• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) So what happened to the new and classic campaign settings? (and what's next?)

Aldarc

Legend
As beloved as Nentir Vale is, it was very late 1990s fantasy, rather than 21st century. It was what the developers were interested in, rather a product created for the youngest-ever D&D audience.
Nentir Vale was written from the ground up as a sample setting that supported the assumptions of 4e, which was basically the Millenial edition. Nentir Vale was very much 2008.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Nentir Vale was written from the ground up as a sample setting that supported the assumptions of 4e, which was basically the Millenial edition. Nentir Vale was very much 2008.
Granted, it used avocado toast instead of iron rations, but its fiction and tone were very much in keeping with late 1990s fantasy from what I've seen.

In any case, Millennials != Gen Z

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
Granted, it used avocado toast instead of iron rations, but its fiction and tone were very much in keeping with late 1990s fantasy from what I've seen.

In any case, Millennials != Gen Z
What tropes and trappings would need to be included in a generic fantasy gen Z setting?

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
I think I just fundamentally don't agree that we need a new and better generic fantasy world every 10 years or so because the new generation just won't get what's already in existence.

A good generic fantasy setting should have a degree of timelessness, or at least be capable of fantastical concepts that span a few generations.

Remove ads