with a caveat apology in an effort to persuade me to do something.

Last edited:

dm4hire

Explorer
I received my copy to the Bestiary today and I must say I like the look of it. It's thin (88 pages) but is still packed with a lot of monster goodness, or should I say Eval! This basically being a revision of the game I have to say it carries a OD&D feel to it in the layout and artwork. Good stuff though and I recommend it if only as a source book.

TheNovaLord

First Post
as many people played it in there youth they look at it with rose tinted glasses

on playing it again it seems old and limiting and you will play it maybe 3 times and put it on the shelves, rather like the original 3-6 books (or how ever many you bought originally)

i quite like some of the artwork though.

Remove ads