So, who wants to talk about new Doctor Who (spoilers likely)

Herschel

Adventurer
Yeah, it's like having a jumbo jet for taking trips around the world but only that little puddle jumper can land in the Alaskan wilderness.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Not necessarily more powerful/capable - just better suited to a particular task.

What, time travel? What other task is there for a time machine?

If the bracelet can go to more time periods than the TARDIS, it's a more capable time machine.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Containing a swimming pool? Being bigger on the inside than the outside?

Those aren't functions of a time machine.

That's like saying a car isn't a better transport vehicle than an apartment, because, hey "has a car got a bathroom in it?"

Sure, it's a better HOUSE than the bracelet. I won't argue that it isn't a superior living space. It's a worse time machine though.

Nagol

Unimportant
The question? Is there one, other than whatever one we want to ask? That's your question, I guess. My question is "is it a better time machine?"

Which is a better ground vehicle: a dirt bike or a SUV?

The TARDIS seems to have range, power, defences, passenger/carrying capacity, and a host of other advantages -- much like the SUV.

The bracelet seems to have subtlety and ability to penetrate a form of obstacle the TARDIS can't -- much like a dirt bike.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Which is a better ground vehicle: a dirt bike or a SUV?

A dirt bike. A dirt bike is better at traversing ground. A time-bracelet is better at time travel.

The fact that a TARDIS and an SUV are good at other things is immaterial. A microwave is good at cooking things, but that doesn't make it qual to the dirt bike at traversing ground.

The TARDIS seems to have range, power, defences, passenger/carrying capacity, and a host of other advantages -- much like the SUV.

Exactly - things which aren't time travel. The TARDIS is a better house. The time-bracelet is a better time machine.

Fast Learner

First Post
The question? Is there one, other than whatever one we want to ask? That's your question, I guess. My question is "is it a better time machine?"

I think it's the question that matters, yeah, based on your complaints. If it was a better time machine but couldn't do everything else the Doctor wanted it to, would that somehow make him less of a Lord of Time and Space?

If I was the world's best brain surgeon and there was a laser scalpel that did a certain part of my job better than my other tools, but wasn't what I actually needed the vast majority of the time, assuming I can't easily switch tools, am I now no longer the best brain surgeon?

Remove ads