• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E So today I realised that half-casters in 5e actually have a distinct feel

ccooke

Adventurer
As opposed to previous editions, that is.

In previous editions, the partial caster classes are mostly a mixture of mechanics from caster and non-caster classes - they get spells and martial or skill abilities and they occasionally have some unique ability that blends the two. There's no unique mechanics for being a half caster, though.

On balance, though, there is a consistent framework in 5e for half-casters with distinct powers that no other type of class has. We have the Paladin and the Ranger at the moment. Consider:

• They get no cantrips
  • They get exactly half the spell slot progression of a full caster
  • They have a mechanic that allows them to spend spell slots for a powerful ability (smite for the paladin, supersense for the ranger)
  • They get access to a unique class of spells that only appear on the spell lists of half casters - Bonus action to cast, duration concentration up to one minute, trigger on the next [melee,ranged or either] weapon attack that hits.

That's purely the magical mechanics. If you look at more general effects, there's even more structural similarity - mostly utility powers at level 1, fighting style at level 2, extra attack at level 5, etc.

It's interesting to find this sort of framework - it makes me think they spent time designing and balancing the half-casters as a distinct mechanical thing in their own right, which I rather like. I especially like their unique half-caster spells (although there needs to be a decent name for that type of spell; attack enhancement?).

I don't know about "supersense" being a powerful ability, but overall I agree.

One reason paladin/sorcerers are so much fun is that even low-level Paladin spells are fantastic. I particularly like Shield of Faith (bonus action +2 AC) and Sanctuary (bonus action no-concentration defense for minimum of one round) at first level, Find Steed (free 400 gp heavy warhorse doing up to 22 DPR + proning, or enabling melee kiting!) at 2nd, and Aura of Vitality at 3rd. No matter where you fork off to Sorcerer (Paladin 6? Paladin 9?) you come away with lots of stuff that is absolutely worthwhile.

ccooke

Adventurer
The Ranger ability depends a bit on the DM, but it's been extremely powerful when I've seen it used. The ability to simply know what challenges you're likely to face is very useful. Examples I've seen: "Hey guys, I'm pretty sure there weren't any fiends around this village the last time we passed it", and "Oh, yeah, that cave we were planning to spend the night in? Well, just so you know, there's a dragon somewhere nearby".

If it revealed number and location it would be more impressive. ("There's a dragon somewhere within six miles" isn't really actionable information.) Even without that, it isn't trash, but I wouldn't call it "powerful" either. It's similar to the Commune With Nature ritual that beast token barbarians get for free at 10th level, or that all druids can prepare. It's useful at best, IMO.

YMMV though, and I don't mean to quibble.

Ashrym

Legend
Primeval awareness is "up to" 6 miles in favored terrain so limiting it to 40 ft meets that criteria. It doesn't necessarily need to be the full 6 miles. So the party approaches a graveyard and the ranger pops a spell slot of a more reasonable size to see if there are undead in the area.

Beastmaster with a hawk companion has it trained to watch for interesting things while travelling and it starts harassing the ranger for attention. The ranger casts beast sense and sends the hawk back up. He sees an old ruins and pops a slot to check possible occupants.

Party wants to go into a dungeon the following day. Ranger checks possible occupants so spellcasters might prepare different spells.

Ranger checks for possible monsters in the area when looking for a safe camp.

Ranger is tracking an owlbear. He knows the direction already and how long ago the creature passed from his tracking abilities but not if it stopped or if he's close. Periodic slot pops let him know when he's closing in on it.

Primeval awareness is one of those abilities that isn't so much what it does as what else can be done with it. Since it only costs a 1st-level slot for most applications it's cheap. A ranger with a trained hawk (beastmaster or not) can send out the hawk for location after sensing monsters, or even use a triangulation strategy.

Not a strong ability but for the cost useful enough.

Primeval awareness is "up to" 6 miles in favored terrain so limiting it to 40 ft meets that criteria. It doesn't necessarily need to be the full 6 miles. So party approaches a graveyard and the ranger pops a spell slot of a more reasonable size to see if there are undead in the area... Not a strong ability but for the cost useful enough.

Hmmm. Under this interpretation, the ranger can binary search to find out exact locations with some effort, or merely to get distances with minimal effort, which makes it better than the druid's Commune With Nature ritual. I'm not really convinced that this is RAW, but I suppose if the ranger PC at my table asked to use it this way I'd probably let him, because otherwise it's almost pointlessly weak.

I agree that intelligence on threats is always great to have, and the more the better.

famousringo

First Post
Yeah, between the boosted spell slots, an overall spell design that keeps low-level spells relevant, and last but not least, exclusive class spells, paladins and rangers feel like some pretty distinct magical warriors. They aren't just fighters+ like they were in the old days.

I wish the ranger spells better supported dual wielder rangers, though. IMO, when it comes to DnD, dual-wield is more classically "ranger" than archery is.

Erik42

First Post
I only have AD&D to compare, but I disagree that the Paladins and Rangers did not have a unique feel in the 1ed game. Even though they were subclasses, each was unique in its abilities and the spellcasting was not essential to this. If the casting were taken away, the classes would have remained unique and pretty viable.

Ashrym

Legend
Hmmm. Under this interpretation, the ranger can binary search to find out exact locations with some effort, or merely to get distances with minimal effort, which makes it better than the druid's Commune With Nature ritual. I'm not really convinced that this is RAW, but I suppose if the ranger PC at my table asked to use it this way I'd probably let him, because otherwise it's almost pointlessly weak.

I agree that intelligence on threats is always great to have, and the more the better.

I would allow the binary search idea with effort too but keep in mind repeat spell slots is the ranger version of spike damage smite burn mode and the slots might go fast or require sleep for more slots. I think the trained bird and beast sense is easier.

Up to is RAW. It might not be intended, I agree, but isn't going to make it OP or anything.

Up to is RAW. It might not be intended, I agree, but isn't going to make it OP or anything.

"Up to" is indeed RAW, but "up to min(desired range, 6 miles)" is not explicitly RAW. There's nothing that says you can decrease your detection radius at will. I agree that it wouldn't make it OP, but I'm thinking mostly of the complexity cost of introducing new house rules.

Remove ads