• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So Torn! WoW of CoV?

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
I went to WoW from City of Heroes.

I agree with Whizbang Dustyboots, but he's a minor diety in the MMORPG world.

By the time I got to level 34 in CoH I just got bored out of my skull. I was in the CoV beta, but by the time I got to level 3, I realized it was pretty much like CoH.

What's nice about WoW is that they have a lot of places I can only describe as "outdoor" dungeons. COH has a bunch of instanced dungeons, which means you'll never have to compete over a monster, but it's not the same experience.

For example, my troll rogue was overlooking a canyon. I found the "boss" I was suppoesed to kill. I'm a time-hindered player so I was thinking about trying to jump down and get to the end right away. Then I see some other guy fighting his way through the canyon. I offered to join up and he said "sure". Five minutes later I completed the quest and I used my hearthstone to teleport back to the inn. You'll never get something like that in CoH.

But CoH is much, much, much friendlier to the casual gamer. There is very little loot. Since all the dungeons (missions) are instanced, you can go at your own pace. Travel can be a pain, even with the travel powers, but it's easy enough to find a safe spot to log off. The only thing CoH doesn't have is variety.

Goodsport

Explorer
But aren't those who are considering playing WoW but aren't familiar with the WoW background & universe (and don't have the time to play all the past Warhammer games) pretty much out of luck? :(

-G

WingOver

First Post
WOW is based on Blizzard's Warcraft universe, not Warhammer.

I was never a fan of Warcraft but I really like WOW. Everything seems new to me and I like what I see so far.

Goodsport

Explorer
WingOver said:

I was never a fan of Warcraft but I really like WOW. Everything seems new to me and I like what I see so far.

Oops, I meant to write Warcraft. Thanks for the clarification. :)

It still seems like I'm out of luck, though. :(

-G

Last edited:

KenM

Banned
Banned
WingOver said:

Now that I think about, IMO the worlds os Warcraft and Warhammer fantasy are almost the same. They both have guns, steampunk type things. The orcs of both worlds look the same.

Dark Jezter

First Post
Goodsport said:
But aren't those who are considering playing WoW but aren't familiar with the WoW background & universe (and don't have the time to play all the past Warhammer games) pretty much out of luck? :(

-G
Why would you need to have already played the previous Warcraft games to enjoy WoW?

I play regularly with several people who have never played a Warcraft game before WoW, and they have no problems with enjoying the game.

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
I've been playing WoW for about 6 weeks now, and loving it -- and you don't need to know anything about the world history to enjoy the game -- I didn't. The setting is a spin on the usual fantasy stuff.

As far as MMORP pedegree goes, I played the original EQ, played Dark Age of Camelot for years, and then played CoH for about 4 months. I enjoyed CoH, but it is pretty thin. What CoH did VERY well was work as a gateway drug. My wife (at the time we were not yet married) was never interested in playing DAOC, but got curious about CoH, and eventually got her own computer and account and had joined the group. Now she's playing WOW with my gang of geek friends, and I don't think I ever could have gotten her to play WoW without CoH first. So, even though we passed through CoH quickly, it will always be a game we have fond memories of.

But, WOW is a very, very good game. I keep waiting for the novelty to wear off, and to for my gaming to drop back down from my "this new game is too cool" schedule of gaming practically every free moment to my usual "this is the game I play with my friends" schedule of playing once or twice a week as a way of staying in touch. I've never had a game hold it's novelty for so long. It's a rich, interesting world, rewards and encouragement com quickly but not necessarily cheaply, and there's always something interesting around the corner.

About 5 months ago, before I was playing WOW, I found myself standing around a local game ship listening to the ownert lamenting what WOW was doing to his business. I scoffed, and pointed out that there had been very popular MMORPGs before, and he insisted that this one was different.

So I tried it. And I really think it is. Not because it's light years ahead of the competition, really, but because the production values are very good. When they had choices to make, they seem to have been very good at making the right ones -- and the game really does seem to have addressed most of the problems that have plagued other MMORPGS.

-rg

-rg

Krug

Newshound
KenM said:
Now that I think about, IMO the worlds os Warcraft and Warhammer fantasy are almost the same. They both have guns, steampunk type things. The orcs of both worlds look the same.

Not really. Warhammer's universe is darker and grittier, with magic being low-powered. The orcs in Warcraft are made 'noble', and genrally prettier. ;)

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Well, I finally got the game (WoW) and installed it. i created a Troll Hunter and spent a few hours doing the early quests. it is pretty fun, and the graphics are awesome. I am just not sure what to do next. I don't necessarily want to grind solo forever -- that's how I lost interest in CoH, and I wouldn't mind actually doing a little of the MM part of the MMORPG.

Any suggestions on where to go to find people for raids, RPing, or even PvP? Does EN World have an 'unoffical' guild? Does anyone want to take a newb under their wing?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads