• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So what is your favorite module, ever?

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
Treebore said:
He said any edition and any system. So yes, any RPG.

Oh, then I change my answer to "Masks of Nyarlathotep" for Call of Cthulhu.

/M

meomwt

First Post
Best adventure I've ever played in was the Harlequin campaign for Shadowrun. A close runner-up is The Crypt of Saint Bethesda from AEG (it was one of their short adventures in a long, thin booklet). It was run by a Killer DM who nearly handed us our butts on a plate.

Best module I've ever DM'ed would be The Grey Citadel, which has a great plot, some lovely role-playing opportunities and a big dungeon to explore (with some tough combat along the way). Second comes NeMoren's Vault, a first-level campaign starter which is a great little Dungeon Crawl with some plot-heavy twists. I've run it twice and had a blast both times. Third would probably be the 2e adventure Thunderdelve from an old Dungeon magazine (probably 80-something) with dwarves held in thrall and a captured young White Dragon.

Honourable mentions to The Whispering Cairn (part 1 of the AoWAP) which seems to be a solid crawl with some clever twists, The Tomb of Abysthor which I'm itching to run and Return of the Eight. I haven't DM'ed any of these, except for RotE, which I managed to get part-way through before my old 2e game imploded under the weight of scheduling problems.

Nathan P. Mahney

First Post
I haven't played in or DMed a lot of modules, but the one I enjoyed the most was The Shattered Circle. I DMed it, killed of a few characters in interesting circumstance, introduced my most meorable NPC villain. It still gets talked about today, and I can't list many other modules I've ran that can say that.

Stockdale

First Post
This has got to be broken down into old/new school:

Old School: S3 Barrier Peaks
U1 Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh (and still plays good today with my kids)

New School: Gorgaland's Gauntlet (some Dungeon CD)
The Burning Plague (Wizard's freebee)

Justin Cray

First Post
Gates of Firestorm Peak (in a Birthright Campaign).

Marvelous pacing, insane BBEG(s) and the first glimpse of the Far Realm IIRC.

I still get the odd "You know back then? What was that ringing noise during those random realm events?".

Also the various "Planar Transportation Methods" found at the end make for excellent adventure hooks.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
rycanada said:
Fighter's Challenge

You're kidding, right?

Uh, I mean, no disparagement - but that is definitely near the top of my list of the worst modules of all time.

For my own part my very favorite module is N1 - Against the Cult of the Reptile God

BroccoliRage said:
Any edition, any system, whatever. What was the very best module you ever played or DM'ed?
If you truly mean any system and by module you mean any adventure (I like to use module too, but that's because I started playing long enough ago to remember when that's what they were all called) then my favorite ever is "Exit 23" which is included in the Dark•Matter campaign setting for the Alternity ruleset. Great, great little intro adventure written by Monte Cook and 'gang Baur. I've run it to start campaigns off, as one shots, adapted to d20 Modern and Call of Cthulhu and in Alternity, and I'll gladly do it again at the drop of a hat.

Great module.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads