• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So what do/did you study in college? Did you bother with college?

Pbartender

First Post
BA in Physics, with Chemistry, Math and German tossed in... In that order of emphasis. Paid my own way with a full tuition scholarship.

I'm planning on going back to school not for grad school, but to get a second degree in Electrical Engineering or some such.

Ibram

First Post
Just finished up my BS in computer engineering with a computer science minor two weeks ago... now i'm job hunting, which isnt as much fun as i thought it would be (when i tell people im a CpE they tell me about their network admin openings).

ODU class of '05!!!!

Last edited:

DiamondB

Explorer
Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy. Took me 7 years to get it, but that was because I took a true philosophical approach and also studied History, Political Science, English Lit., Creative Writing, and Business. Of course, all that education and I'm using none of it in my real world job and all of it in my gaming.

tarchon

First Post
Pbartender said:
BA in Physics, with Chemistry, Math and German tossed in... In that order of emphasis. Paid my own way with a full tuition scholarship.

I'm planning on going back to school not for grad school, but to get a second degree in Electrical Engineering or some such.
Oh, I did almost exactly that. Don't even consider getting a second BS. From physics, an MS takes almost exactly the same amount of time and could be worth an extra $10k a year as well as a wider range of opportunities. I don't think anyone in EE ever regrets the masters.

Stormborn

Explorer
Started out with a full scholarship to study Engineering in Huntsville, Alabama (home of the Space and Rocket Center and Redstone Arsenal) but moved to a private liberal arts college after my freshman year. There I got a degree in Religion, and lacked 2 courses to make it a double major in Sociology. Because of when courses were scheduled it would have taken me another full year to make that and it wasn't worth the price. I then completed a Master of Divinity with a concentration in theology. The MDiv was once considered a terminal degree, no other graduate level work after, although thats not true anymore. Still takes over 96 semester hours, easily 3 years of full time study, to complete. I have taken a few classes past that, but not really started on any doctoral level work. Always planned too, but life kinda happened and got in the way.

Brennin Magalus

First Post
Stormborn said:
Started out with a full scholarship to study Engineering in Huntsville, Alabama (home of the Space and Rocket Center and Redstone Arsenal) but moved to a private liberal arts college after my freshman year. There I got a degree in Religion, and lacked 2 courses to make it a double major in Sociology. Because of when courses were scheduled it would have taken me another full year to make that and it wasn't worth the price. I then completed a Master of Divinity with a concentration in theology.

Where did you get the MDiv?

Pbartender

First Post
tarchon said:
Oh, I did almost exactly that. Don't even consider getting a second BS. From physics, an MS takes almost exactly the same amount of time and could be worth an extra $10k a year as well as a wider range of opportunities. I don't think anyone in EE ever regrets the masters.

Really? Maybe for EE that's true, but... In my experience, you get a Physics Bachelors or a Physics PhD, never a Masters. A Physics Masters is next to worthless. Aside from teaching high school, there are very, very few jobs requiring a Physics Master's degree (even the teaching Master's is technically Education, not Physics). For every other job you are either over-qualified or under-qualified.

But then again, maybe things have changed since I last looked for a job.

Anyway... I'd still need to get the Bachelor's in EE before I get a Master's in it, and for the job I'm currently working, an EE Ba degree would make a far bigger difference than a Physics Ma.

tarchon

First Post
Pbartender said:
Really? Maybe for EE that's true, but... In my experience, you get a Physics Bachelors or a Physics PhD, never a Masters. A Physics Masters is next to worthless. Aside from teaching high school, there are very, very few jobs requiring a Physics Master's degree (even the teaching Master's is technically Education, not Physics). For every other job you are either over-qualified or under-qualified.

But then again, maybe things have changed since I last looked for a job.

Anyway... I'd still need to get the Bachelor's in EE before I get a Master's in it, and for the job I'm currently working, an EE Ba degree would make a far bigger difference than a Physics Ma.
No, I mean an MS in EE. It's at most an extra semester or two, and depending on the school it really can take exactly the same amount of time as a second BS. The big variable is in how different colleges treat a second bachelors degree. Most of them will force you to do 30+ hours of new course work though.

Remove ads